Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My 1st 100km - How did I do?

Options
  • 19-07-2008 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I have only been cycling since april and have yet to join up with a group so don't know where I'm at in relative terms. I did my first 100km today (before last saturday 40km was my limit) in 3hr 55min. I have attached the elevation profile from mapmyrun.

Equipment - Giant SCR-4 (2008) - 6ft1, 180lb

Also as i'm coming from a GAA background can anyone give me an idea as to a suitable warm down / stretching routine?

thanks,

Andy

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Well done
    ajk24 wrote: »
    Also as i'm coming from a GAA background can anyone give me an idea as to a suitable warm down / stretching routine?

Do you know. I wouldn't have a clue. I live in the middle of town, so I always find that the first and last half hour at least of each ride are always done at a more gentle pace as I hit heavier traffic. Works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Well done. Did my first 100km today as well. Feels good doesn't it !

Congratulations.

To answer your question most people I know if they do anything, may do a few stretches and then take the first few km a bit easier than the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Well done Andy, not insignificant climbing for a first 100km. Consider coming out with us some time- if you want a _really_ gentle one, 9am tomorrow (Sunday) morning in the Phoenix Park (Papal Cross)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

This has brought up something I was wondering.

I'm currently working up my mileage, most was 47kms on Thursday and planning on stretching that out a little tomorrow (Sunday).

Should I do a warm up period, then stretch - hydrate etc, for the long haul or just head out and get the mileage in?.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

ajk24 wrote: »
    I did my first 100km today (before last saturday 40km was my limit) in 3hr 55min.

congrats! 100k is a big milestone (kilometerstone?:confused::D) and it looks like you did it well.

the warm-up/cool-down/stretching question is a good one, and one i don't have a proper answer to. i do a bit of yoga every now and again and there are definitely some good poses in that for loosening up the legs and massaging the lower back.
    Mairt wrote: »
    Should I do a warm up period, then stretch - hydrate etc, for the long haul or just head out and get the mileage in?.

hydration is a big one for me; i usually drink about 2 pints of water with a good breakfast in the hour before a long spin. i also find the legs are a bit better the next day if i spend the last 15 minutes or so spinning a small gear nice and easy (i imagine it flushes some of the lactic out but i don't really know).

i was on a fairly long one yesterday so i'll go for a 30-45 minute spin today (very easy and slow) just to stop the legs getting stiff. this helps too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Well done !!!!!!!! Great feeling eh? I bet you want more!! It's addictive :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ajk24

niceonetom wrote: »
    congrats! 100k is a big milestone (kilometerstone?:confused::D) and it looks like you did it well.

the warm-up/cool-down/stretching question is a good one, and one i don't have a proper answer to. i do a bit of yoga every now and again and there are definitely some good poses in that for loosening up the legs and massaging the lower back.

hydration is a big one for me; i usually drink about 2 pints of water with a good breakfast in the hour before a long spin. i also find the legs are a bit better the next day if i spend the last 15 minutes or so spinning a small gear nice and easy (i imagine it flushes some of the lactic out but i don't really know).

i was on a fairly long one yesterday so i'll go for a 30-45 minute spin today (very easy and slow) just to stop the legs getting stiff. this helps too.

my recovery day today is a bit manic. football training from 9am to 10.30am is complete. squash game at 2 and if the sun holds down here in cork i'll head to kinsale for a swim followed by a trip home to mommy for sunday dinner.:D

by the way - the best treatment for tired legs is to jump straight into an icebath for 3 x 1 min sessions with hot shower in between. that'll wake you up in the morning.:eek:

Advertisement