Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lower Fat Potato Dauphinoise

• 19-07-2008 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

Tonight I made my favourite thing for dinner, potato dauphinoise. I make mine with cream and gruyere cheese and lots of it.

However, my OH has quite high cholesterol and he's not supposed to be eating cheese or cream at all. I only made it tonight because we had spare cream a friend brought over and he begged me!

I do like to make it for him for a treat but I was wondering does anyone know a lower fat version I could make, or variations that would reduce the badness a little bit? I still won't make it super often but I would prefer to make a lower fat version if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I make it with full fat milk (no cream) in a pan on the hob. Once the milk has reduced and the potato is soft, grate cheese over the top and grill until the cheese is golden.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I'm not too sure what you can get hold of in Ireland but is it possible to make it with the same ingredients though with low/no-fat options?

You'll have to use low fat cream & skimmed milk but don't know if you get get low fat cheese?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Ponster wrote: »
    I'm not too sure what you can get hold of in Ireland but is it possible to make it with the same ingredients though with low/no-fat options?

You'll have to use low fat cream & skimmed milk but don't know if you get get low fat cheese?

I is in New Zealand so the options are even fewer.

I'll try look out for lower fat options. I was hoping to hear people had made it with creme fraiche or something. I'm not how that would work out. I may have to experiment!

Sorry to ask but what else would you use but creme fraiche?

It's how we make it in France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭SnowMonkey

Ponster wrote: »
    Sorry to ask but what else would you use but creme fraiche?

It's how we make it in France.

yup its true.....

wwant tartet flet now :mad:, oh how i miss a big helping of that ,mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Advertisement

Then it's decided. Potato Dauphinoise and filet steak for dinner !

Advertisement