Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bob Barr - decent presidential candidate

Options
  • 19-07-2008 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

I've been reading Bob Barr's stance on things: http://www.bobbarr2008.com/issues/

He sounds very fair and balanced.

Have any of you even heard of this guy? He's running for president...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There is always one "stooge" running! If he should take votes from Obama and it lets McCain cash his chips (geddit?).....I'll be amazed! :pac:

Oh hang on he's a right wing nutter liberatarian, we can't have that sort of thing in the USA can we?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I think they reckon he will take votes from McCain, as he's a disgruntled ex-Republican.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hence my quick ammendment! The "third" candidate is usually leftish.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

He's a 'Libertarian' from Georgia who believes in small government except when it comes to legislating morals.

What's interesting about him, as a neo-con Christian type, is that he will put GA into play in the elections Creative Loafing Which up to now has been unthinkable.

Colbert on Bob Barr:

“Bob Barr has a long, Libertarian voting record. In Congress, he supported such privacy-friendly, small-government initiatives as the Defense of Marriage Act, which made the government small enough to fit in a bedroom.”

BTW: in the South, Libertarian just means FAR right wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I smell another Ron Paul internet phenomenon.

*sigh*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SteveS

dave2pvd wrote: »
    He's a 'Libertarian' from Georgia who believes in small government except when it comes to legislating morals.

What's interesting about him, as a neo-con Christian type

Huh, did you actually read any of his issues? Do you know much about neo-cons? My guess is no to both questions. Neo-cons big platform is the global war on terror, and war in general. He opposes this.
    Colbert on Bob Barr:

“Bob Barr has a long, Libertarian voting record. In Congress, he supported such privacy-friendly, small-government initiatives as the Defense of Marriage Act, which made the government small enough to fit in a bedroom.”

Wow, Colbert's writers apparently must not have read the DOMA, but I guess that probably doesn't matter to most of his viewers.

While the Libertarians have some decent ideas, some are just way out there and they will never be more than a fringe party. Ron Paul was probably one of the more moderate ones and he still got blasted by most "conservatives."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

SteveS wrote: »
    Huh, did you actually read any of his issues? Do you know much about neo-cons? My guess is no to both questions. Neo-cons big platform is the global war on terror, and war in general. He opposes this.

He opposes it now, sure. Because he is now anti-Bush. As opposed to what he used to be, anti-Clinton and anti-Libertarian (remember his medical-marijuana vs Libertarian Party struggle?). He was one of those who led the charge against Clinton's 'lack of morals'. While he was enjoying an extra-marital affair.

I won't read his manifesto. It only represents his current set of opinions. Who knows what next week's will be? Barr has perfected his craft to advance his career: the shameless flip-flopping that is hypocrisy.
    Wow, Colbert's writers apparently must not have read the DOMA, but I guess that probably doesn't matter to most of his viewers.

No, I think they have. And that's the point. If Barr had his way, the Sodomy Laws would be back again. On a state-by-state basis, of course. Because morals MUST be legislated, y'hear? Or else marriage as an institution will be defenseless :eek: If he is such a Libertarian, he'd push for separation of church and state when it comes to defining marriage and only have the state recognize civil union. And maybe then his free market mind just might take the next step and have churches compete to marry people. Just like good 'ol capitalism that he is such a proponent of.
    While the Libertarians have some decent ideas, some are just way out there and they will never be more than a fringe party. Ron Paul was probably one of the more moderate ones and he still got blasted by most "conservatives."

Incidentally, right now, I am sitting in my office in Barr's old congressional district. In the county that lost Olympic Games events due to their anti-gay legislative rhetoric.

Advertisement