Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When One Man Stood Up To Be Counted.......

• 19-07-2008 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭

Stuck here on a Saturday, typing a poxy dissertation, and the mind began to wander to all things football. I decided to lookup YouTube, and eventually I came across the Rivaldo hat-trick clip.

I had totally forgotten what an immense effort he gave in that game, single-handedly ensuring that Barca made the Champions league for the following season.

So, what other examples are there of one player stepping up to the plate, when the fate of his team is on a knife edge, and delivers a performance that single-handedly is greater than what all other 10 men on the team contributed that day.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Every time Roy Keane graced a football pitch?

to be more specific

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXIRLj_x6ig

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Newcastle 1 Leicester City 3 (96/97 season)

About 20 minutes or so to go. Up steps Shearer...

BANG, BANG, BANG! His first Newcastle hat-trick. Apparently he's carrying an injury.

We win 4-3 and qualify for the CL ahead of Arsenal and Liverpool on goal difference.

Love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

ntlbell wrote: »

Ah yes all those times he left ten men to fend for themsleves against eleven others.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ah yes all those times he left ten men to fend for themsleves against eleven others.

Yeah, he used to just walk of the pitch out of boredom :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

kinaldo wrote: »
    Newcastle 1 Leicester City 3 (96/97 season)

About 20 minutes or so to go. Up steps Shearer...

BANG, BANG, BANG! His first Newcastle hat-trick. Apparently he's carrying an injury.

We win 4-3 and qualify for the CL ahead of Arsenal and Liverpool on goal difference.

Love it!

Yeah, great days indeed. What about Tino demolishing Barca :)

If my memory serves me well, Big Quinny played a stormer one afternoon for Citey to try and save them from relegation. Sadly, they went down, but his performance sticks out in my head for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

to be more specific

From that clip he scored one goal how can you compare a hat-trick to one goal? :rolleyes:

Like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_st29mlQwU

Thats what the "man" will be remembered for.

yayamark wrote: »
    From that clip he scored one goal how can you compare a hat-trick to one goal? :rolleyes:

Thats what the "man" will be remembered for.

because he single handly kept them in the game and dragged them back into the game..

he didn't ask for times when someone stood up and scored a hat trick

because he single handly kept them in the game and dragged them back into the game..

he didn't ask for times when someone stood up and scored a hat trick

Well then he should have showed a clip of that.

Well then he should have showed a clip of that.

I'll spend the next few weeks making a clip of every crunching tackle

brb

I'll spend the next few weeks making a clip of every crunching tackle

brb

Great though it'll prob take a couple of months to compile all of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There can be only one.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

to be more specific

That video shows roy keane scoring a header. Not much of a clip for showing how good a player he was..:rolleyes:

If my memory serves me well, Big Quinny played a stormer one afternoon for Citey to try and save them from relegation. Sadly, they went down, but his performance sticks out in my head for some reason.

This was Quinny's finest moment -

Hero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Bloody hell, bunch of f*cking whinge bags in this thread.

He was showing a game where he thinks Keane "stood up to be counted", and put in a great performance. There's limited video choices available on YouTube for f*ck sake......

Well thats a winer allready Mike

Even Andy "i dont like Liverpool" Gray got excited about it.

ibh wrote: »
    That video shows roy keane scoring a header. Not much of a clip for showing how good a player he was..:rolleyes:

The thread is not about how good players are...

try reading the subject before ye throw your eyes around the place

it's a time when a man stood up to be counted

and i dont happen to have a clip of every single thing he did in a game.

hello?

we learning yet?

Dave! wrote: »

He was showing a game where he thinks Keane "stood up to be counted", and put in a great performance. There's limited video choices available on YouTube for f*ck sake......

There's Thousands of videos of players putting in great performances he just showed a video of a player scoring a header and tagged it with a great performance

No need for bad language either please.

There's Thousands of videos of players putting in great performances he just showed a video of a player scoring a header and tagged it with a great performance

how is it any different from stevie gerrard? he just scored a goal, a very good goal but all he did was score a goal...

it was a clip from the game, the goal shows he started the comback the importantce of the match etc

The thread is not about how good players are...

try reading the subject before ye throw your eyes around the place

it's a time when a man stood up to be counted

and i dont happen to have a clip of every single thing he did in a game.

hello?

we learning yet?

whatever man.. you posted the video to back up your statement about Keanes exceptional performance in that one game. It only showed him once. if it had shown some clips of him making tackles etc as well then it would have been an appropriate visual aid.

nice fail...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Well it's a matter of opinion, not fact. He evidentally thought it was a great performance from Keane, but did not have a highlights video of everything Keane did in the match, so settled for the goals, and left people to fill in the blanks with their memories of the game.

That alright with you buddy?

I censored the bad language, don't you worry.
    whatever man.. you posted the video to back up your statement about Keanes exceptional performance in that one game. It only showed him once. if it had shown some clips of him making tackles etc as well then it would have been an appropriate visual aid.

Stevie Gerard clip above = different in what way? Please explain

Exactly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Mr Alan wrote: »

Can you believe a West H fan i know maintains that they had that game stolen from them and deserved to win it..!

Well it's a matter of opinion, not fact. He evidentally thought it was a great performance from Keane, but did not have a highlights video of everything Keane did in the match, so settled for the goals, and left people to fill in the blanks with their memories of the game.

That alright with you buddy?

I censored the bad language, don't worry.

No problem at all but this thread is a waste of time unless people show clips of how players stood up and counted, thats my opinion.

No problem at all but this thread is a waste of time unless people show clips of how players stood up and counted, thats my opinion.

and gerrard did this how in the example?

scoring a goal?

Good point, but seen as Mr Alan just posted a good video suiting the title of this thread so i decided not to bother going back and commenting on all the posts. But yea, that clip didn't back up that argument at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

That Gerrard FA Cup game was definitely the best performance ive seen by anyone in a Liverpool shirt in my lifetime. Keane against Juventus in 99 was just as immense though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Absolutely. People re-writing history as an excuse to bash Keane.
    ibh wrote:

No you fail due to your staggering ignorance. This is what SAF said of Keane's performance that day:

"It was the most emphatic display of selflessness I have ever seen on a football field."

I think most people thought of the Keane performance against Juve when they clicked on this thread so please leave the smart-alec comments out of the thread. :rolleyes:
    So, what other examples are there of one player stepping up to the plate, when the fate of his team is on a knife edge, and delivers a performance that single-handedly is greater than what all other 10 men on the team contributed that day.

The performance by Beckham against Greece deserves a mention. He pretty much ensured qualification single-handedly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_ylVVtrlTU&feature=related

Redondo in that match still stands out as the best example of One Man doing what he had to when it was needed.

He was perfect in that game.

and gerrard did this how in the example?

scoring a goal?

I ddn't post the Gerard one ask mike

Well thats a winer allready Mike

Even Andy "i dont like Liverpool" Gray got excited about it.

You called his post a winner?

why would i ask mike why you thinkit's a winner?

Right where's my tin opener?

Keane played well against Juventus but stupidly, and typically, got himself a yellow card that ruled him of the final. Absolute idiot for doing that tbh. If United had of lost the final the blame would have been with Keane and Scholes and that semi final performance would now be regarded as a low point in his career.

In summary, Keane was bailed out by those who actually played in and won the final.

Right where's my tin opener?

Keane played well against Juventus but stupidly, and typically, got himself a yellow card that ruled him of the final. Absolute idiot for doing that tbh. If United had of lost the final the blame would have been with Keane and Scholes and that semi final performance would now be regarded as a low point in his career.

In summary, Keane was bailed out by those who actually played in and won the final.

he sacrificed himself FOR the team MISSED the final to insure his fellow teammates made the final

let some red flow through your blue veins it's turning green with envy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

maybe i'm thinking of a different incident, but did Keane's card in that semi not prevent a one on one with Schmeichel?

• Advertisement

I think this is an example of people getting goals confused with performance. No doubt it was a smashing effort, adn I will be forever grateful to Dave for it, but I think it was Roy Keane that day who dragged t team by the scruff of the neck to get us through that match.

The opening tackle on Overmars sent a message to the Dutch, but also sent a message to the boys in Green that we could win the game through hard work and 'honesty of effort'.

+1 To Beckham/Greece. The free-kick was the icing on the cake, and often the clip that is shown on t.v. but he really did run the park that day when most others around him had dropped the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

And Keane didnt help them to actually into the final? The wouldnt have being in that final if they didnt get that first goal. Coming from behind to beat a great team like Juventus is always going to be remembered whether they won the final or not. It wasnt against the likes of world beaters West Ham and Olympiakos ;)

Anyways who'd want a player who was more interested in avoiding being booked in a semi final that a player who just wanted his team to get there.

he sacrificed himself FOR the team MISSED the final to insure his fellow teammates made the final

let some red flow through your blue veins it's turning green with envy

Bollox. If United had of lost the final it would be considered one of the costliest yellow cards ever.

I think this is an example of people getting goals confused with performance. No doubt it was a smashing effort, adn I will be forever grateful to Dave for it, but I think it was Roy Keane that day who dragged t team by the scruff of the neck to get us through that match.

The opening tackle on Overmars sent a message to the Dutch, but also sent a message to the boys in Green that we could win the game through hard work and 'honesty of effort'.

+1 To Beckham/Greece. The free-kick was the icing on the cake, and often the clip that is shown on t.v. but he really did run the park that day when most others around him had dropped the head.

I agree but I'm taken into account a number of things

the importance of the match.

the fact that jason was brutal and not noted for his goal scoring or finishing but this day he stood up and was certinaly counted :D

Ronaldo (the real one) in 03 at Old Trafford was immense. Probably the last of his great performances.

• Advertisement

Bollox. If United had of lost the final it would be considered one of the costliest yellow cards ever.

and if he hadn't made the tackle they probably would of never got to the final

blah blah blah

stop talking nonsense.

and if he hadn't made the tackle they probably would of never got to the final

blah blah blah

stop talking nonsense.

You started it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It was a late challenge that cost him the booking. Rather than let this get to him a la Gascoigne, he pulled his socks up and got his team to the final. Ferguson added when looking at that performance:

"Pounding over every blade of grass, competing as if he would rather die of exhaustion than lose, he inspired all around him. I felt it was an honour to be associated with such a player."

All these 'ifs and buts' are ridiculous. Keane put in a legendary performance that day and without his efforts the team would not have made the final.

Haters will never acknowledge this though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i dont remember Roys tackle preventing a 1 on 1, i thought it was a silly petulant tackle in the middle of the park? am i wrong?

It was a late challenge that cost him the booking. Rather than let this get to him a la Gascoigne, he pulled his socks up and got his team to the final. Ferguson added when looking at that performance:

"Pounding over every blade of grass, competing as if he would rather die of exhaustion than lose, he inspired all around him. I felt it was an honour to be associated with such a player."

All these 'ifs and buts' are ridiculous. Keane put in a legendary performance that day and without his efforts the team would not have made the final.

Keane played well against Juventus....

Hmmm guess I'm not a hater so.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i dont remember Roys tackle preventing a 1 on 1, i thought it was a silly petulant tackle in the middle of the park? am i wrong?

It would of been a very dangerous situation if zidane had past keane

he made sure he didn't.

Hmmm guess I'm not a hater so.

I always associate that word with someone like Queen Latifah. Not appropiate football jargon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

If United had of lost the final the blame would have been with Keane and Scholes and that semi final performance would now be regarded as a low point in his career.

make up your mind

Keane played great against one of the great teams at that time, whether they won or lost the final doesnt come into it. It's how he helped them get there, thats what remembered.

It would of been a very dangerous situation if zidane had past keane

he made sure he didn't.

Proving his thuggery once more in the process.

Who's to say Zidane would've scored? I thought we weren't allowed deal in 'if's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Roy Keane vs Portugal.....2001.

Damien Duff vs Russia in 2004 qualification.

Oh and according to Reading fans, Stephen Hunt for the second half of the season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement