Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When One Man Stood Up To Be Counted.......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Proving his thuggery once more in the process.

Who's to say Zidane would've scored? I thought we weren't allowed deal in 'if's?

we don't know if he would of scored.

Keane felt it was dangerous he tackled him like he wasn't on a yellow card which is what would be demanded of him by the fans the manager and his fellow players.

he made the tackle he took the card he did everything in his power to make sure they made the final

what part confuses you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

make up your mind

I think it's pretty clear what I think
    Keane played great against one of the great teams at that time, whether they won or lost the final doesnt come into it. It's how he helped them get there, thats what remembered.

How can it not come into it?! The team's most important player picks up a yellow card and suspension that puts his side's chances of winning the tournament in doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

No you fail due to your staggering ignorance. This is what SAF said of Keane's performance that day:

"It was the most emphatic display of selflessness I have ever seen on a football field."

I think most people thought of the Keane performance against Juve when they clicked on this thread so please leave the smart-alec comments out of the thread. :rolleyes:

How did i display staggering ignorance exactly. Who cares what SAF said about his own player after the game. I never questioned the performance of the player, or the choice of that game as being an example of an outstanding performance.

The video shows fcuk all of Keane hence it was pointless to add it. If he couldn't find an appropriate video he should have just stated the game and as you said people would remember it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I think its very sad that posters like yayamark, ibh and xavi6 (who i am surprised by) cant just accept that roy keane played a blinder and broke his back for the team. he got booked in that game for being committed not for mouthing or something equally stupid.

ntlbell wrote: »
    we don't know if he would of scored.

Keane felt it was dangerous he tackled him like he wasn't on a yellow card which is what would be demanded of him by the fans the manager and his fellow players.

he made the tackle he took the card he did everything in his power to make sure they made the final

what part confuses you?

And had United lost the final Keane would be blameless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

It would of been a very dangerous situation if zidane had past keane

he made sure he didn't.

i seem to remember zidane having 4 defenders and possibly a couple of midfielders to deal with before there was a really dangerous situation.

for the benefit of the tape, Keane was amazing that night, but people cant just rewrite history...his booking was ****ing stupid as far as i remember and was a typical example of a major flaw with his game, too hot headed.

Xavi is dead right in saying that if they had of lost the final, he would have been blamed to a large extent.

btw, here is highlights of the manc game.

*also worth noting Gerrard was booked in the Olympiakos game for a similarly stupid tackle before his goal and missed the first tie of the next round.

How can it not come into it?! The team's most important player picks up a yellow card and suspension that puts his side's chances of winning the tournament in doubt.

Kean's objective is not to make sure they win the tournament

it was the semi final his job then was to make sure they got to the final, nothing else, he did that. end of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

ibh wrote: »

The video shows fcuk all of Keane hence it was pointless to add it. If he couldn't find an appropriate video he should have just stated the game and as you said people would remember it.

?
    the video show keane scoring a goal in a european cup semi final against Juventus.
    at the time man utd are 2-0 down in italy. roy keane pops up with a header and brings united back into a game they could have lost heavily.
    lads to be honest its not even worth arguing with you if you cant figure it out yourselves

I think its very sad that posters like yayamark, ibh and xavi6 (who i am surprised by) cant just accept that roy keane played a blinder and broke his back for the team.

I'll quote myself for the second time shall I? Just for you.
    Keane played well against Juventus.....
    he got booked in that game for being committed not for mouthing or something equally stupid.

He got booked for purposely chopping someone down. Lets all celebrate dirty tactics. Good trait in a hero :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I think its very sad that posters like yayamark, ibh and xavi6 (who i am surprised by) cant just accept that roy keane played a blinder and broke his back for the team. he got booked in that game for being committed not for mouthing or something equally stupid.

hang on a second. can someone read back over this and see where the fcuk i have discredited Keane's performance in any of this. my only gripe was that the link posted added nothing.

i thought it was a fantastic performance by him, matched by his performance against portugal in 01 however. No problem with it being labelled as one of the best individual performances.

Correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

and do you think if Keane wasnt playing that United would come back and win?

I dont think the likes of Yorke, Cole, Blomqvist, Giggs, Butt and Beckham are going to inspire others imo if there 2-0 down.

Kean's objective is not to make sure they win the tournament

it was the semi final his job then was to make sure they got to the final, nothing else, he did that. end of story.

Lol I've heard it all now. Some skipper he'd be if that was the case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

yes as they wouldent have been there in the first place sans Keane. and without him (and scholes) they actually didnt deserve to win the final as Bayern where much better on the day. Keane getting the yellow meant his performance was all the more impressive as he know he wouldent play in the final yet did everything he physically could to ensure that his team-mates would be, it was an occasion where one man stood up to be counted.

Correct.

Those blinkers must be awful tight
    and do you think if Keane wasnt playing that United would come back and win?

I dont think the likes of Yorke, Cole, Blomqvist, Giggs, Butt and Beckham are going to inspire others imo if there 2-0 down.

They were good enough to do it from a goal down with 2 minutes to go.

• Advertisement

yes as they wouldent have been there in the first place sans Keane. and without him (and scholes) they actually didnt deserve to win the final as Bayern where much better on the day. Keane getting the yellow meant his performance was all the more impressive as he know he wouldent play in the final yet did everything he physically could to ensure that his team-mates would be, it was an occasion where one man stood up to be counted.

One man's 'hero' is another man's dirty hacker.

Let's get this clear, deliberately chopping someone down is not heroic.

Lol I've heard it all now. Some skipper he'd be if that was the case.

I am pretty suprised by you and I'm struggling to hold my tongue.

11 players stepped out on to the pitch

It's the job of the 11 players to win that match.

Roys job is to captain the side during this game

he put in the best performance he's ever had in a united jersey.

his for that match is to make sure they win and get to the final

his job in the semi final is not to win the final it's to win the semi final

This is how football works...win the match in front of you the final is irrelvant.

I am pretty suprised by you and I'm struggling to hold my tongue.

Don't hold back on my account.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

One man's 'hero' is another man's dirty hacker.

I think you and keane are def the case and point of that here. He did have one hell of a dirty streak, but at the height of his game I was an ABU supporter (the league was more interesting if united didnt dominate a la the Keegan "I would Love it" year) and would still have picked him first on a Prem XI everytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wish I had a concession stand for this thread - "get your rattles here, light-weight design easy to throw"

Mike.

• Advertisement

Those blinkers must be awful tight

They were good enough to do it from a goal down with 2 minutes to go.

well I'd coming back from 2-0 down in Turin is a wee bit different than scoring 2 lucky goals from corners in a neutral venue against a team that was shellshocked after the first goal.

well I'd coming back from 2-0 down in Turin is a wee bit different than scoring 2 lucky goals from corners in a neutral venue against a team that was shellshocked after the first goal.

That's some serious sig material! :pac:

But seriously, both were fine achievements in their own right.

Chopping someone down (imo) unnecassarily and missing the biggest game of your career is more stupid and idiotic than herioc and completely undermined the rest of the performance.

and would you prefer a player on a yellow card playing in a champions league semi final to avoid any tackles for 90mins?

You hate Keane, we know it, theres not point of arguing anymore with you.

Anyways doesnt look any man city player will ever be in that situation ;)

and yes United were lucky, is scoring 2 goals in injury time not lucky? after being pretty poor for the previous 89 mins? 2 goals which were not top corner finishes from 30 yards out. And if you were a bayern player and conceded a goal in injury time when your 1-0 up in a champions league final, would you not be in bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Was it not Blomqvuist's fault for Keane's yellow?

He left him short for a pass and Keane went for it but Zizou got there first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

yeah that was it.

and would you prefer a player on a yellow card playing in a champions league semi final to avoid any tackles for 90mins?

You're asking the wrong guy, city will never be in a semi final of the champions league so he'll never have to wonder about it.

ah i just noticed you said the same

I'd prefer him not to resort to chopping someone down.

Yet I'm mature enough to say the guy had a stormer of a game. I merely don't agree with hatchet man tactics being praised.

Nice attempt to provoke a reaction :rolleyes:

and yes United were lucky, is scoring 2 goals in injury time not lucky? after being pretty poor for the previous 89 mins? 2 goals which were not top corner finishes from 30 yards out. And if you were a bayern player and conceded a goal in injury time when your 1-0 up in a champions league final, would you not be in bits.

You make your own luck. They forced the corners and made them count.
    You're asking the wrong guy, city will never be in a semi final of the champions league so he'll never have to wonder about it.

ah i just noticed you said the same

Lol is that all you could come up with?

Gotta love that 'report post' button

I'd prefer him not to resort to chopping someone down.

Yet I'm mature enough to say the guy had a stormer of a game. I merely don't agree with hatchet man tactics being praised.

Nice attempt to provoke a reaction :rolleyes:

You make your own luck. They forced the corners and made them count.

Lol is that all you could come up with?

Gotta love that 'report post' button

Who's praising it? this thread was about his over all game you brought the rest into it.

He was asking you a question you could never answer it wasn't all I could come up with, it was the right answer to the question.

you won't ever have to answer it so pointless asking you.

Who's praising it? this thread was about his over all game you brought the rest into it.

Oh how dare I question Sir Roy and his integrity, especially when it's relative to the specific example given :rolleyes:
    He was asking you a question you could never answer it wasn't all I could come up with, it was the right answer to the question.

you won't ever have to answer it so pointless asking you.

I admire you're certainty, I really do :rolleyes:

Not the first time your attempts at trolling have fallen on deaf ears so maybe quit while you're behind this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Who's praising it?
    he sacrificed himself FOR the team MISSED the final to insure his fellow teammates made the final

that sounds like praise to me.

• Advertisement

Oh how dare I question Sir Roy and his integrity, especially when it's relative to the specific example given :rolleyes:

I admire you're certainty, I really do :rolleyes:

Not the first time your attempts at trolling have fallen on deaf ears so maybe quit while you're behind this time.

Accusing me of trolling is that all you could come up with?:rolleyes:

If anyone has been trolling in this thread it's you good sir.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    that sounds like praise to me.

I'm praising him for playing like he wasn't on a yellow card and not pulling out of a tackle for selfish reasons.

I don't consider the tackle wreckless it was a tad late.

Accusing me of trolling is that all you could come up with?:rolleyes:

Some man for the comebacks.

Look you tried to get a reaction out of me with this -

and it didn't work. Unlucky.
    If anyone has been trolling in this thread it's you good sir.

Examples please.

Or is it trolling to criticise Sir Roy?

I've backed up all my points validly, engaged in a reasonable debate and never once resorted to childish digs, unlike some.....

Some man for the comebacks.

"Lol is that all you could come up with?"

It was your come back mr creativity ;)

It was your come back mr creativity ;)

Exactly. You failed at originality. And quoting.

Exactly. You failed at originality. And quoting.

I see you cleaned up your mis quote, good lad ;)

mike65, can we get those rattles?

Yeah this is going nowhere. A good debate was ruined by the inevitable needless baiting. Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Yeah this is going nowhere. A good debate was ruined by the inevitable needless baiting. Ah well.

I wouldn't call this a good debate. From the start, its just been people praising players achievements of the clubs they like, while playing down the achievements of those who play for clubs they don't like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Man you're all just playa haters. Don't hate the playa, hate the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Gerrard performace against West Ham in the FA cup was much more of a one man who stood up to be counted performace then Keans imo, at least Keane was playing with half decent teamates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

eoin2nc wrote: »
    Gerrard performace against West Ham in the FA cup was much more of a one man who stood up to be counted performace then Keans imo, at least Keane was playing with half decent teamates!

Liverpool fan, are you?

you could also say united were playing against half decent oppisition ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Roy Keane against Portugal in the 2002 qualifiers. Seemed to make a point of running at Figo when he had the ball, taking on their best player and beating him, one of the best midfield performances I've seen.

Keane against Holland for setting the tone with the Overmars tackle also worth a mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Zidane; World Cup Final 1998 and Semi-Final 2006.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

FFS, has there ever been a more divisive character in the world of sport than Roy Keane?!
    Admit it lads no one would have questioned the original clip provided if it was any other player.

...oh, and Xavi this was never a good debate.

Back on topic...I was at the Holland v Czech game at Euro'04. Holland went 2-0 up and from then on in Pavel Nedved was just out of this world and the Czechs went on to win 3-2. To be fair there were a couple of other good performances from team mates too but he stood head and shoulders above the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

With regards to the Keane thing can I ask people who hate Keane, do you honestly think that he went into that tackle trying to get himself booked. It was no vicous tackle like some of his, but a poor mistimed tackle, happens all the time on the football pitch. Shows the guy was focused on the match, on winning the game, every tackle 100% ect, rather than pussy footing around the place afraid to be booked. I hate the way you throw 'ifs' and 'buts' but seeing how that is the basis of the entire argument, if Keane had not been booked he would have been injured anyway, 4 days before in the Fa cup final. But then again would Fergie have played him?, if he hadn't put in the tackle would Utd have made the final?...there in is life, get over it.

Anyway have to say Zidane vs Brazil in 06 was an incredible performance, he was the playmaker, leader, the heart of the team and drove them to the win when before the game everyone doubted the team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvYlvkWpPy4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm a Liverpool fan and as much as I love Gerrard, the reality is that he has never, ever in his career to this point put in a performance anywhere near Keane:

vs Juventus 99
    vs Portugal 01
    vs Holland 01
    vs Leverkusen 02
    vs France 05

All of the above (and particularly the first two) were examples of an athlete playing way and above what could be unreasonably expected - displaying a **** you attitude to the opposition; to teammates who didn't want it as much; and to the idea of walking off the pitch with anything left in the tank.

I don't know what the **** Xavi is on about in this thread. The man got booked. And then unlike Gazza or others who have come before bemoaning their luck and stumbling to the end of the game feeling sorry for themselves - he rolled up the sleeves and dragged his team to the final anyway.

I remember watching the game and being taken aback at the ground he was covering - at the countless tackles and runs and headers he was putting in. I was at Landsdowne in June 2001 when he played Portugal on his own and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up at times during the game. He was everywhere and just ****ing destroyed.

People, you need to see beyond club allegiances and give credit where it is due.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I don't know what the **** Xavi is on about in this thread. The man got booked. And then unlike Gazza or others who have come before bemoaning their luck and stumbling to the end of the game feeling sorry for themselves - he rolled up the sleeves and dragged his team to the final anyway.

Look, to simplify it, I think that the yellow card and subsequent suspension took the gloss off the performance.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    People, you need to see beyond club allegiances and give credit where it is due.

Agreed, which is why I said on more than one occassion that he had a stormer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

read the charter folks. I find the parts on flaming and calling people trolls to be very interesting myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Anyway, back on topic...

Step forward Ronnie:

_44239100_rosenthal270.jpg

2-0 down in a 5th round FA Cup replay to Southampton, Ronnie delivered two piledrivers to bring the game into extra-time, where he completed the hat-trick to give us the lead and with goals following from Sheringham, Anderton and Barmby we won 6-2.

• Advertisement
Advertisement