Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2005 XC90 opinions?

Options
  • 19-07-2008 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Any folks got any experoence with an XC90? Looking at a 2005 with 60K miles. Is there anything in particular to look out for on these? Any ideas regarding mpg?

Thanks for any help/advice

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ballinloughan

2.4 diesel .. SE spec.
    6spd Manual is my preference ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

The auto version is very thirsty and the turbo lag is pretty annoying at times, but it's a very comfortable car for long journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Well Jeremy Clarkson swears by them if that's any indication. :D

Bought one for the school run AFAIK...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

pburns wrote: »
    Well Jeremy Clarkson swears by them if that's any indication. :D

Bought one for the school run AFAIK...

Hes on his second one at this stage afaik. He has said tho, that the diesel engine is hopeless.Its merits are in its family friendly design and feel

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm eyeing it from a family perspective.
    Anyone currently own one? Any negative / positive experiences ..gotchas?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Scottie99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

A friend has one. Says its more like a high estate car as its longer than you'd think but easy to rive and comfortable. Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Jeremy Clarkson hates diesels, simple as.

I'm not keen on diesel either but cars that really just have to be diesel, such as the XC90 don't interest me at all either. That said I'm a big fan of Volvos and I'd say the XC90 is the best 4X4 there is. It must be good if Jeremy Clarkson bought one!

If you buy a manual XC90, it will be like the Volvo slogan - it'll be "for life" because no-one will ever want it off you should you want to get rid of it.

Avoid manual at all costs.

Interesting that you suggest avoiding manuals as thats my preference - have owned autos and never liked them! I would have though that a manual box would be more desirable in an older car (say I sell in 4/5 yrs time when the car would be 7/8 yrs old).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Interesting that you suggest avoiding manuals as thats my preference - have owned autos and never liked them! I would have though that a manual box would be more desirable in an older car (say I sell in 4/5 yrs time when the car would be 7/8 yrs old).

Oh no. It'll be even less desirable then than now. A diesel automatic is an absolute must for a posh 4X4 like the Volvo.

Thanks for that E92 ..
    Would many others agree with E92??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Thanks for that E92 ..
    Would many others agree with E92??
    Absolutely, a manual XC90 will be pretty much sale-proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I agree aswell that an auto 'box is a must.Really, put personal prefeerence aside on this one.The fuel economy probably wouldnt even be that much worse and the car would be a lot more relaxing to drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I'd agree with auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Another option.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Lexus/RX400H/Auto-Hybrid/905153/

Lexus RX 400h, great spec, very powerful (for a 4X4) economical to run (for a 4X4)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

They have been known to give injector trouble. A very old school diesel engine which is getting a revamp for 09. Long overdue.

I do appreciate the comments but am still leaning toward the manual ... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I do appreciate the comments but am still leaning toward the manual ... :o
    The auto vs manual values thing cuts both ways - if you can find a used manual, you should be able to get it far more cheaply than an equivalent auto.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Subaru FTW

Advertisement