Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking at an S3

Options
  • 18-07-2008 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I'm thinking of buying a 2002 Audi S3, 1.8T 20V, 225Bhp.
    Has anyone on this site any recommendations or info on the S3?
    Or anyone who has one at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

A good mate of mine had one for 12 months. Its a very planted car, really sticks to the road, its pretty fast too, but I would not call it a huge amount of fun. A great car for point to point speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

very heavy car, fast but lacks feel through the wheel. What about a cupra R.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

Have a look over here, vagdrivers.net

Irish site and a good few of the guys on there have had one of these at one time or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Black Beard

I know they're a bit of a porker, but if i can get it chipped or mapped to about 260-270Bhp it should compensate for the extra weight

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

If that's 02 D 53 it has been going from pillar to post for months. Be sure to get it fully check over.

They are a quick car when re-mapped. Like you said, the extra torque compensates for the weight...

• Advertisement

Yeah i was looking at 02 D 53, it looks good but has been up for sale for a long time, do you reckon it's a bit suspect?

Yeah i was looking at 02 D 53, it looks good but has been up for sale for a long time, do you reckon it's a bit suspect?

It's been passed around the trade a few times. It was in a traders place around from me a couple of weeks ago for a day but they didnt take it in. Not sure why, but they are fussy at the best of times. Might just the the whole 'recession' thing...but its been for sale ages now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Looks very different in this advert:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/S3/1.8T-225BHP/1083060/

S.

That pic i put up is of another one in Galway, has the chrome mirrors. i think the 02 D 53 is a nicer car, but not sure why it's been up for sale for a while. The dealer is offering warranty, don't know for how long

That pic i put up is of another one in Galway, has the chrome mirrors. i think the 02 D 53 is a nicer car, but not sure why it's been up for sale for a while. The dealer is offering warranty, don't know for how long

Dealer warranty doesnt really mean they have any confidence in the car. They buy a warranty from a company, and all your claims go through them, so the dealer will never have to get involved or hear from you again. Alot of people think if there is a warranty, the dealer must be confident in the car - but not always.

That's not to say the car is in a bad way - alot of cars just aren't selling at the moment.

• Advertisement

I'll have to get a mechanic to have a look at it, but with no ramp, and so much of the Audi engine buried, not sure if it will come up with much. Is there any service which is similar to the RAC check in the uk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I know they're a bit of a porker, but if i can get it chipped or mapped to about 260-270Bhp it should compensate for the extra weight

Not when it comes to cornering and braking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mark_eire

Thats my car!! lol
    Have to say, it's one of the best cars I've had and is as tight and nice to drive as most cars with 30k miles!!
    It has a book full of receipts and service history,
    If interested, give me a buzz your welcome to put the car through any test!
    I've a new car bought and need to sell the s3 soon so that's why I've dropped so far on the price!

Advertisement