Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Geography- Spain

Options
  • 19-07-2008 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi,
    this is kind of a strange question, but I thought this'd be the best place to ask it.
    On the Leaving Cert Geography syllabus, do you do case studies of other countries (geography, agriculture, industries)? As far as I can remember that was the case when I did my Leaving Cert (long ago!)
    I'm translating a text from Spanish and the word "vega" is in it. It doesn't really have a direct translation in English, but it means a fertile plain. I'm just wondering if I could keep the word "vega" in the English version. I think I remember it appearing in my old geography book, but that's long gone now so I can't check. So just wondering if any of you current students have seen the word used.
    Thanks!
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Im sure most of the examiners would not know the word though and I have no recollection of seeing it in any geography book. Could you not just say fertile land?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I remember doing case studies of Spain and I have never come across that word, but that's not to say it's not right.
    If you think it's a fertile plain, then can you just translate it like that? It would probably be better to make an attempt at translating it than leaving it as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Gaoithin

Thanks for your replies. Yeah, of course I can just say "fertile plain", I just thought it'd be nicer to keep one concise Spanish word. :) "Vega" is in the Oxford English Dictionary, but obviously it's not very commonly used. Just wanted to check.
    Thanks again for your help. ;)

Advertisement