Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

harmonica

• 19-07-2008 6:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭

Hi, im just wondering would the harmonica be a tough instrument to take up. if one was willing to put in an hour practise a day for example. is there much to it? any advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

As with any instrument, if you enjoy playing it on a daily basis, you shouldn't find it too difficult to pick it up. It'll take the same level of patience as most instruments I'd imagine, and while you can sound 'good' on it after getting to grips with the basics, being a brilliant harmonica player is obviously a longer term thing. But it'll all be worth it some night when you get up on stage in JJ's for a jam :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

lol! ya maybe someday. its an instument id love to be able to play well.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Well you're first harmonica certainly wouldn't break the bank, so go for it. If you enjoy the instrument and are willing to play it, then why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Climber

I took professional lessons for over a year and I just couldn't put in the effort needed to become good. I can play a few tunes but nothing I'd get up on stage for!

The difficult part of playing the Harmonica is that in order to get hose "bluesy" notes you need to "bend" the reeds. Bending (that is, lowering a note by changing the shape of your mouth and tongue) is both the hardest and the most important harmonica technique.

I really recommend "Bending the blues" by David Harp
    bend%20bk.jpg

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 willdufauve

You might want to listen to some Little Walter, Big Walter Horton, Carey Bell, Sam Meyers, Snooky Prior, etc. and see if you like their sounds.

"Best of Little Walter" (or any Muddy Waters band album of the LW era), any Muddy Waters album of the Big Walter era, "Comin from the Old School" by Sam Myers, "Bocce Boogie" w/ Big Walter, the duet album by Big Walter and Carey Bell, The Johnny Shines/Big Walter duet album, "Hoodoo Man Blues" by Junior Wells...a few good places to start by hearing great blues harp by thhe greatest players.

• Advertisement
Advertisement