Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

buying in UK ferries home!!

Options
  • 19-07-2008 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

hey everyone, nearly definite about going over to buy a car from cargiant.co.uk next week....only thing is ferries home, the only one i can find is irishferries at 17:15pm........my question is : would i make this in time from london!!??? seems like id be struggling, anyone have any answers to this or experiences?? much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

smokie78 wrote: »
    only thing is ferries home, the only one i can find is irishferries at 17:15pm........my question is : would i make this in time from london!!???
    It would depend on what time you intend leaving London, what part of London, what port, what day of the week etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I can tell you i didnt make it.

Last week :( . Left london at around 11.30am . Thought i had enough time . NO i didnt. Sat Nav was great though. Just every motorway i hit had traffic jams on it. 40 miles an hour all over the place. Was absolutely bullin!

Id say you could make it quickly if you took the regional roads rather than the motorways there just seems to be alot of work/ accidents on them.

My advice leave London no later than 10-10:15am Also BEWARE the ferry requests that all drivers be there 30 mins before sail for loading. and they stick to that!! I had to wait around for the next one at 2:30AM . sad times... btu now i have my new car :) Yay :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

if you use the AA route planner it will tell you the distance and how long it will take using legal speeds, should give you a fair idea of how long it will take you assuming you dont drive like a lunatic and traffic does affect your travel time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

I've collected a few motorbikes from london and just about made the ferry at 5.15.You would want to at the dealership at 9am and out of there at 9.30 for to make it me thinks.Is car giant in north or south london.South and your ******.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

There are loads of ferries, check www.aferry.to

There's also Rosslare, Dun Leery, fast and slow ferries. I'd recommend the slow as no matter what the weather they always sail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

There are 8 daily sailings to Ireland (Dublin and Dun Laoghaire) from Holyhead alone. There are also 6 to Rosslare from Fishguard and Pembroke and several services from Liverpool.

If you are buying a car the last thing you should be doing is rushing out of the dealer in order to catch a ferry for numerous reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

bought a bemmer from car giant in may, got train to harlesden from london euston and walked to car giant (15 mins), there at 9 am,saw car on internet previous day, looked at car i wanted and test drove all fine, said i wanted car for export no problem they said, told to come back in 4 hours with cash or bankers draft, came back with draft at 2 pm and car was waiting all valeted everything, staff were great, highly recommended , stayed at brother house that night, up next day heading for pembroke ferry to rosslare set off at 8am had plenty of time as ferry leaving at 14.30, heavy traffic for first hour then fine arriving at port at 1pm,home in my house by 9pm well happy, saving compared to similar model etc was €5000..let me know how you got on if you go to car giant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

I left Southend-on-sea (which is the other side of london) at about half 10. After flying over on the first ryanair flight on a saturday and getting picked up from the airport by the dealership.

Made the 17.15 Irish Ferries ferry with about 45 minutes to spare - wasn't speeding but I only made a quick stop for a sandwich on the way. By quick i mean about 10 mins.

If you miss the ferry the next one is at something like 2 in the morning. If you think you're going to miss the ferry I'd advise you to stop somewhere before Holyhead if you have time to kill. Holyhead is fairly grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Oh, and the 2 in the morning sailing ISN'T the swift sailing - the 17.15 is.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

You'd be better off going for the 2am sailing out of Pembroke or Fishguard.You'd make it from this side of the m25 to the port in around 4 hours easy after 7pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Oh, and the 2 in the morning sailing ISN'T the swift sailing - the 17.15 is.

Amen to that! :(:( Sleepy...;)

Advertisement