Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cruelty to Animals Must Stop. FULL STOP.

Options
  • 18-07-2008 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello Everyone!

For those people who care about animals and who want to see an end to cruelty to animals and animal abuse then i wanted to bring to your attention a very important event that is been organized this year to raise awareness of this important subject and call for tougher laws to protect animals also. The respected animal protection group Animal Rights Action Network (ARAN) is organizing a peaceful rally during World Animal Week to raise awareness of cruelty to animals, bring people and groups who help animals closer and call for stronger laws to protect animals. The group is hoping a few hundred people will come to support the event, details are below.

Date: Sunday October 5th, 2008
    Time: 1.30pm Sharp
    Place: Garden of Remembrance (Meet here before we set off on the march route)

Again cruelty to animals and humane suffering is a well connected and both are very important issues that deserve our attention, if you care about animals then please visit www.aran.ie to learn more about the rally and sign up if you'd like to be kept informed of the event between now and then, thank you.

ARAN
    'Fighting Animal Abuse Across Ireland'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'd imagin you will get a lot of interest, be sure to post closer to the time too, in case people (like me) forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I'll be there and take everyone I can with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Is there anything similar happening in Galway? If you wanna get in contact with some galway, contact the auditor of NUIG animalrights soc. (If you are interested, just send me a PM and I'll get you in contact with her)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 irishveggieboy

Hey everyone!

Thanks for replying - if anyone of you want to be kept informed of our big event plus events in your own city. Just send us an email direct to arancampaigns@eircom.net and we'll keep you posted.

Again thanks for your interest and be sure to keep visiting our website

ARAN
    www.ARAN.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭NoNameRanger

I'm totally against cruelty of animals. But at the same time i kill animals for various reasons, I kill professionally in the name of conservation by controlling deer numbers, i also provide food from this. I kill animals in my personal time for food also. I believe it is a perfectly natural thing for a human to do, at least when i do it myself i know it was done humanely and i believe to respect meat you must process it yourself at least some of the time. People have disassociated meat from animals. I don't agree with causing unnecessary pain to any animal, i always kill as humanely as possible. I congratulate you on some of your campaigns. But i think sometimes groups like yours blow your credibility by pushing it just a little too far. Do you seriously expect to turn everybody into vegetarians? and do you really think you are going to ban angling? do you really think angling should be banned? Hard to take ye seriously to be honest when these views are being expressed. We are humans, this is what we are! We eat flesh and plants, we are omnivores. This is why we are where we are today, the most successful animals on the planet. Will you be proposing culling humans or that we should just stop having babies?;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 irishveggieboy

Hi Everyone,

One of the big campaigns we'll be highlighting at this years exciting event will be the live export of sheep from Australia.

Got a couple of minutes? The video on http://www.handlewithcare.tv/uk/ is a must see, simple just press PLAY and sit back and watch....

Regards,

ARAN
    www.ARAN.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Unfortunatly I can't attend the rally but best of luck to you, and you're doing a great job highlighting such issues! :)

I'm totally against cruelty of animals. But at the same time i kill animals for various reasons, I kill professionally in the name of conservation by controlling deer numbers, i also provide food from this. I kill animals in my personal time for food also. I believe it is a perfectly natural thing for a human to do, at least when i do it myself i know it was done humanely and i believe to respect meat you must process it yourself at least some of the time. People have disassociated meat from animals. I don't agree with causing unnecessary pain to any animal, i always kill as humanely as possible. I congratulate you on some of your campaigns. But i think sometimes groups like yours blow your credibility by pushing it just a little too far. Do you seriously expect to turn everybody into vegetarians? and do you really think you are going to ban angling? do you really think angling should be banned? Hard to take ye seriously to be honest when these views are being expressed. We are humans, this is what we are! We eat flesh and plants, we are omnivores. This is why we are where we are today, the most successful animals on the planet. Will you be proposing culling humans or that we should just stop having babies?;)

Really, it's not natural thing to do since how many animals could you catch/kill with no weapons/tools/traps? Other natural meat eaters/omnivores catch their prey with no "tools" (that I know of!) So really, if we'd never figured out how to sharpen a stone or stick and throw it at an animal ye would still probably be eating bugs or something that we can actually catch without using tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Insects are still animals; it's not a question of scale.

For the record, I completely agree with a lot of what NoNameRanger has expressed. I believe that people should occasionally have to kill their own dinner to appreciate it and where it comes from. It's also the single most ethical way to get your food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

kerrysgold wrote: »
    Really, it's not natural thing to do since how many animals could you catch/kill with no weapons/tools/traps? Other natural meat eaters/omnivores catch their prey with no "tools" (that I know of!) So really, if we'd never figured out how to sharpen a stone or stick and throw it at an animal ye would still probably be eating bugs or something that we can actually catch without using tools.

Well it's not a natural thing to keep and ride horses and you do/did both. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭rosyposy

Hunting with tools has just been natural evolution, the brain evolved and became more intelligent and learned how to use tools...instead of using brute force and strength the brain relies on accuracy, ambush, precision etc...the reason you are so intelligent now is that man came to hunt meat and fed its brain with plenty of protein, increasing its ability.

Ive just read that the Aran group is against angling because it 'hurts'.Does the group have any idea how much money is pumped into conserving the river, water and wildlife quality of our rivers and surrounding habitats for purposes of angling? Do they realise if fishermen werent fishing, much less interest and money would be given to these areas, overgrown rivers, erosion, pollution etc??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

same goes for the work gun clubs and hunts do for local conservation and and habitat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

While I am totally against animal cruelty you will never get my support.
    Banning angling come on, Angling clubs do more for the wild stocks of fish in this country than Aran or peta would ever do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have to agree with a lot of what NoNameRanger and others have said. There are various levels of cruelty, and groups like ARAN can, at times, go too far in that regard. We are not all going to become veggies or ban all live exports. Animals will be bred and slaughtered for food, animals will be hunted for food, and we will trawl or angle for fish. ARAN would be better to stick to specific examples of real cruelty instead of trying to convert us all to an extreme view. Of course I abhor anybody being cruel to an animal; be it a wild animal, farm animal, or pet. But I draw the line at crying about angling or hunting for food. Exports of live animals are necessary for breeding programmes and other reasons.
    I've hunted for food, I've had to kill certain non-native species that threaten our native fauna, I've killed vermin, II've culled native species, 've put animals out of their misery when injured, but my life is caring for our countryside, flora and fauna. ARAN needs to be more specific in it's aims.

BK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

if aran had their way..what would we feed our dogs? lentils and rice cakes:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Most animal rights groups - haven't really checked to see if ARAN are the same and I don't want to make assumptions - would not have us keep dogs as pets. In general they would rather we turn all our pet dogs out into the streets to fend for themselves as nature intended.

Much like they'd rather see all the minks in a mink farm be released into the wild to wreak destruction on all the other species than try to improve circumstances for them on the farm.

As I say I haven't looked closely at the activities and policies of ARAN specifically so I am just saying what I have seen from other groups. If ARAN is different I would love to hear that.

In general I would love to partake in a rally against animal cruelty, but I am reluctant to side with Animal Rights Activists as I believe a softly, softly aproach of trying to convince people to treat animals with respect and look after them properly is much more likely to be listened to. Extreme views just turn people off and they then don't hear the message of how to give their pet animals a better life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

While I am totally against animal cruelty you will never get my support. Banning angling come on

Where does it say ARAN are against angling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭rosyposy

halfway down the main home page, latest news i think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Other natural meat eaters/omnivores catch their prey with no "tools" (that I know of!) So really, if we'd never figured out how to sharpen a stone or stick and throw it at an animal ye would still probably be eating bugs or something that we can actually catch without using tools.

animals have evovled their own "tools" for killing and hunting over the thousands of years. their tools may be in forms of camoflauge skin, teeth, claws etc but the all serve a purpose in the job they need to do.

whitser wrote: »
    if aran had their way..what would we feed our dogs? lentils and rice cakes:rolleyes:

Brilliant :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

sorry but ARAN would never get my vote. The have no commen sense approach to their work.

To be honest ARAN come across to me almost like a college student union body. Its mostly college kids who want to save the world, but really all the want to do is walk around with placards. What those kids need is another vietnam! There are plenty of other more reputable organisations out there who have a lot more common sense to their approach to their issues.

stevoman wrote: »
    sorry but ARAN would never get my vote. The have no commen sense approach to their work.

To be honest ARAN come across to me almost like a college student union body. Its mostly college kids who want to save the world, but really all the want to do is walk around with placards. What those kids need is another vietnam! There are plenty of other more reputable organisations out there who have a lot more common sense to their approach to their issues.

Well put. A very good analogy. It's very student-like and seems to involve a lot of "sexy" protests and nudity (not that I necessarily object to that, but it's not always a practical way to deal with an issue):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Groups like this give people genuinely concerned with animal welfare a bad name imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I have just seen your video and watch all of it sorry to say but what can you expect from the spanish ? they have no problem throwing these animals from the highest towers they can find or cheering on some one for killing a bull thats already been half killed (cowards) I made a decision not to holiday in spain when I was a child and always stayed behind and still trying to convince the family what their money is supporting and have sticked rules on products I buy and the list is getting longer.I know this is not fare to say of some spanish people but I'm not aware of many spanish people who are apposed to there own people for doing this as yet.

As regards Thailand I'm sick telling people to look behind those smiling eyes as they only tell lies. A few years ago The Mail newspaper exposed them for who they really are and found that they put out their cats and dogs with their rubbish bins were the animals are picked up and left in small cramped cages to starve to death or be electrocuted by a cattle prod for hours some times days in the worst way possible. What I did find interesting was that the cats and dogs in the cages on the dump never fought among them selfs and only eat each other when they were dead like a pact of loyalty (I saw we could learn alot more from them than the tia people them selfs) and yet again they are one of the worst for fur farming of cats and dogs labeling it as rabbit fur for the European market and shipping it in through germany as thermal blankets or those little furry cat statue's you find in shop's labeled rabbit fur or the trim on coats, jackets or boots also labeled rabbit fur since when does a rabbit look like a GERMAN SHEPARD OR TORTE CAT. Watch your labels before you buy.If in doth don't buy it no matter how cheap it is.

The muslim countries treat all animals as dirty animals and I believe they have some religious believe about how they kill the animals so there is a hell of a long road ahead with these people to stop this kind of heart ship from caring on remember in most of these countries law is religion and religion is law. I had an argument with a muslim man about there ramadan (religious pilgrimage) were they sacrifice animals to there god or gods or what ever I say the devil if this is the cruelty that go's on and he said they pay someone to cut the animals throat or stab them, we argued for hours about how it is in my eyes not a sacrifice if you have to pay some one to do it for you then it's not a sacrifice.100's of thousands of animals have there throats slit and are still alive when being skinned for processing over a period of a few days or more. These will be the hardest countries to crack.

I was given free tickets and accommodation from my uncle who moved to australia two years ago and have continued to refuse them as I have already expressed my concern over the animal welfare laws in australia and on till these improve yet again I won't be putting money in them to continue to do so. I am very aware that it's not just sheep and farm animals who suffer their's more than can fit on this page to go on about.

I wanted to travel the world a few years ago and the more I looked into these countries the more I ticked of as a place I want ed to see problem is not just putting my money into what they continue to do but to go around pretending like nothing was wrong would have killed me inside to see the countries you have to meet the people and I'd probably spent most of my time in prison for losing my temper with such twisted people.

The bottom line for me is you get use to asking were a product comes from or you'll see it on a box or label if you buy there product you support what they are doing by feeding there economy and I also make it clear why I will not buy the product to the head of their companies with a quick e-mail only takes seconds to write," until changes are made in this country towards how people and animals are treaded I will not purchase a product from you from this country and will shop else were for a product not covered in the blood of cruelty. (name the product)short and sweet.Have a nice day. I have always found a simile product next to it or in another store no problem. And I sleep very well at night shopping this way.

Don't do fishing so can someone please clarify what angling is, is it just fish huck and rode or what?

Don't do fishing so can someone please clarify what angling is, is it just fish huck and rode or what?
    ??????????

...what can you expect from the spanish ? ...As regards Thailand... The muslim countries...animal welfare laws in australia

Watch it now. This is staring to sound racist.;) How sad to view every country in this wonderful world as cruel :( Get a grip.

As for your question on fishing: I haven't the foggiest idea what you're trying to ask. :confused:

River or lake fishing (as opposed to sea fishing) using a worm or spinner (not a fly) is angling I think. Maybe someone could clarify that?

Srameen, if blackcat wants to look at the world that way, then (s)he is going to look at it that way. You wont change opinions by telling people to get a grip. :o

Blackcat, I admire your determination, what countries would you visit? Irelands animal welfare laws are laughable (as you know), do you take steps not to pump your money into this country too?

Angling is a general term for different styles of fishing. Be it sea,game (salmon trout etc) or coarse (pike perch bream etc).

Oh I'm sorry, I was just answering that from years old memories :D

• Advertisement

I agree that the animal welfare in some countries makes Ireland look like animal paradise, but there are a small amount of people trying to help improve things, like that wonderful dog & cat sanctuary in Thailand and some of the buddhist monks etc. help out with looking after some of the street dogs. There is a list of stray friendly hotels as well, i.e. hotels that don't poison the dogs/cats. I don't think you can tar everybody with the same brush though just because they live in a certain country, like someone in the UK might think we are all travellers who keep starved and mangey dogs for example. I think in the countries were animals are still used as transport (e.g. donkeys in the middle east) there is a lot of cruelty/abuse/neglect. I think there is an organisation trying to help donkeys in Israel by providing free vet care or something like that so animals aren't left to suffer because of lack of money.

Advertisement