Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelworx Dolan Bikes

Options
  • 19-07-2008 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭

Anybody have one of these bikes?

Just want to know what people think of them. I'm thinking of getting a full carbon one for about 1300 - 1500.

Any info would be good thanks.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

are they Terry Dolans? Must be I presume, known for being a good frame builder in UK and popular track bikes in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Don't have one, but they do make good bikes -have cycled their track bikes and they're pretty good. I'd say go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Thanks - Anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭psycholist

id stay away from them ..
    wheelworx is a bit on the pricey side too...
    http://www.wheelworxbikes.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_17&products_id=1233&osCsid=ca0a6616080da7f5c3d173e506a77bcc
    friend of mine is looking to sell his for 1600 i think
    and another friend of mine is selling a kestral talon with carbon chorus and easton wheels for 1200.. .

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Well they priced this for me

Full carbon bikes from 1200 euro or full custom full Carbon Dolans with 105 groupset from 1469 or Ultegra mix at 1559

What about the bikes themselves thou?
    Why is your mate selling it?

• Advertisement

http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?PageNbr=1&MemberId=541527531&PhotoAlbumId=630822299&PhotoId=8311517955 ... enough said (well they arent terrible)
    and thyre not very well priced{wheelworxx bikes in genral}
    my mate with the kestral had a baby
    and the lad with the bh got a newer shineyer one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

keith123 wrote: »
    Anybody have one of these bikes?

Just want to know what people think of them. I'm thinking of getting a full carbon one for about 1300 - 1500.

Any info would be good thanks.

Check out www.worldwidecycles.com, they have some excellent prices on Doaln frames and I'm sure they could custom build one for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

psycholist wrote: »
    http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?PageNbr=1&MemberId=541527531&PhotoAlbumId=630822299&PhotoId=8311517955 ... enough said (well they arent terrible)
    and thyre not very well priced{wheelworxx bikes in genral}
    my mate with the kestral had a baby
    and the lad with the bh got a newer shineyer one!
    Psycholist, that bike was crashed (read the comments.) It's no indictment of Dolan. Personally though, I'd never buy a Trek- look what happens when a squirrel jumps through the spokes :D

76039319_f5e81e4f93.jpg?v=0

OP- I have read before that Dolan carbon frames are a generic Taiwan carbon frame, similar to those coming from Planet X, Ribble and many others, there is nothing wrong with them at all.

blorg wrote: »
    Psycholist, that bike was crashed (read the comments.) It's no indictment of Dolan. Personally though, I'd never buy a Trek- look what happens when a squirrel jumps through the spokes :D

76039319_f5e81e4f93.jpg?v=0

OP- I have read before that Dolan carbon frames are a generic Taiwan carbon frame, similar to those coming from Planet X, Ribble and many others, there is nothing wrong with them at all.

that shouldnt happen when you crash though!just using it to make a point... im not too mad about those made in taiwan frames .theyre mostly of inferior quality unless made by one of the bigger companies e.g. giant

they tend to be heavy carbon frames or reasonable light and Very flexy around the bb
    ist not the only dolan ive seen breaking like that
    their alu stuff is top notch tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Give me ANY frame you want and I will break it.

Seriously, if you run into something hard enough, you will have breakage around the head tube. That's just the way it works. It's actually a common occurrence where I am (crit racing). The last couple I saw break this way were a Litespeed that hit the curb after sliding along the ground (with rider attached) and a nice Cervelo that met a lamppost.

• Advertisement

psycholist wrote: »
    theyre mostly of inferior quality unless made by one of the bigger companies e.g. giant

they tend to be heavy carbon frames or reasonable light and Very flexy around the bb

So tell me of a carbon frame NOT made in Taiwan. There are a few out there. Give it a try, how many can you name?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭jefferson73

dave2pvd wrote: »
    So tell me of a carbon frame NOT made in Taiwan. There are a few out there. Give it a try, how many can you name?

Not definitive::)

Cervelo's are made in China (PMC).
    Time-France
    Look-france and Taiwan (They have a facility in tunisia that produces many of their frames)
    Colnago-Italy and Taiwan
    Giant-Taiwan and china
    IF-USA(they use reynolds carbon)(Actually....They use tubing from ICE now, Reynold's is now China (though still owned by Maclean))
    Seven-USA
    Trek-USA-but the tubing is made in Utah by Maclean(reynolds)(Trek no longer uses Maclean for tubing, some made in house, some from china)
    BMC-Swiss (Made in China, except for TT01 custom)
    Kestrel(now Fuji)-Taiwan (and China)
    Aegis-USA
    Corima-France
    Lotus Sport-South Africa
    Guru-Canada and Taiwan (Custom lugs/tubes sourced from USA)
    Scott-Taiwan (China)
    Agron 18-Taiwan (China)
    Calfee-USA
    Parlee-USA-they use reynolds carbon tubing (Parlee uses Edge, and ICE tubing)
    Cannondale- System Six, 613, Super Six, Scalpel: USA, Taiwan(not the us)(Actually made in China)
    Specialized-Made by Giant in China (Made in China, but not by Giant)
    Gary Fisher-Trek and some in China by Giant
    LeMond-Trek (China not USA)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Oh I wouldn't go near those cheap taiwan frames from Dolan. They may be alright for that bunch of freds in the Pezula team in the Tour of Ireland next month, and indeed under O'Loughlin in the Olympics next month. Heck they might even be ok for several track world champions.

But they are not good enough for a bunch of hairy legged leisure riders and S3 racers like us ! Get over yourselves lads !! Keith123, the Dolans are good value for money and a good bike, I had to watch Ciaran Powers one vanish in the distance every bleeding weekend during the winter, so I have first hand experience ! I ride a carbon trek 5500 and a Cervelo R3SL. Both bikes with pedigree I grant you, however I would be equally happy to ride a taiwan made Dolan, planet X, Pedalforce, Focus <insert your own less fashionable brand here) especially if budget was a concern.

Dammit, I should have included China. Meant to. Forgot.

Time and Look carbon frames are made in Nth Africa. Algeria or Tunisia?
    Forget about Italian Pinarello, Colnago, De Rosa, Kuota and especially Bianchi - no more. I have a Bianchi T-Cube. It says 'Made in Italy', which means painted in Italy.
    Rumor has it that Cannondale is about to start sub-contracting ALL (instead of most) carbon frames to Taiwan or China.
    Seven, Aegis, Calfee and Parlee are TINY indy shops that make (small numbers of) beautiful bikes. In the US. Mostly with carbon tubing sourced in....guess where?

I think its fair to say that almost ALL CF frames are made in Taiwan or China now, with the majority being contracted to Giant. This is NOT a bad thing. I would put Taiwanese manufacturing above Italian for most things.

Here's a good article: http://allanti.com/page.cfm?PageID=328 The info on some of the European (esp Italian) manufacturers is not quite up to date though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I think only the higher end treks are made in the USA, the rest are made in Taiwan.

There's an interesting interview with the Surly product manager and he talks about the advantages of using Taiwanese manufacturers

http://cycloculture.blogspot.com/2008/04/civil-discourse-with-surlys-andy-corson.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement