Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dive gear

• 19-07-2008 9:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭

OK Im new to diving, am want to get my hands on some gear, i know its not cheap here is what ive put together as a list

mask
    fins
    snorkle

BCD -
    REG and 1st stage
    tank
    weights

wetsuit 7mm? for irish watrer
    booties
    knife

what else would i need :)

ta

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

Gloves
    12 or 15 L Tank
    Dive computer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭tech

roughly how much am I looking at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Have a look on divegear.ie theres a bit of stuff there bcds regs and suits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ronanm98

If you are interested in buying dive computer, reply to my private messaging service, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 colinmcbride

Hi,
    Come down to Arklow or check out www.first4scuba.com we have a huge sale on at the moment and we can kit you out for the best prices around.

A full set of gear will set you back as follows (lowest prices):
    mask - Oceanic Shadow - €30
    fins - Lots of Choice - €45
    snorkle - Lots of choice - €10

BCD - Oceanic Probe or Wolf €365 - Aqualung Pro QD - €380
    REG and 1st stage - Oceanic Alpha 8 - €140
    tank - 12L - €250
    weights - Depends on type of belt and weight - €50-€80

wetsuit 7mm? for irish watrer - Aqualung 7mm Semi Dry - €265
    booties - €40
    knife - €35
    computer - €180

Cheers
    Colin
    www.first4scuba.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Ratsathome

I've been talking to differend divers about equipment.Some told me never to buy 2nd hand equipment some say do.Any ideas would help.:o

LOL, I own a shop so Im supposed to tell you to buy new stuff only. To be honest though Scuba Equipment is expensive to buy new all in one go so it depends on how much you have to spent on your kit. If you are buying second hand gear there are things to look out for. If it has been used a lot then I wouldn't bother with it because its probably worn out. But if you can get some gear second hand that is next to new then its probably worth it. If you are buying cylinders then make sure they look like they are in good condition and make sure they are in test (check the date stamps on the neck). If you are buying regulators then again ask how old they are and how often they have been serviced etc - ask for the documentation. Personally I wouldn't buy a second hand reg over a year old. The suit is up to yourself - things happen in suits in cold water that I wouldn't like to buy from someone else - dry suits are different but check for leaks and dodgy valves. Computers check the battery and if it can be replaced manually or has to be sent away (costing quite a bit to replece). I suppose the best thing is to use your common sense and ask your diver friends to give their opinion on any second hand gear you are thinking of buying.

Regards
    Colin McBride
    www.first4scuba.com

Hi,I've been told that the standerd bladder in the bc are to small for me.I need a bigger one,are there a formula that you can use or is it trail and error.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

To be honest as long as it fits you then and theres enough lift (and youd want to be wearing a lot of lead for it not to be able to lift you)
    You should be fine
    How much lead are you wearing as a matter of interest?

About 14Kg:(.....my instructor told me to get a bigger bladder(65lbs)

• Advertisement

Ratsathome wrote: »
    About 14Kg:(.....my instructor told me to get a bigger bladder(65lbs)

Hi,
    You should be able to look up the specs for the BCD and see what lift it gives for which sizes of the BCD. To be honest 14KG is not too bad and most BCD's should be able to handle that. If you are wearing that much weight I would assume that you are a size large in the BCD?

You can buy BCD's that have larger bladders - the Seaquest (Aqualung) range have XLT versions of their BCD's (Xtra Lift). But it would be expensive to have to go out and buy another BCD. The better you get at it and the better your breathing and comfort becomes the less weight you will need anyway.

Best Regards
    Colin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

I have a large Mares BCD for sale... ;)

Hi,I'm looking for a little bit of info regarding cylinders.
    Steel or Alu.
    I want to buy cylinders but getting a lot of mix reviews on them.
    Any info would be gr8.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭donny

If you're wearing it on your back, steel. If you're looking to sidemount it as a stage then ali
    Steel or Alu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭sdep

As Donny says, I'd go with steel for back tanks, aluminium for side-slung. Steel tanks are denser, so using steel back tanks means you need less weight on the belt and you have a better trim in the water.
    When adding side stages - typically for deeper, deco diving on wrecks - aluminium tanks require less or no change in weighting, and don't pull you down on one side.

For back tanks, most people go for lightweight steel - usually made by Faber. Check the numbers punched into the top of the tank to see the weight. A lightweight 10ltr 232 bar tank weighs around 11.2kg, and a lightweight 12ltr 232 bar tank around 13.4kg. Older specification tanks tend to be heavier. So too are are 300bar tanks, and not many places will fill to over 232 bar.

Remaining choice is over size & shape. If you're buying one tank, most people go for a 12ltr, though a few who are larger and breathe more air opt for a 15ltr. For 12s, some prefer the long ones, others the squat ones, though these are harder to twin up should you later want to.

I first bought two 10 ltrs, which I found convenient for using singly, or twinning up for going a bit deeper and longer. However, you've to be very vigilant over air swapping when using separate tanks (an isolation manifold is typically recommended), and you end up diving 2 tanks more often than if you had a handy 12ltr.

I should add, it's worth making sure you get good quality pillar valves too. MDE and Scubapro are (as far as I'm aware) reliable. 2 or 3 years ago, I remember a good number of cheaper valves failing their first inspection and having to be replaced.

Edit: try to get the most recent tank manufacture date too - it's stamped on the top of the bottle. After 2 years, tanks need inspecting and stickering, or dive centres won't fill them. I think that's me done now.

Thanks guys will check them out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

...and if you are going to manifold two tanks together, try to make sure their test dates are either the same or very close together, saves a lot of hassle!!

Quick question?
    Want to buy regs and octo.
    What make and model do you recomment.

Quick question?
    Want to buy regs and octo.
    What make and model do you recomment.

I've used mostly Scubapro, Apeks and Oceanic regs and haven't had problems with any of them. They'd probably be the three main makes used in my club too.

One thing to look for is the type of first stage. They come in piston or diaphragm designs, and you'll find 'balanced' and 'unbalanced' piston regs. Unbalanced pistons are cheap, but harder to breathe at depth and as tank pressure drops.

The Scubapro MK2 is an unbalanced piston first stage - basic and cheap, but not recommended for deeper diving. The MK25 first stage (balanced piston) is fine, though more expensive. It often comes paired with the S600 second stage - has venturi free-flow control & cracking pressure adjuster for breathing ease.

I haven't bought an Apeks or Oceanic recently, so I don't know the current models.

Typical recommendation is to not to economise on the octo, and get something as good as the DV you're normally using.

One other consideration is servicing, assuming you're not doing your own. Great Outdoors deal in and service Scubapro regs, while Flagship do Apeks. Oceanic is currently a bit more awkward, and you might have to send the regs away.

• Advertisement

Quite a lot of Irish shops are selling Oceanic again so servicing of Oceanic regs is easy again. Also Oceanic offer free parts for servicing on every reg sold if you get it done once a year.

Quite a lot of Irish shops are selling Oceanic again so servicing of Oceanic regs is easy again. Also Oceanic offer free parts for servicing on every reg sold if you get it done once a year.

That's good - any in the Dublin area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I'm going to be doing a couple of dives and some snorkelling in the Caribbean in November. I was thinking of buying some diving boots not for warmth as it will still be reasonably warm over there at that time but more for protection of the feet when walking around (might be on rocks etc.). Does it sound like a good move or overkill?

I saw a pair for €25 online so they're not very pricey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭tech

Just after having my 1st dive on the Great barrier Reef, and to say it was was unreal is a under statement 30M VIS and loads of fishes!

I have now done 8 dives on the reef! :D

Class spot, might have to move out for the water !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

tech wrote: »
    Just after having my 1st dive on the Great barrier Reef, and to say it was was unreal is a under statement 30M VIS and loads of fishes!

I have now done 8 dives on the reef! :D

Class spot, might have to move out for the water !

Pfft. Cold water diving is where its at :)
    I've dived inDominican Republic, Thailand, Spain, Portugal, Bali and Ireland. The vis in warm water is great, I can't argue with that, but there's nothing quite like getting all kitted up for a nice weekly dive with a load of friends on a Sunday morning, before heading off to the Muglins :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 godley

hey, lookin to start snorkling aroud the west coast of cork and kerry,any advice on good equipmet,good brands,price ranges i'd be lookin at.
    also,which would be recommended as to semi dry and dry snorkles???
    sound for any replys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Have a look on divegear.ie theres a bit of stuff there bcds regs and suits

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Steel or Alu.

The norm for diving in Ireland is steel cylinders. Especially due to testing them. As far as I know, Aluminium cylinders need to be x-rayed when being tested, can add to the maintenance cost of em...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nicfoxe

ENTIRE WOMANS/UNISEX DIVE KIT FOR SALE!!!! EXCELLENT CONDITION!!! BARELY USED!!!! :)

Selling due to change of circumstances. Can be sold as a kit or individually – all reasonable offers considered. Pictures available.

Nova Scotia 6.5mm Semi Dry Suit. Size S Brand New. Bought March this year and used only for 2 snorkels. Complete with hood. Will throw in Waterproof booties size S and Tyhpoon 5mm neoprene gloves.

Euro 300

Aqua Lung Pearl BCD. Size S. With I3 technology and integrated weight system. Bought 4 years ago, used on about 10 dives. Serviced in March 2012.

Euro 200

Aqua lung Titan cold water regulators. 2 Sunnto gauges – depth gauge and air gauge. Bought 4 years ago, used on approximately 20 dives. Servied in March 2012.

E100

Typhoon Tri-laminate Dry suit. Complete with thermal undersuit. Size S/M, boot size UK 6. Fits me – I’m 5 foot 4. Bought 4 years ago, used approximately 20 times.

Euro 100

Oceanic Viper Fins, Size S. Yellow and black, Bought 4 years ago, used approximately 20 times.

Euro 20 or Free to a good home if you buy something else

All reasonable offers considered.

Thanks for looking!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Aqua lung Titan cold water regulators. 2 Sunnto gauges – depth gauge and air gauge. Bought 4 years ago, used on approximately 20 dives. Servied in March 2012.

E100

Am interested in the above. How do I pay you the cash, where do you live etc?

PM me if you prefer

Seadeuce

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nicfoxe

seadeuce wrote: »
    E100

Am interested in the above. How do I pay you the cash, where do you live etc?

PM me if you prefer

Seadeuce

Hi Seadeuce

Sorry theyre gone. Thanks for the interest.

Advertisement