Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat cries in the night

Options
  • 19-07-2008 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Would really appreciate any advice from all you cat lovers. I adopted a cat from the DSPCA last week who is so beautiful, but he cries at regular intervals throughout the night. I know it's early days and he has to get used to his new home, but he is very clingy, getting jealous of the other cat we adopted at the same time. I've had many cats over the years but have never known one not to independent. Any ideas about the nighttime chorus would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mand123

Perhaps a radio put on in the room they sleep. Obviously the volume would have to be low but it might help.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

How old are they male or female?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

Do you get up to him when he cries? If so, then you should stop as it's teaching him it's worth his while to cry! Otherwise, I think the only thing is to wait it out. I'm sure after another week he should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Can you not let him out at night time? We've always let our cats out at night time and have never had a problem with them running away or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

You must be joking Weidii, this is a kitten we're talking about - and one that's only just been introduced to the household. No kitten should be outdoors without supervision until it's at least six months old, and even at that, there are huge risks in letting a young, unexperienced cat out on its own.

An adult recently introduced to the household - not to mind a kitten - should be kept indoors for at least several weeks, so that it learns to accept the home as its new territory and should therefore return if left out subsequently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Robot1

Thank u all for the replies. He is a 2 - 3 year old neutered male. Its a bit early to let him out just yet, but I find it very refreshing the Weidii puts her cats out at night. In this age the 'indoor only' cat it's nice to see the survival of the tradition of 'putting the cat out'.

SMK, we do ignore him and I really appreciate the reassurance that things will settle down. This is what my partner keeps saying, but its difficult to absorb after your third night of broken sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

It takes 6 weeks for a cat to completely change it's routine. I do not find it refreshing to hear "put the cat out at night". In an age when 1 in 4 cats that are allowed to roam free - especially at night - do not come home again at some point, I do not understand why it is refreshing.

Maybe if you live in the absolute middle of nowhere there are not too many dangers for a cat to contend with. I don't know where you live, but if it is anywhere at all urban you should really consider the level of danger that a cat can face, particularly at night.

Only yesterday somebody on another sight found herself sharing the horrific experience of discovering a cat being torn to shreds by 3 dogs at 4am. She was unable to intervene in time and all she could do was watch the cat breath it's last, the whole experience was worsened by the realisation that the cat was a nursing mom.

If you must let the cat out during the day, but why "put it out at night"? Once the cat gets used to it's new environment you should find that you will have peaceful nights again. If you start letting them out at night you may find your peaceful nights disturbed once again with the sound of the cat defending it's territory - which could, by the way, expose it to being bitten by an FIV or FeLV infected cat and therefore becoming infected themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

See a post on PI where a cat allowed outside at night was attacked by 3 dogs who were also allowed to roam at night the cat died. That is just one of the horrific things that can happen to any cat of any age allowed out during the day but esp. at night when car drivers can't see so well.

Back to OP post not all cats are independant in fact most of them love human company. Give it a week or two more ensuring that the cat has food, water and there's nothing causing the cat discomfort that might be making him cry. Then I'm afraid it's either let him snuggle up with you or hope that he will settle in. I've heard posative things about the DAP diffuser thingymabob that you can get in the vets you plug it in to whereever the cat spends the most time it helps to calm them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Maybe let him out during the day while you can keep an eye on him but not at night, everyone that I know that has cats has lost at least one to the road! most of them have lost a few cats. only today I passed a lovely ginger cat when I was walking the dogs that had been run over, he was obviously well looked after so some body's pet. and of course there are loose dogs to worry about as the person on PI sadly found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Apologies to Weidii, as I had assumed OP had adopted a kitten, not an adult cat.

But as the OP is of the opinion that to hear that someone puts their cat out at night is "refreshing" - this is where I leave the discussion.

That attitude stinks, IMO.

• Advertisement

I do live in quite an isolated area, but would still never let my cats out at night.

If the crying persisted what would people think of confining the cat in the garage during the night? It is damp proof and insulated, but I would have to work out some heating method.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I'm glad to hear you wouldn't let your cats out at night :)

I wouldn't see a particular problem with the garage at night. But, whatever you do give the cat the 6 weeks to adjust. You could possibly just get some ear plugs for the few weeks so you don't have to remember to confine the cat to the garage each night.

Thanks Carwash, the earplugs are in. In fact, so is the pheramone defuser. It's 0020 and not a peek so far. Heres hoping.

The things we do for love!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

I don't think there is any need yet to start looking for alternatives like the garage. Stick with it! I've only ever adopted adult cats and night time was always the time they were most unsettled initially. I adopted a two year old in April and although she was nervous at first, my problem with her wasn't crying but her attempts to break the land speed record at 3am and also the "how high up the curtains can I climb" record at 4am!!! The resident cat who is 6 was initially horrified at his sleep being disturbed but felt it was his duty to supervise the 3am race!!! Thankfully he didn't try the curtain competition!! They've both settled down again now and both see the benefit of a full night's sleep - well, most nights anyway!!!

When he's settled down and is more calmer, then he might start bonding with your other new cat, who's probably just as nervous but not showing it as much.

Thanks SMK, great to hear the voice of experience. Time really is the key. However I did use the Feliway defuser last night and the spray on their bedding and there wasn't a peep. Well none that I heard anyway through my 35 decibel earplugs. First full nights sleep in four days...Great. If it is the Feliway working then that stuff is a miracle.

I'll stick with the program of establishing routine, ignoring cries and just being patient. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I rescue a lot of cats and in my experience a cat that has been loved once and then treated badly usually tent to be more clingy than the rest as I know the SPCA are never sure what happens to them or if they do they won't tell you in case they put you of adopting them.

The cats probably recognized that it has a good home and is staying close to make sure it doesn't disappear again it will take some time for him to realize you are going no were neither is his food or warm bed. Then he'll give you some space, I find bracing it and reassuring them every thing is OK works well I will even carry them around every now and then to let them see what I'm doing so they know I'm not at anything that will hurt them and things like washing machines and fridges don't hurt me so they won't hurt him.

At night he is probably only calling out to see were you are and just needs to be reassured, like with dogs I find leaving the top I've worn that day at the bottom of the door makes them think I am some were close and seems to calm them.(but don't let them hear you leave) and if all else fails take him to bed with you I find most don't make a habit of it and when settled in find a place they like to sleep by them selfs

I agree with not letting him out for six weeks and only jurying the day best when he is used to your other cat as chances are he'll follow him around to learn his way.

Good luck.

Thanks Blackcat, all this advice is really great. I really like the tip about leaving your clothes with him, will give that a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Robot1 I have three cats here and one of the chaps (14) is VERY vocal at night and frankly would drive a person up the walls, if he stays out he meows to come in, if he's in he meows to go out and finally I got sick to the back teeth of getting up and down, not to mention I didn't want him out at night any way-too dangerous by far.
    So every night now I lock the three of them into the garage and it is blissful. I don't need to worry if any harm might come to them and they are quite happy to toddle in there under their own steam ( they are in and outdoor cats).
    They have their sheepskin beds, litter trays, water and I always feed them their wet food last thing at night. In fact at about 10:30 they begin to 'mill about' waiting to settle. By 11 pm they're usually going nuts waiting to be fed and charge out to the garage as I prepare their food.
    I open their door at 7am and always find them snoring in their respective beds. If it's raining the oldest one (17) might not even bother getting up for a few hours.
    It may not be for you, but as the owner of three I find it a very suitable solution all round. Cats are quick to associate actions with food, so if you make 'bed time' a pleasurable business everyone wins.
    Good luck!

Fatmammy, I'm hoping things will settle down, it's still early days. But I certainly would consider the move to the garage if there was no improvement. Thanks for your post, I'm glad the garage worked for you.

Advertisement