Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When One Man Stood Up To Be Counted.......

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Anyway, back on topic...

Step forward Ronnie:

_44239100_rosenthal270.jpg

2-0 down in a 5th round FA Cup replay to Southampton, Ronnie delivered two piledrivers to bring the game into extra-time, where he completed the hat-trick to give us the lead and with goals following from Sheringham, Anderton and Barmby we won 6-2.

Gazza in the semi final of the '91 Cup was pretty epic, in fact, didn't he carry Spuds all the way from the early rounds to the final. Pity about the final though, but it sums up Gazza's life really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'm a Liverpool fan and as much as I love Gerrard, the reality is that he has never, ever in his career to this point put in a performance anywhere near Keane:

vs Juventus 99
    vs Portugal 01
    vs Holland 01
    vs Leverkusen 02
    vs France 05

All of the above (and particularly the first two) were examples of an athlete playing way and above what could be unreasonably expected - displaying a **** you attitude to the opposition; to teammates who didn't want it as much; and to the idea of walking off the pitch with anything left in the tank.

I don't know what the **** Xavi is on about in this thread. The man got booked. And then unlike Gazza or others who have come before bemoaning their luck and stumbling to the end of the game feeling sorry for themselves - he rolled up the sleeves and dragged his team to the final anyway.

I remember watching the game and being taken aback at the ground he was covering - at the countless tackles and runs and headers he was putting in. I was at Landsdowne in June 2001 when he played Portugal on his own and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up at times during the game. He was everywhere and just ****ing destroyed.

People, you need to see beyond club allegiances and give credit where it is due.

At last. Thank you.

How the liverpool fans can come on post a video of Gerrard against West Ham as some sort of comparison to Keane or Rivaldo are deluded beyond belief.

Keane wins this thread by a country mile. Pool fans; a dose of reality please.

fwiw, i support neither Utd or Liverpool.

Also, pity there is next to nothing of Paul McGrath on youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

quarryman wrote: »

Yeah jaysus, forget about McGrath. His performance in Giants Stadium is up there with anything Keane or any other athlete has done. Absolute colossus that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

quarryman wrote: »
    Yeah jaysus, forget about McGrath. His performance in Giants Stadium is up there with anything Keane or any other athlete has done. Absolute colossus that day.

Fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Agreed on McGrath in Giants Stadium. Seeing him put on THE masterclass in defending against the italians of all teams(with Baresi et al) was a joy to behold. And to be fair a young Keane was also immense that day and in all our games at that tournament.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Roberto Baggio in '94 - carrying an injury through the tournament, he scored twice in the dying minutes to beat Nigeria, then scored a late winner against Spain and two more crackers against Bulgaria, but will always be remembered for missing a stupid penalty in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

_1520729_keaneholland_150.jpg

As an aside, we'll need more of that kind of thing if we are going to be in the WC in 2010. Where it will come from is up for debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Most recent on in my mind...
    At the age of 19, Lionel Messi stepped up and scored a hat-trick to salvage a 3-3 goal draw against Madrid at the Camp Nou with Barca playing with 10 men.... It's obviously my Barca bias speaking here, but it is in the history books... Lets hope this boy comes out with many more of these performances and is remembered as a great...

Viva Messi!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvYlvkWpPy4&feature=related

zidane dancing through brazil in 06 wc, there's a gravity every movement he makes that is incredible, his dribbling on the ball is so effortless, making the brazilian midfield look like sunday league players.

kaka schooling united at old trafford, even though ac lost kaka gave an absolute masterclass in midfield, getting 2 vital away goals and leaving his team in a position to get a result for the home leg - that was the one that jumped into my head when i saw this thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnt0CX9VpHs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Liam Brady, Juventus vs. Catanzaro, 16 May 1982.

This may not have been an entire performance but one moment symbolises what it means to put your personal interests aside and deliver for your team.

Juve and Fiorentina were both going for the title on the final day of the season. Both sides were level on 44 points going into the last game. Goal difference doesn't come into the equation in Serie A so if both sides finished level, there'd be a play-off. Fiorentina arguably had the easier fixture against lowly Cagliari whereas Juve were playing mid-table Catanzaro.

At the time, Italian sides were limited to two non-Italain players. At Juve, this was Zbigniew Boniek and Liam Brady. Pretty much everyone in Juve was already aware that Michel Platini would be joining in the summer, meaning that one Boniek or Brady would have to go. It was almost certainly going to be, an later was, Brady.

The Fiorentina Cagliari match ended 0-0 but at the same time Juve were drawing 0-0 with Catanzaro until they get a penalty and Liam Brady steps up to take it. Considering the importance of the penalty and the fact that Brady pretty much knew he wouldn't be a Juve player for the next season, he might not have been the best choice.

But nevermind all that, Brady stepped up and tucked away the peno, winning the Scudetto for a team who already had plans to get rid of him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement