Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Dun Laoghaire fish pier fish so expensive?

Options
  • 19-07-2008 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Two questions only.
    Anybody got any idea why it is so expensive to buy fish from the fish pier shop at Dun Laoghaire? It is direct from the boats without overheads so why do prawns cost 18 euro per pound when Superquinn sell them for 22 euro per Kilogram.
    Also is it required to display prices when selling food in a shop?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Because it's not direct from the boats in DL. It's bought either in Howth or from wholesalers in town. The south county Dublin population just like to think they are mixing with "real" folk...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Dyflin wrote: »
    Because it's not direct from the boats in DL. It's bought either in Howth or from wholesalers in town. The south county Dublin population just like to think they are mixing with "real" folk...:rolleyes:

Ah the old snide comment about the southside, how original.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

OK, you go and sit on the harbour wall on Traders Wharf and watch the cars pulling up and then go and talk with the fishermen. You can buy stuff from the fishermen, but it seems to be just a few canny locals and the mainly chinese who actually understand this...

I live and work in south county Dublin btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Chonky wrote: »

Yes, legal requirement. Tescos in Dundrum got fined this week for not doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Chonky

But even if all the fish does come from Howth or elsewhere, even Donegal that still dosent explain why the fish is twice the cost of that in Superquinn.

And the pier shop trades on the impression that some of the fish is fresh from the fishermen or why else would it be there? I am starting to think that it too is just another ripoff just like all the rest of the "farmers markets" - suck you in with the wholesome fresh food idea and then fleece you.

Still though, they are doing a reasonable trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Elsibel

But even if all the fish does come from Howth or elsewhere, even Donegal that still dosent explain why the fish is twice the cost of that in Superquinn.

And the pier shop trades on the impression that some of the fish is fresh from the fishermen or why else would it be there? I am starting to think that it too is just another ripoff just like all the rest of the "farmers markets" - suck you in with the wholesome fresh food idea and then fleece you.

They are also more expensive than Caviston's in Sandycove!!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Tabnabs wrote: »
    OK, you go and sit on the harbour wall on Traders Wharf and watch the cars pulling up and then go and talk with the fishermen. You can buy stuff from the fishermen, but it seems to be just a few canny locals and the mainly chinese who actually understand this...

I live and work in south county Dublin btw.

Where is traders wharf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Economies of scale(s), I'd imagine.

uberalles wrote: »
    Where is traders wharf

Traders Wharf is the quay that the fishing boats tie up to and where the fish shop is located.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Think that monstrosity that they sell from is a disgrace. The vendors could at least make some effort at camouflaging this eyesore.

How this was allowed to be constructed is beyond me. Couldn't they even plant a creeper or something to grow up the side of the concrete?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It's a functional ice box, you'll find them at all working harbours. Your comment is actually very funny. It's like giving out about cow sheds in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Smurf2000

I buy from the ice box around the once a week mark and have always found the price to be ok. Whenever they are out of something that I need for a recipe I'll go to cavistons but it's always wayyyyy more expensive. Just my experience.

ted1 wrote: »
    It's a functional ice box, you'll find them at all working harbours. Your comment is actually very funny. It's like giving out about cow sheds in the country.

The bloody thing is an eyesore. The vendors should be made either knock it down or camouflage it. No two ways about it. We have 'planning' laws, this one seems to be amiss which is very very 'fishy' to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Chinasea wrote: »
    The bloody thing is an eyesore. The vendors should be made either knock it down or camouflage it. No two ways about it. We have 'planning' laws, this one seems to be amiss which is very very 'fishy' to me.

Without meaning to sound smart, but how would you like the Ice Box to look? A few window boxes and pebel dashing?It's not there for aesthetics, it's plain and simple because it's all it needs to be. It serves a purpose, and serves it well. It's in a positon that it shouldn't really affect anybody anyway, it's far enough away from anything and everything.

And how long and much went into planning the Marina in Dun Laoghaire? There were multiple objections before it was given the go-ahead 10 years or so ago, many claiming that it would spoil the vista.

So I fail to see how the UGLIEST MONSTROSITY of a building in Dun Laoghaire was given the go ahead? Stinks of fishyness.................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

And how long and much went into planning the Marina in Dun Laoghaire? There were multiple objections before it was given the go-ahead 10 years or so ago, many claiming that it would spoil the vista.

So I fail to see how the UGLIEST MONSTROSITY of a building in Dun Laoghaire was given the go ahead? Stinks of fishyness.................

you only need planning permission for new developements.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Well, the ugliest apart from DL Shopping centre, the swimming baths.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Two questions only.
    Anybody got any idea why it is so expensive to buy fish from the fish pier shop at Dun Laoghaire? It is direct from the boats without overheads so why do prawns cost 18 euro per pound when Superquinn sell them for 22 euro per Kilogram.

THE RENT.

you only need planning permission for new developements.........

yea, it's not there since the big bang, it was new once.

I can't understand how the proprietors aren't ashamed of the building......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I see what you did there. Very clever. Yes, the ice house is indeed very fishy. Works on many levels. Quite the wordsmith.

Would you like the ugly functional granite piers to be knocked also ? Or maybe have some seaweed draped over them ? As others have said, this is quite a funny position to take - this is a functional building in a functional harbour area. It's not supposed to be pretty.

z

• Advertisement

zagmund wrote: »
    I see what you did there. Very clever. Yes, the ice house is indeed very fishy. Works on many levels. Quite the wordsmith.

Would you like the ugly functional granite piers to be knocked also ? Or maybe have some seaweed draped over them ? As others have said, this is quite a funny position to take - this is a functional building in a functional harbour area. It's not supposed to be pretty.

z

It's a bloody monstrosity. Nothing funny about it. How the heck was it allowed, no one seems to be able to answer that?

There were posters, campaigns, some very suspect and militant objectors when the Marina was being planned.

Fishy with a capital F.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

It's been there since 1972, so relation to the new marina is irrelevant.

The simple fact of the matter is that the proprietors have made absolutely no effort whatsoever to tone the bleak, austere, monstrosity of a thing down. It is a shame. They have had time to do so after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭PandaX9

China guy,
    Stop trying to be CO'C-K.. It's not funny and that's coming from someone with a great love for the books.

And I have to say their cod is divine. The vendors are also really nice for giving you gone off fish to give to the seals nearby, always great fun if you're with kids or are young at heart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

I concur. It's got to be one of the most out of place coastal buildings between Blackrock and Sandycove. The new library (under construction) will be a close second if the artists impression is anything to go by.

Unfortunately, the headquarters of the Irish Fisheries Board was built at a time when architectural aesthetics were non-existent and at an all time low. Some other horrendous buildings from that era include Tara Towers Hotel, UCD Water Tower, College House, Hawkins House and Phibsborough Centre. There are probably hundreds more.

Given that it has a rather flat facade, this should make it easy to give the building a face lift. A new shade of paint coupled with graceful exterior modifications (perhaps Roman Columns) could glorify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Given that it has a rather flat facade, this should make it easy to give the building a face lift. A new shade of paint coupled with graceful exterior modifications (perhaps Roman Columns) could glorify it.

What a brilliant idea. Perhaps a mural of fish-scales, seals and frolicking dolphins would be apt. They should really astro-turf the entire Coal Pier as well. It would look so much prettier.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Two questions only.

Are they really from the boat? Are superquinns, or are they from Vietnam?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

ted1 wrote: »
    Are they really from the boat? Are superquinns, or are they from Vietnam?

recently bought fish from Superquin and they werent that fresh.
    I suspect they were defrosted fish but I cant confirm that.

I dont care what the Dun Laoghaire cube looks like once the fish are fresh.

Advertisement