Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GOK

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I only copped it recently that GOK was a he!!

Bet you feel guilty for all those nights in alone now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

6th wrote: »
    Bet you feel guilty for all those nights in alone now ;)

I feel confused :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭WilmaRidesAgain

Gok Wan is a [EMAIL="w@nker"]w@nker[/EMAIL] of the highest order, he takes fat neglected women and "transforms" them into homogenised clones using a small repetoire of predictable makeover tricks....

His nauseatingly patronising "patter" will predictably include shyte about how fantastic the victims "knockers" are while later he will head tilt in "mock sympathy" while the makeover victim blubs in relief that a gay man who is being paid to tells her she is "beautiful" VOMIT

Its all so formulaic and cringemaking, watch with bated breath as the chubby sheep victims shave their legs (shock!!!) slap on a bit of fake tan and make up (suprise!) and get their hair cut and coloured (gasp in wonderment:eek:) and then don the predicable Dot Perkins empire line print smock and palazzo pants so beloved GOK the c0ck, finish it all off with ZZZZZZZZZ kitten heels, accessorise with a belt !!! (swoon) a couple of wooden bangles, and wait for the "reveal" (prod yourself of of the coma) hey presto another Gak, sorry I mean Gok clone is unleashed on the unsuspecting world.

Where is she, oops there she is, sorry I missed her, she blends in with the WALLPAPER !!! :D

The point being, if (!!!) ever I need advice on how to look hot, I will not be asking a gay man with plucked eyebrows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

anniehoo wrote: »
    He seems really genuine

Anyone who puts so much effort into their outward appearance has something to hide, can't be trusted and is less genuine than the Calwin Kwein sweatshirts in an asian market.
    These people should be mercilessly hunted down like the dogs they are and impaled arse first on a hatstand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Foj2007

Oh dear WilmaRidesAgain...have you got issues?? You dont have to watch it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SpookyDoll

Ha Ha Wilma!!!! Right on the money!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭WilmaRidesAgain

Dont worry Foj, I dont, saw it once, thats one hour of my life I will never get back again! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Foj2007

If you only watched it once, how can you be so passionate about him being a w@nker of the the highest order. A little over the top dont you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Gok Wan is a [EMAIL="w@nker"]w@nker[/EMAIL] of the highest order, he takes fat neglected women and "transforms" them into homogenised clones using a small repetoire of predictable makeover tricks....

His nauseatingly patronising "patter" will predictably include shyte about how fantastic the victims "knockers" are while later he will head tilt in "mock sympathy" while the makeover victim blubs in relief that a gay man who is being paid to tells her she is "beautiful" VOMIT

Its all so formulaic and cringemaking, watch with bated breath as the chubby sheep victims shave their legs (shock!!!) slap on a bit of fake tan and make up (suprise!) and get their hair cut and coloured (gasp in wonderment:eek:) and then don the predicable Dot Perkins empire line print smock and palazzo pants so beloved GOK the c0ck, finish it all off with ZZZZZZZZZ kitten heels, accessorise with a belt !!! (swoon) a couple of wooden bangles, and wait for the "reveal" (prod yourself of of the coma) hey presto another Gak, sorry I mean Gok clone is unleashed on the unsuspecting world.

Where is she, oops there she is, sorry I missed her, she blends in with the WALLPAPER !!! :D

The point being, if (!!!) ever I need advice on how to look hot, I will not be asking a gay man with plucked eyebrows.

I think,..I think I love you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If he really cared so much about the fat messes he 'helps' he'd get them in a gym.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

so am I getting this right a nation that helped vote mary harney in as health minister can't see why a gay man with shaved eyebrows can give women style advise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

It's not all fat girls you know. There have been a couple of episodes (fewer than the fat ones admittedly) with "normal" or "skinny" girls who hated their stretchmarks/boyish figure etc.

I would have to disagree with WilmaRidesAgain, he puts together fabulous outfits, suited to each woman's body shape. The reason why alot of them may seem similar is quite often the women are all of the same body shape ("curvy"...ok fat, but with curves) and he dresses them to accentuate their best bits (waist and boobs usually).

People have been saying he should encourage them to lost weight or whatever, but a lot of the time people were. He went to a fat fighters/weight watchers type meeting which had it's fair share of quite heavy people, they were in the process of losing weight but everyone knows that just doesn't happen overnight. He did a photoshoot of these women (which was kinda funny cos there were loads of cakes in the photo...) and when they saw the pictures (the photographer's very good, it's all soft lighting and flattering angles) it gave them a real confidence boost and motivated them to continue their fat fighting. This motivation by making people feel good about themselves is so much better than eroding their self-esteem so they try because they'd feel lousy otherwise

The name of the show, "How to Look Good Naked" is admittedly a bit of a misnomer, "How to look much better with clothes on" would probably be a bit more accurate as Gok Wan shows women little tips and tricks about how to hide their worst bits and accentuate their best, but this usually does involve clothes of some sort (magic knickers- yay!)

Fashion is very subjective so in my opinion Gok Wan has an excellent eye for what looks good, but of coruse people might think otherwise. However, I have never seen a woman look worse at the end of the show than she did before the show.

I got Gok Wan's book for Christmas and it was very good, there was only a small chapter on actually looking good naked (which involved a lot of soft lighting and suitable underwear), it was mainly a fashion book about dressing for your body type. What I really liked was the models he used, for the curvy section he used a size 14 (at a guess) woman with curves as a model, for the "girls with a belly" section he had the same woman as she had a bit of a belly. All the models used were representative of the more common bodytypes out there, so you got a more realisted picture of which clothes would suit you. Even the really skinny model had tiny boobs, as is more common with thin girls than having big boobs.

(it was so hard not to use the phrase "real women" in that last paragraph, I hate that phrase but it was at the tips of my fingers)

I always feel happy and good about myself after watching How to Look Good Naked, even if it's just "thank god i don't look like her, it could be so much worse" a lot of the time it's "hey my giant hips mightn't be so hideous afterall"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

The one episode I watched was a short fat girl. Gok constantly told her that there was nothing wrong with her weight despite the fact that she was clinically obese. Its an absolute disgrace that the message"' it's ok to be fat " is allowed to be broadcast. Its the equivalent of telling people that there is nothing wrong with smoking. I'm all for giving people confidence about their appearance but obesity is a serious health risk. And the fact is that both here and in the UK levels of obesity are increasing rapidly, which will in turn further decimate our already overun health services.
    Sleepy wrote:
    If he really cared so much about the fat messes he 'helps' he'd get them in a gym.

QFT. And some education about food and nutrition wouldn't go astray either.

As for Gok himself, I think he looks like a tool, and acts like one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

The one episode I watched was a short fat girl. Gok constantly told her that there was nothing wrong with her weight despite the fact that she was clinically obese. Its an absolute disgrace that the message"' it's ok to be fat " is allowed to be broadcast.
    The thing is every other makeover style show does that. Some to more extremes than the other like the ones where they send them for plastic surgery. I like the fact that one exists to give confidence and tips to people to make the most of what they have. Vive le difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

WilmaRidesAgain hit the nail on the head!! :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement