Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought Horse with Sweet Itch any comeback

Options
  • 19-07-2008 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I bought a horse at a sale in feb, he now has sweet itch, just wondering if i would have any come back with owner, he was sold with a vet cert which didn't mention sweet itch. A friend has told me to try and go back to owner but I feel since I have the horse since feb there is not much point. Any suggestions:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭AngelicRaindrop

eh sweet itch is currently classed as a vice just like crib biting and wind sucking. so maybe if you went back you might get somewhere.. what age is the horse, if its over 5yrs then its more than likely the old owner knew about it, if its younger it may not have developed it till now.

I have a pony here with sweet itch, we bred her ourselves and she didnt actually show any signs until she was close to 4yrs, i found this year she has little or no wounds which is great, sweet itch isnt a huge deal if you start trying to get it under control before it starts. we start in march with prevention, there is a really great rug you can get, it cost us €120 for the pony one but it is worth every penny

if it was at a sales ring, go back to the auctioneer and report it to him but get your vet to give you a report stating it is indeed sweet itch and see where you get, really you should have reported it to them once your horse started showing signs in the beginning of the summer not now close to the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 mike99

thanks for that, the horse is only 4 so maybe its only developing it now it so long ago I don't think there is much point going back, I was told you can also get an injection to help prevent it, I am currently using the horseware sweet itch rug which is fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭AngelicRaindrop

from what i know, sweet itch is caused by an over active immune system, the reaction to the saliva causes soreness and itchiness, the problem with injections is that most are immunosupressants (sp?) which in my opinion cant be that good for a horse, and cause more problems than solve, but then thats just my opinion. it isnt a cure and some horses dont even react to the injections, there is a trial for a tablet that is going on in england but the same thing, they have sucesses but there are alot that are showing little or no improvment, your best bet is keeping the horse in a field that is a little windy with not too wet a ground, keep it in during peak times if you can put a fly net over the stable door and keep that rug on. my pony is now 11yrs, so we've been dealing with this for 7 yrs with her and 3 years with a different horse before her. i have to say i moved her up to a hill this summer and am convinced it is too windy for the migets that attack her to fly, because this pony is riddled with sores normally and this year she hasnt even lost any of her mane!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 alfie tb

I am looking for some information regarding a horse purchase I made 7 weeks ago and I was just wondering
    if you might be able to advise me please?

I purchased a cob horse through done deal when I went to view the horse from the buyer
    all went well and I rode the horse and was happy.

I agreed a price with the seller of €800.00 for horse rug and tack and paid a deposit of a €100 and agreed to
    collect the horse the following week.

I collected the horse and the agreed items included in the sale the following week.

It is now 7 weeks on and I noticed the horse has bald patches and is itching and scratching constantly against anything and everything
    I called the vet and she diagnosed him with having "Sweet Itch" which is manageable bust costly. The vet informed me that the
    seller would have almost surly have known that the horse had this condition prior to sale and that I should of been made aware
    of it at the time of sale.

I am trying to find out if there is any such obligation or law that exists that would enforce the seller to inform me of the horse’s condition
    before buying?

Or do I have a leg to stand on if I contact the seller and ask for a refund?

We did not sign any contract nor did I ask if the horse had any existing conditions as i trusted the seller.

Would really appreciate any assistance you could offer me.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I would think 7 weeks is too long. If it was within a week you would have some chance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement