Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distant friend

Options
  • 19-07-2008 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

hi everyone, just a quickie I need to knw if anyone has been in this position and what u did.

i had this friend for many many years, about 6 months ago we fell out after a good while of not a great friendship, so that was grand, we have no more cntact. it is her birthday next week and i know if she doesnt hear from me she'll be hurt. was gona txt or send a card but just dont know.

don't want her to think i actually want our friendship back but still care about her, if that makes sense!

wat d ya reckon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Sending a text is the best option in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hdunne

yeah thats what i was leaning towards but would be the 1st yr in a long time i didnt get a present or go out, ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

hdunne wrote: »
    yeah thats what i was leaning towards but would be the 1st yr in a long time i didnt get a present or go out, ah well

If you've had a bit of a falling out would she still really expect a present from you??

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,917 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'd just send her a card or a text tbh, it's not a lot of effort and she'll probably appreciate the thought. i have a couple of old friends who I never really talk to anymore but I'd always send them a card/text/bebo msg on their birthday, just to let them know I'm thinking of them more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

If you were good friends before then I'd still send a card. A text seems a bit scabby to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I would send a card over a text purely out of sentiment for the friendship you once had.

If you don't want anything to do with her, don't do anything.
    Your just sending confusing signals otherwise.

However life is too short to be falling out with friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hdunne

thanks everyone. just to clairify it wasnt so much a real falling out, just a serious of fights which ended with just leaving it, grew apart or whatever.

a txt could be a bit scabby but its the easiest, i dont want to send mixed signals, just to show i don't hate her or anything like that. so i might send a card and not txt.

thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

In a similar situation myself. Had a falling out with one of my closest friends and we text every so often but haven't seen each other in nearly a year. Miss her so much but think if we met up, we'd end up really killing each other and never speaking again which I don't want. I'd rather have her in my life as someone I hear from on birthdays, Christmas and New Year than someone I never hear from. Her birthday soon, so will send a card and arrange a present to be delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

hdunne wrote: »
    thanks everyone. just to clairify it wasnt so much a real falling out, just a serious of fights which ended with just leaving it, grew apart or whatever.

a txt could be a bit scabby but its the easiest, i dont want to send mixed signals, just to show i don't hate her or anything like that. so i might send a card and not txt.

thanks again!

Exact same thing happened to me. it was my birthday first there a few weeks ago and not even a message. I wasnt really hurt though... i did notice she didnt text but...

we only mail each other the very odd time... i'd send the text if it was me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

again i've a friend like that and she actually txt me last night to meet up. i think it's only to see her daughter. i doubt she be in touch if the child was not in the pic. we were really close years ago but had a huge fight and things not been the same. still send the odd txt for birthdays and stuff.

i woudln't be pushed if she didn't send me a birthday txt. def would not send a card.

Advertisement