Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing ADSL modem admin behind router

Options
  • 19-07-2008 10:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm trying to access my modem's admin page at http://192.168.1.1/. When I restart the modem, I can bring it up, but a day later it just doesn't reply to my browser. This might be after my router has been unplugged and restarted the next morning.

Setup:
    • Aolynk DR814 ADSL modem.
      • This is the DHCP server.
    • Linksys WRT54G
      • 192.168.1.254 (static IP)
      • Not giving out IPs. Operating mode "Router", not "Gateway".
      • Connected to the modem.
    • Desktop
      • Connected to the router.
      • 192.168.1.100 (static IP)
    So, when i turn the modem on and off, I can access its admin page. But I think the next time the router turns on and off, I can't access the admin page. Everything else works perfectly.

I can always access the router's admin page, as I'm connected directly to it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Simon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

simon333 wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm trying to access my modem's admin page at http://192.168.1.1/. When I restart the modem, I can bring it up, but a day later it just doesn't reply to my browser. This might be after my router has been unplugged and restarted the next morning.

Setup:
    • Aolynk DR814 ADSL modem.
      • This is the DHCP server.
    • Linksys WRT54G
      • 192.168.1.254 (static IP)
      • Not giving out IPs. Operating mode "Router", not "Gateway".
      • Connected to the modem.
    • Desktop
      • Connected to the router.
      • 192.168.1.100 (static IP)
    So, when i turn the modem on and off, I can access its admin page. But I think the next time the router turns on and off, I can't access the admin page. Everything else works perfectly.

I can always access the router's admin page, as I'm connected directly to it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Simon

those routers with a wan port are finicky, try connecting the modem to one of the 4 lan ports.

Linksys%20WRT54G%20back.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭simon333

Ya, in fact the modem is already plugged into one of the four standard ports at the back of the router. There is the WAN port or whatever, that's not being used.

Thanks for including the picture by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

If you leave out the WRT54G can you always access the Aolynk router?
    Are you just using the WRT54G for wireless and as a switch?
    When you cannot access the admin page have you tried pinging the Aolynk router from your pc and from the linksys router?

If I were you I would turn the Aolynk router into dummy mode, hook it up to the wan port of the linksys wrt54g, slap on the DD-WRT firmware and control everything from the linksys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭simon333

Thanks axer. What you're saying makes sense.

The only thing against it is that I don't want the wireless network to be always on, I just want it on when I'm using it, personal preference. And I couldn't switch it off if it was acting as the router, as I don't know when my house mates want to use the internet.
    If you leave out the WRT54G can you always access the Aolynk router?
    Yes.
    Are you just using the WRT54G for wireless and as a switch?
    Exactly. The WRT54G is in my bedroom at my desktop and Xbox. The Aolynk is downstairs. I have a 30m cable connecting them.
    When you cannot access the admin page have you tried pinging the Aolynk router from your pc and from the linksys router?
    Yes, it always replies, even if I'm behind the router.

Advertisement