Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So where is the Irish Overclocking Team?

• 19-07-2008 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭

Am i alone?

I started the preparation for hitting top spots. I am out of oc scene for ~6 months but i hope i will be back soon.For cooling i have cascade, solid cpu pot, chipset pot and i found from where to buy dry ice but i need help for LN2. Any ideas? Can i rent dewar from somewhere?

Who will join?
    dc080716005ase7.jpg
    dc080716005ase7.1d3f890b40.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm willing to help, would love to see an Irish OC Team. Count me in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Sure why not. I have a few cpu's here i dont mind destroying. Also i have contacts for dice and ln2. Ln2 can be bought by the bag, but ln2 has to be bought in no less then 2L quantaties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

I was involved in the early makinging of a Team Ireland back in the Prescott/A64 days, nothing ever really came of it tho. We had one WR for a while tho on a Semperon 3100 /flex =)
    Good luck with it tho. If your ever doing anything near Galway shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭unseen

Does anybody have contacts in pc magazines, IT companies, hardware suppliers etc? We will need them.

A friend just told me that he will send me tommorow a biostar p45 and e8600!!
    So where i buy/rent a LN2 dewar? Around 15lt is ok.

Anti, are you based in the west? If so do you have a DryIce supplier around Galway by any chance? Feel free to PM if ya want.

• Advertisement

Nah both my dice and ln2 suplier is in dublin :(

Anti can you give them a call about renting a deware??

A deware ? Do you mean canister? If so they dont do that. We have to have our own. And i cant find anything suitible anywhere :/

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I'm interested but I'm a poor student so all I can contribute is time and enthusiasm :P I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron / workshop so I can help out in that regard if anything needs making...

Me and Papu were going to combine our best PC components for some benching when hes back from Holidays, We wont break any records but should be fun, Q6600 and 2 4870s should see us over the 20k mark in 06 easliy

Wouldn't mind trying some dry ice ocing, Seems a lot safer than LN2 anyway :P

What about standard ice and some sort of anti-freeze solution in a pot? Any good for a short run?

doubt the temp would be lowered enough to go much further then normal watercooling.

• Advertisement

The only site i found so far with dewars is this one http://www.promed.ie/b1webtools/catalog/products.aspx?CategoryID=2620

i will give them a call to see if they are renting...

I'd hope they rent as thats some crazy prices :o

For a Dewar, find a mate who is Chemistry or Biology in Uni and ask them to chat to whoevers in charge of their ln2 gear. MOst will have a dewar that can be borrowed at weekends.
    And those prices are pretty spot on for new ln2 dewars. =)

As for saftey, DI is easy as pie keep it in a paper bag and use a gardening glove =)
    Ln2 is pretty safe as long as you have a safe dewar and a decent sized thermos =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I love the cock <3

I dont know about you guys but I started playing with my new toys...

E8600 Q820A599
    Aircooling
    Vcore 1,49
    Motherboard Biostar I45.

Sorry for the bad quality pics.
    dc080806001bo9.jpg
    dc080806004jl8.jpg

Hopefully on Tuesday i will have dry ice and my new memories.
    Stay tunned :D

Suicides Im guessing?
    5.1 Is very nice even for that chip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Were did you get your hands on that chip ?

And what cooling you using to get 5.1ghz ?

@masteroftherealm yes suicide shot. @5050 can do spi1m.

@BadCharlie As i said above i used aircooling. An old typhoon. +30 idle, +47 during windows load. A friend from Malaysia send it to me, but in a few days you can find it at stores i think.

What kinda 1m scores you getting at 5050?

500mhz fsb. Thats impressive. Who cares about the chip, it seems the board is the winning part !

• Advertisement

Yeah, Biostar ìs very nice board. Solid and with plenty of options.
    Also it is not very expensive :)
    MB-TP-I45.GIF
    Ebay

They almost look like dfi boards too !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

ya biostar seem like the new up and coming mobo maker - they also made a lovly am2 board.

nice scores m8 , ln2 ?

No LN2 :(

Please help! I cant find anything... Just lost one dewar in ebay.
    I cant afford a brand new. Come on guys! Any good contacts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Conar

I know someone that works in BOC in the sales side of things.
    I'll ask them for you.
    Tell me exactly what you need and I'll find out if they'll deal with 1 off customers.

http://www.boc-gases.com/products_and_services/by_product/nitrogen/index.asp

Great!

Can you ask him please if they are renting LN2 Dewars (15lt-25lt), if they have second hand dewars (over 10lt) for sale and what is the price ln2/ltr delivered.

Thanks a mil Conar!
    oct9YouRock3.gif

K, good news.

He says that they will sell to small users no worries.
    They actually just bought over a small company that deals with small users so its part of their business now.

He wasn't too sure on the prices as he's used to selling to large users for about €2 per litre but he reckons it shouldn't cost more than €5 per litre.
    He also confirmed that they sell or rent the dewers but wouldn't know a price off hand.
    He's going to get me the prices on Monday and I'll get back to you with a number for who you can call to arrange it.
    If you have any problems he's actually quite high up in the chain so I might be able to help there, but this is all in return for an honourary membership in the Irish OC Team :P

Conar wrote: »
    K, good news.

He says that they will sell to small users no worries.
    They actually just bought over a small company that deals with small users so its part of their business now.

He wasn't too sure on the prices as he's used to selling to large users for about €2 per litre but he reckons it shouldn't cost more than €5 per litre.
    He also confirmed that they sell or rent the dewers but wouldn't know a price off hand.
    He's going to get me the prices on Monday and I'll get back to you with a number for who you can call to arrange it.
    If you have any problems he's actually quite high up in the chain so I might be able to help there, but this is all in return for an honourary membership in the Irish OC Team :P

Strange, when i rang them they said they dont rent dewars of that size. only 50l+. But they did put me in contact with one of the guys that delivers the stuff. Have since lost the number.

I am going to cry! After so many months i will play with ln2 again!

Thanks , thanks , thanks a lot!!

Ps. Teaser: At 5ghz can run 3dmark01 aircooled @1,55 :D

• Advertisement

Anti wrote: »
    Strange, when i rang them they said they dont rent dewars of that size. only 50l+. But they did put me in contact with one of the guys that delivers the stuff. Have since lost the number.

Hmm, that might be a problem.
    I'm not sure if I definitly said 15/25l.
    I'm drunk at the mo so I either can't remember saying it, or I didn't and can't remember not saying it :P

I'll check with him over the weekend.
    Surely you could just throw it in a big refuse sack anyway, no?

Advertisement