Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chrome etc sockets - best quality and price, where?

Options
  • 18-07-2008 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

Anyone any advice regarding NOT going for white sockets? Like the chrome look but wondering about price and quality.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

My wife ordered from these.
    http://www.tradesmanelectrical.co.uk/
    Excellent service and price relating to black-nickel with toggle switch.

From a personal perspective, unless you have very deep back boxes and very flat surfaces (tiling etc), stay clear of the flat plate type.

They use more space at back and will bulge if not enough, plus they amplify any curves in wall or steps in tiling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BreeVdK

Thanks, did you happen to buy spot lights too by any chance? We want to go for energy efficient and wondering what to go for in a chrome finish. Will they work over here too?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

i would recomend a few brands all of which do a flat plate type such as heritage, bg and mk. your walls have to be dead flat to accomadate them but there worth it. other then that ied recoment brushed chrome or satin nickel as the shiney/polished chrome is easy to mark and get grubby quickly.
    i would recomend buying them in your local electrical wholesaler as it this makes it easier to get spares or additional fixtures. nothing worse than trying to get an exact match if one goes faulty or missing.im in the middle of wiring up some sockets so if you want me to post some pics of the type i went for let me know.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Hi, we got the Deta flat plate in brushed chrome/satin nickel from CEF in Waterford. Very nice they are too. We got data plates, TV plates etc. so they all match. Nice big terminals.

As another poster says you need to a) have really flat walls or b) add another gasket around the edge so they sit nicely (this also means you can paint without taking them off).

If you're using the insulated plasterboard you'll need to get a noggin put in or use the drywall boxes (or really long screws which are a nightmare) to get a decent fixing, remember you shouldn't chase the insulation.

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

also,

MK Aspect range has a small lip, they look flat but are more forgiving with poor wall finish compared to true flat ranged like Edge or MEM flat range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭u2thepale

Stoner wrote: »
    also,

MK Aspect range has a small lip, they look flat but are more forgiving with poor wall finish compared to true flat ranged like Edge or MEM flat range.

Anyone know retailers that stock the MK Aspect range. Everything i "google " seems to be for wholesalers ....?
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Anyone know retailers that stock the MK Aspect range. Everything i "google " seems to be for wholesalers ....?
    They are the best IMHO, but very, very expensive! Try the wholesalers mentioned in the sticky above. I think when you see the price you will not go for hem.

Deta flat plate in brushed chrome/satin nickel is not quite as good, but way cheaper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

The mk is quality and safety and has the complete range .i've just used the 'click 'range and they seem ok (from cef). the deta flatplate range needs 35mm flush boxes for a proper fit

Advertisement