Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice On New PC

Options
  • 19-07-2008 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hello,

I will be getting a new PC in the next 2-4 wks and would like some advice from users on what they thinks of my suggested specs.

The main use for the PC will be for Microsoft FSX , video editing and general use.

CPU.
    From my research, FSX is mainly CPU (Speed)driven. There appears to be no clear winner on the dual core/quad core arguement although I think a quad core overclocked seems to be the way forward. I am also concious that Intel will be launching Nethalam late this year which will require anew motherboard.

Option: E8400 or E8500 @3GH and overclock it.

Motherboard
    FSX does not appear to get any huge gain with SLI or Crossfire, so a P35 motherboard that supports overclocking is my suggestion here.

Gigabyte GA-P35T-DS3P ,Intel P35, ATX, DDR3, PCI-Express

Memory

DDR2 memory is very cheap so either 4 or 8gb here depending if I go with a 32bit or 64bit OS

4GB PC6400 DDR2-800 SDRAM

Video Card.

ATI is back with a bang. The 4870 seems to be a winner here, only worry is resolution of my monitor. Also the 4870x2 is out on Aug 12th.

HIS HD 4870 GDDR5 512MB HDMI Dual-DVI/TV

Hard Drive

FSX performance seem to be relatively unaffected. Also long as the latest and fastest 7200rpm drives are used.

2x Samsung F1 750GB

PSU.

600 -700W and quiet!!!

Open to suggestions

Monitor(s)
    Have an existing Dell 20" and will be adding a 24"

Iiyama ProLite B2403WS, 24"

OS

Plan to dual boot with Win XP Pro 32 and Vista Ultimate 64

I will be using my existing LILAN tower and getting a cheaper case for my existing PC.

I really would appreciate some feedback from users on any suggestions they would make. Particularly around the motherboard/CPU/Video card. Budget is around 1600-1800e

Regs

Liam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Looks good, I would go with p45 over p35 for the extra overclocking/ features.

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/2VvWC4jqVSlPZa/articledetail.jsp?aid=22386&agid=659

Corsair 750 watt would be more than enough for 4870x2 if you get that.

I would go with a very good cpu, cant see the 4870x2 being worth extra for fsx, money might be better spent on cpu.

Its cpu dependant game, it doesn't matter that much which graphics cards you use,Toms has fsx benches showing little difference between 8600gts to an 8800gtx.

On adverts, there's a guy selling a QX9770, much cheaper than any price online.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=62526&cat=8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

You might want to get faster memory if you plan to overclock it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

any interest in SSD for the OS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 T-max

Have you considered the gain whilst using 2 x HD's in RAID 0 config? Actual application buffering/rendering can dramatically increase with this set-up.

Advertisement