Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kevin Keegan Working His Magic On Duffer?

• 19-07-2008 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭

Now I now it's only a pre-season game, and it is Hartlepool, but Duffer netted a hat-trick today as the Toon beat Hartlepool United 4-1. I haven't seen the goals, but all 3 of Duff's sound like great runnig, and great finishing on his behalf.
    Newcastle United fought back from a goal down to claim a fine 4-1 pre-season victory over neighbours Hartlepool.

Matty Robson fired the League One side ahead at Victoria Park on 16 minutes after latching onto Joel Porter's neat through-ball.

That lead nearly lasted until half-time, but forgotten man Damien Duff sent a pin-point left-footed curler inside Arran Lee-Barrett's far post to level the scoreline.

The visitors took control of the contest after the interval with new-boy Danny Guthrie picking out Duff who coolly slotted home his second of the game on 52 minutes.

Newcastle put the game beyond the home side within 60 seconds with Guthrie's low drive from outside the box taking a slight deflection and nestling into the back of Lee Barrett's goal.

With just minutes remaining Duff completed his hat-trick after sending the ball into the top corner after being teed up by Shola Ameobi to complete a fine afternoon's work.

I think myself, like most Toon fans, had given up on Duffer, as his form and attitude was woeful last season. However, Keegan's football suits Duff down to a T, and KK already showed how he can re-invent an injury prone player with what he got out of Owen last season.

Maybe there is a bright future for Duff at St. James afterall. If so, this can only be good news for the national side.

Also, nice to see Guthrie get a goal on his first run out in the black and white.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Now I now it's only a pre-season game, and it is Hartlepool, .

You didn't need to go on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I think myself, like most Toon fans, had given up on Duffer, as his form and attitude was woeful last season.
    He didn't have the greatest of starts after he came back from injury, but he put in some decent performances towards the end of the season.

I really don't get why people seem to think he's completely crocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I really don't get why people seem to think he's completely crocked.

Becasue he has done sweet FA at club and international level for the est part of 3 years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

first pre-season for Duffer in 4years iirc, really hope the player he was back then can re-emerge but im skeptical. aparantally he lost a load of weight too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Pre-season means nothing.

Keegan is not a magician.

Voronin is running amuck in pre-season again for Liverpool, despite being ****e.

Duff is finished.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

How has Duff not done it for Ireland?

His last competitive match was against Slovakia, and he was MOM. Then against Serbia he was good.

Hopefully the old Duff at CLUB level this season.

Mr Alan wrote: »

Voronin is running amuck in pre-season again for Liverpool, despite being ****e.

Duff is finished.

Class is permanent, form is temporary. This is the closet thing anyone has seen of the Damien Duff circa 2002 in god knows how long.

My point re Keegan, is that he is probably one of the best managers for Duff when you consider the football he will try and gte the team playing, and if Duff is to ever regain anything close to his '02 days, it will be under a manager like KK. Duff never really had a chance of re-establishing himself with Fat Sam's ideolgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I remember seeing Kezman destroying teams in pre season for Chelsea, also Shevchenko showing great promise with his goal against Liverpool.
    Even Dong looked decent in pre season, means nothing tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i wouldn't go so far as to say it means nothing, the fact that he's doing anything at all, and that he's obviously gone and gotten himself fit speaks volumes imo.

KK after the match said he's down to the weight he was at 18. Saw the goals, he was really busting a gut with his runs which i haven't seen in a long time.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    i wouldn't go so far as to say it means nothing, the fact that he's doing anything at all, and that he's obviously gone and gotten himself fit speaks volumes imo.

KK after the match said he's down to the weight he was at 18. Saw the goals, he was really busting a gut with his runs which i haven't seen in a long time.

Thank you. I think you summed up what I was trying to say.

Duff of last season looked disinterested and had looked like he had no desire to do anything remotely creative on the pitch. The Duff of last year wouldn't have done what he did today against a Sunday league side, let alone a League 1 side.

What we saw today was someone who is hungry, and eager to prove themselves again. I probably sound like Johnny Giles, but hunger and desire can bring alot out an ordinary player, let alone one with the natural gifts such as Duff. That alone is very encouraging as both a Newcastle and Irish supporter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Was he back playing on the left wing?

SofaK wrote: »
    Was he back playing on the left wing?

Yeah he was playing on the left, but KK seemed to give him a free role as he overlapped the strikers alot.

Here's the goals if anyone hasn't seen them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Class is permanent, form is temporary. This is the closet thing anyone has seen of the Damien Duff circa 2002 in god knows how long.

So, therefore, Duff's "class" is exactly what he's been showing in the last SIX years, his temporary form of 2000-2002 is exactly that. Temporary Form.

He's shíte, had a good couple of years, and is now back at his natural level.

Scoring hat-tricks against Hartlepool in pre-season.

Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

He was class for Chelsea in his debut season to be fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Don't expect Des to respond to that. He tend to talk nonsense when its comes to Damien Duff and in fact any Irish player.

Des wrote: »
    So, therefore, Duff's "class" is exactly what he's been showing in the last SIX years, his temporary form of 2000-2002 is exactly that. Temporary Form.

He's shíte, had a good couple of years, and is now back at his natural level.

Scoring hat-tricks against Hartlepool in pre-season.

Amazing.

You're cookin the books big style there Des with the numbers.

Duff had been showing his class since about 2000 with Rovers. His M.O was the World Cup, no doubt about it, but he has was a class act the following season with Rovers, and in his first two seasons with Chelsea.

It was in his third season at the Bridge that saw him benched, and he has never really recovered from that. I put it down to combination of injuries, his confidence going, and having two managers in Allardyce and Maureen that really didn't know how to use him or want to give him the chance to prove himself.

This is the first time in about 3 years that he is fit, had a pre-season, and will be playing for a manger that believes in him, and will let hi play football the way he does best. Give the lad a chance, surely as an Irish supporter it's in your interest?

Give the lad a chance, surely as an Irish supporter it's in your interest?

lol

Who says I'm an Irish supporter?

The "Irish" National Team does not represent me.

Anyway, that's a different discussion.

lol

Who says I'm an Irish supporter?

The "Irish" National Team does not represent me.

Anyway, that's a different discussion.

Alright, fair enough. But it is a fair assumption on my behalf to make, no?

Alright, fair enough. But it is a fair assumption on my behalf to make, no?

Nope.

KK spoke highly yesterday of Duff and made some interesting points

"He has worked so hard in training, the running and the way he has worked with everything we have put on probably showed out there on Saturday.

"You have just got a draw a line under where he has been and just judge him from now, now he has had a chance to put a foundation into his season, which he hasn't had for three years.

"Any players who misses the pre-season, you ask any player, no matter how good they are, where they have played and what qualities they possess, it is very hard without that base.

"I think you will see a different Damien Duff this season. There were signs of that on Saturday, but obviously, there is more to come."

Duff has been at the centre of much transfer speculation this summer, but Keegan insists that the winger is going nowhere.

"There has been speculation about every one of our players, but I definitely want to keep him (Duff)," said Keegan.

From what is being said it appears that Duffer must be bursting a gut in training and really applying himself to everything the coaches are saying. Keegan has noticed this and appears to be willing to give him the opportunity to prove himself ad turn his carear back around.

For Duff, it must be very encouraging and morale boosting to hear Keegan say that a line is drawn, leaving all the negative things in the past, and that he will only be judge on what happens from now. Good on ya KK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Good to see. I might have to put him in my FF team. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Duff always had a touch of class, but it's difficult to know how much his injuries have affected him, both physically and mentally.

He might have a great pre-season and get a good run of games, but you just know he's going to get an injury at some stage, which could put an end to his season.

There were times over the last few years where it looked like he didn't even want the ball...

Hope it works out for him, but you've got to wonder how much he can offer after being injured for so long

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

OT, though slightly on-T: Anyone know what's happening with Steven Carr? I saw he was released.

OT, though slightly on-T: Anyone know what's happening with Steven Carr?

Sitting at home, still in shock that he wasn't turfed out years, and that a club was foolish enough to pay him as a pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Duff is finished.

Every one of your points is 100% true, especially Keegan not being a magician.
    This is the first, and last time I'll agree with any of your posts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

OT, though slightly on-T: Anyone know what's happening with Steven Carr? I saw he was released.

Training with West Ham, have a mate who's over with West Ham and he told me Carr's been training with the reserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Nope.

Yeah, I mean you only have 6 Ole's in your sig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Duff is finished.

+1 - Was just about to say that when I read the first post. He did very well in pre season last year too, he actually looked like a very promising signing, pre season tells ye nothing. He's finished
    How has Duff not done it for Ireland?
    His last competitive match was against Slovakia, and he was MOM. Then against Serbia he was good.
    Hopefully the old Duff a CLUB level this season.

At international level he is nowhere near the level he once was, if you think he is I can only assume you forget just how good he used to be, he was a joy to watch

6 years is a long time to be off form, off the top of my head I can't think of any player who was off form for that long then returned to their best

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

colly10 wrote: »
    +1 - He did very well in pre season last year too, he actually looked like a very promising signing, pre season tells ye nothing. He's finished

Duff didn't have a pre-season last year, and he was out injured until December. According to Keegan at the weekend, he hasn't had a proper pre-season in three years

• Advertisement

colly10 wrote:
    6 years is a long time to be off form, off the top of my head I can't think of any player who was off form for that long then returned to their best

(Banging head against computer)

What I posted above
    Me wrote:
    You're cookin the books big style there Des with the numbers.

Duff had been showing his class since about 2000 with Rovers. His M.O was the World Cup, no doubt about it, but he has was a class act the following season with Rovers, and in his first two seasons with Chelsea.

It was in his third season at the Bridge that saw him benched, and he has never really recovered from that. I put it down to combination of injuries, his confidence going, and having two managers in Allardyce and Maureen that really didn't know how to use him or want to give him the chance to prove himself.

This is the first time in about 3 years that he is fit, had a pre-season, and will be playing for a manger that believes in him, and will let hi play football the way he does best. Give the lad a chance, surely as an Irish supporter it's in your interest?
    colly10 wrote:
    +1 - Was just about to say that when I read the first post. He did very well in pre season last year too, he actually looked like a very promising signing, pre season tells ye nothing. He's finished

You're missing the point. Pre-season, in Duff's case, does tell alot. He looks fit, hungry and determined, something which he hasn't been for a number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

You're missing the point. Pre-season, in Duff's case, does tell alot. He looks fit, hungry and determined, something which he hasn't been for a number of years.

How many pre season games have Newcatle played?

OPENROAD wrote: »
    How many pre season games have Newcatle played?

1. But it's not just about games. If Keegan is to be believed, and I do, Duff has been bursting a serious gut in pre-season training, and has dropped his weight down significantly.

1. But it's not just about games. If Keegan is to be believed, and I do, Duff has been bursting a serious gut in pre-season training, and has dropped his weight down significantly.

Maybe, but lets see how he gets on in actual games.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Maybe, but lets see how he gets on in actual games.

Of course. But his attitude, by all accounts, appears to be the best since the 05/06 season, and that's something which is encouraging as a Ireland and Newcastle fan.

Of course. But his attitude, by all accounts, appears to be the best since the 05/06 season, and that's something which is encouraging as a Ireland and Newcastle fan.

Would like to see Newcastle do well this season, like Keegan and I do feel sorry for there fans.

I will watch Duff with interest this season as has been said if he can stay injury free he may well have a good season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

colly10 wrote: »
    6 years ago he hadn't even joined Chelsea. He was one of Chelsea's best players in his first 2 years there and was often their best player. Mourinho said so himself at one point and it's obvious how highly Ranieri thought of him. For Ireland his best years were under Kerr and has been our best outfield player since the '02 world cup. He hasn't been great for 3 years now which is a very long time but to say 6 years is madness. 02-05 were 3 of his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eirebhoy wrote: »
    What are you talking about with 6 years? 6 years ago he hadn't even joined Chelsea. He was one of Chelsea's best players in his first 2 years there and was often their best player. For Ireland his best years were under Kerr and has been our best outfield player since the '02 world cup. He hasn't been great for 2 years now so we'll no this season whether he's past it.
    Indeed, I remember doing a poll on this very board when he was at Chelsea asking who was their best player and Duff came out on top and I think someone else done the same on an English forum and Duff came out on top again.

While Duff's form has dipped with Ireland over the past few years he certainly puts in some great performances when fit.

I think this season will be a good season for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Duff didn't have a pre-season last year, and he was out injured until December. According to Keegan at the weekend, he hasn't had a proper pre-season in three years

Was talking about Voronin

Advertisement