Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very low water pressure in the Wood?

Options
  • 19-07-2008 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else experiencing extremely low water pressure in the first phase of the Wood?

Our water pressure has been pretty low for a while now, but this morning it took over a minute to get a litre of water into the kettle! In the same vein, the tank in the attic fills very slowly also.

Any thoughts as to the cause?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Hi Jemmy, I wanted to make sure it wasn't just me before doing anything!

Turns out it was just me...

Thanks anyway.

Thanks to Astrofluff, knower of all things household, for the over the phone tech support! The kettle now fills in milliseconds :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Absolutely no problem Mike....now that your water supply is under full mains pressure, to air on the side of caution, check all the fittings from the back of the sink in kitchen all the way to the water storage tank in the attic. There'll be a gate vale in the Hot Press too (1/2 inch pipe). I'd say everything is grand since day one but you never know....worst case scenario is that the mains pressure will bend the ball valve in the water storage tank and you'll get a trickle out the overflow onto the back roof. All in good moderation.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Cheers Astro. I had a poke around in the hot press anyway as some of the pipes were making a lot of noise (presumably from the increased pressure) and everything is operating normally now.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 joecreed

Astro, any chance of you posting that valuable info re: the pressure in the 'Wood? We recently moved in to one of the large townhouses & since I bled a couple of rads, the boiler pressure has dropped, the hot water doesn't heat (btw, the rads are hopping mad hot tho!!). The tap pressure is a load of sh1te though, in all the taps. Seems the pump in the hotpress is only linked to the showers. Needless to say, no instructions on how to use any valves/levers/anything in the 'Wood. I've rang a plumber but he'll be "sometime during the week", probably when I'm in work so he doesn;t have to!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

well, where do I start?

The tap fittings in the bathrooms on the wash basins were to be changed back in 2005. If you have the double twisty mixer tap then you have the newer fitting. If you have the lift and turn fitting, its the older one originally installed and should have been replaced (essentially the bore size is smaller on the original fitting which results in the poor pressure - Just take it that you are conserving water instead if you do have the older one!).

I'm not sure which Boiler you have. Check what setting is on the Gas Boiler. There might be a hot water cylinder setting. There could be one of a number of things happening: There could be an air lock at your hot water cylinder, There could be an incorrectly fitted motor vale in the hot press. The motor valve would normally turn of the rads while still heating your hot water cylinder so I understand your point there.

I think most plumbers would be smashing down your door to get business at the moment. I know of other reliable plumbers...PM sent.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hi

slightly off topic but can anyone recommend a decent carpenter...ever since the car was broken into the missus would like locks put on the doors leading from the hall to the kitchen and hall into sitting room for extra security...

Thanks.

Hi wrote: »
    slightly off topic but can anyone recommend a decent carpenter...ever since the car was broken into the missus would like locks put on the doors leading from the hall to the kitchen and hall into sitting room for extra security...

Thanks.
    Very off topic!

There is a carpenter listed in the handy numbers & links sticky at the top of the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

Sorry about posting on the old thread! But we've had rubbish pressure in the 3+ years we've been in the Wood. Anyway, a guy we know took a look at it and was able to sort it - we actually have decent pressure from the hot taps.

Now, I know nothing about plumbing, so my very basic understanding of the problem was that there was a type of splitter at the top of the hot tank which serviced the shower and the rest of the hot water. He took this apart and it was full of gunk. He says it's an overly-complicated solution as there are actually 2 valves on the tank so no need for it. So he's changed it all to use the 2 valves on the tank and it's working really well.

Anyway, hope this helps if anyone else is (still) having the same problem.

Advertisement