Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question about the speed of Eircom's broadband.

Options
  • 19-07-2008 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭

The other night, I got a connection speed of 1.4 mb/sec (it's a 1mb line); then I rang up to ask them to upgrade us to the 2mb line. They said it'd take 24 hours.

Now, if I'm lucky, I seem to be getting the exact same, and the speed seems to average out about 0.5 mb/sec.

I realise I'm living in an apartment block where there might be pressure on the local exchange, but I've paid an extra tenner for the extra speed, but I'm just not getting it day or night.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

DadaKopf wrote: »
    The other night, I got a connection speed of 1.4 mb/sec (it's a 1mb line); then I rang up to ask them to upgrade us to the 2mb line. They said it'd take 24 hours.

Now, if I'm lucky, I seem to be getting the exact same, and the speed seems to average out about 0.5 mb/sec.

I realise I'm living in an apartment block where there might be pressure on the local exchange, but I've paid an extra tenner for the extra speed, but I'm just not getting it day or night.

Entirely possible since it's a contended service, but your line stats could also be limiting your sync rate. Check your modem and post the line stats here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

How do I do that? (Sorry, only vaguely net/comms compatible here.)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

How do I do that? (Sorry, only vaguely net/comms compatible here.)

The standard Eircom modems usually have an interface at 192.168.1.254.

Yeah, I'm already in there. How do I figure out whether to do any jiggery-pokery or what to do, I'm not paying for a services I'm not getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

What you are looking for is connected speed, line attenuation and sn margin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Yeah, I'm already in there. How do I figure out whether to do any jiggery-pokery or what to do, I'm not paying for a services I'm not getting.

You should see expert mode on your left and in there there under dsl you should get your line stats.

You are looking for attenuation and snr figures

dub45 wrote: »
    You should see expert mode on your left and in there there under dsl you should get your line stats.

You are looking for attenuation and snr figures

SN Margin (dB) 19.50 18.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 16.00 11.00

SN Margin (dB) 19.50 18.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 16.00 11.00

On ADSL2+ that gets you 20 megs.

Someone break this down for me. I still can't understand why I was getting 300-500k since the upgrade. Today, I'm getting 2mb max. I assume Eircom will be upgrading to 3mb soon?

Advertisement