Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can see network, can't connect

Options
  • 18-07-2008 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all,

I'm really stumped by this one. Having using many different forms of wireless routers and adapters over the years I don't know whether I'm doing something stupid on this occasion as I simply can't connect to my router with my new netgear usb adaptor :confused:

Setup old:
    NTL Broadband 20Mb
    Netgear RangeMax WPN824 V2 router
    Linksys WUSB54G V4 adaptor

I was not getting close to the full 20Mb via wireless (was via wired), so thought I'd change the adaptor to a wireless-N model too to see if there was any improvements.

New setup:
    NTL Broadband 20Mb
    Netgear Rangemax WPN824 V2 router
    Netgear RangeMax Wireless-N WN111 (recommended for use with above router) USB adaptor

I installed the drivers as recommended, I can see my network (WPA-PSK) and enter my passphrase, however the adaptor keeps scanning and won't connect. After 30 mins or so of rebooting computer, modem, router, I decided to reset router.

I logged in via the Linksys adaptor to 192.168.1.1 and changed all the settings on the router to default (I had locked router to specific IP addresses only - 360, laptop, phone, etc) but still no joy when I went back to the new adaptor.

From all the scanning the adaptor was beginning to get quite warm (slightly worrying!), but still no connection. The oddest thing is that I can connect to a neighbour's unsecured wireless network but not to my own?! I can't try it out on my laptop as it's a work laptop and I can't install any software on it, I've exhausted searches on google for similar problems and can't find any. I can't return adaptor until Monday as I bought it from an online store open Mon-Fri, however the fact I can connect to another network really has me confused!

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dark_prince

Update:
    After 90 mins on calls to Netgear support, they've confirmed a hardware issue with the adapter, new one to be sent out to me. Problem solved, back to using my Linksys adapter!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

So why did you buy a new one when the old one was working perfectly?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Achilles wrote: »
    So why did you buy a new one when the old one was working perfectly?

I was not getting close to the full 20Mb via wireless (was via wired), so thought I'd change the adaptor to a wireless-N model too to see if there was any improvements.

The neverending quest for speed!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dark_prince

That... and the never-ending blue screens after a sustained period of high speed downloads with Vista which I understood from various people I spoke to and from other forums was due to how vista manages the wireless network.

I couldn't find the original cd-rom for the linksys which had the wireless management program on it, couldn't get it for download on the linksys site either, however Vista would continually crash after sustained downloads for a few minutes at a time. My router is a wireless-n, so to optimise my transfer-rate, a wireless-n adapter works better. Due to the way in which wireless-n operates, while in theory not extending the maximum actual speed far beyond that which g can operate at, is far superior in managing speeds through areas where there can be radio interference and obstacles due to the multiple layers of broadcast from the multiple aerials in mimo.

Linksys and router were free, so technically was only paying circa €50 for the wireless-n adapter

Advertisement