Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vodafone 3g question

Options
  • 19-07-2008 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,131 ✭✭✭✭

i live in an area that doesnt have broadband and i said id chance getting voda 3g modem

and i couldn't believe it i have a good speed

how do i check what speed i have

my other question is im getting HSDPA speed and some times 3G speed

is it worth keeping just for HSDPA speed alone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

i found my vodafone 3G experience excellent
    shame about the 5 gig cap

www.speedtest.net

Check your speed there and post your results.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,131 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

oh my i think this is bad

download= 459 kb/s

and upload 115 kb/s

just tried it again and now im getting download 856 kb/s

upload 116 kb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Bad in this case is a relative term, comparing that to Dsl its bad but comparing it to dialup its good, even at the lower speed you listed you're in and around 10 times faster than dialup. You could surf no problem and probably watch youtube vids with it ok and generally do the other things that people use broadband for (except gaming) though make sure you remember that cap is very small and if you go over the WILL charge you monster rates.

If its your only broadband option it you're kinda stuck with it whatever you think of it :p

Bad in this case is a relative term, comparing that to Dsl its bad but comparing it to dialup its good, even at the lower speed you listed you're in and around 10 times faster than dialup. You could surf no problem and probably watch youtube vids with it ok and generally do the other things that people use broadband for (except gaming) though make sure you remember that cap is very small and if you go over the WILL charge you monster rates.

If its your only broadband option it you're kinda stuck with it whatever you think of it :p

oh

for 30 euro after the 3 months is it worth it

im not sure??

would it be good for downloading torrents legal ones

i might try the o2 one too

lads is it possible to get a booster for the 3g modem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

booster for the 3g modem

Dont know about this, but where have you positioned the modem? What length of USB cable are you using? Put the modem as high as you can and/or near a window. You can buy a 3 metre or a 5 metre USB cable to help you in this regard. I did it with an O2 modem and performance improved a great deal afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

No you're not going to be able to download torretns with it, with a 5 gig cap really. You'll hit that cap in absolutely no time

iv decided to buy this http://www.poynting-europe.com/Commercial/products/ShortInfo/K-LPDA-21short.htm

but where can i get it in ireland

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

iv decided to buy this http://www.poynting-europe.com/Commercial/products/ShortInfo/K-LPDA-21short.htm

but where can i get it in ireland

Why not email them and ask them if they have an Irish distributor? Of if they have mail order outlets?

By the way vodafone is now totally uncompetitive with o2 who are offering monthly fees of €19.99 and 10 g download allowance.

Advertisement