Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

09 New Car from the UK

Options
  • 19-07-2008 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying a brand new Jan 09 car from the UK to save a few quid... The question is... Can I buy this car direct from the UK dealer without paying the UK registration tax and then just pay the Revenue Commissioners their VRT amount?

Has anyone done this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Not up to scratch on the full story but I am pretty sure unless you've owned it for 6 months in the UK you're going to be hit with VAT on top of the VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You can buy it ex-VAT for export. There are a couple of threads here about it. You pay VAT and VRT here.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

What are you buying?

You have to pay VAT as well as VRT as already noted, plus you'll have a less desirable car(imports are less desirable to sell on) and an mph rather than km/h speedo to deal with every day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,362 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

As far as I know, Ireland is cheaper pretax than england so it will cost more that way although with the movement in sterling it my now be close but not worth doing Id say

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brophy

As far as i am aware you will have to pay tax on irish rates if you by the car new.

There is however away around this i think (now maybe someone could shed more light on it). You do not have to pay english tax if you are buying the car new over there if you intend to export it and the way around not paying tax over here is that it must either be 6 months old or have something like 6000miles on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

E92 wrote: »
    (imports are less desirable to sell on) and an mph rather than km/h speedo to deal with every day too.

Imports are less desirable to sell on? Very generalistic considering uk imports tend to have Far better spec and tend to be in much better nick than their irish counter parts due to road conditions in the uk.
    Also new cars include both Mph and Km/h on the display......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

If you do the sums cars from UK are cheaper pretax by around 10%.

And amazingly all cars in Ireland are imports :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Done this last week for the company I work for.

Bought a new saloon car.

Deliver arrived down from NI with it. Signed for it, paid the balance of the invoice, got the keys.

Invoice didnt include UK Vat, had to sign a HMCE form 411 to say that Vat would be paid here in Ireland when I go to Register it here. This goes back to the HMCE.

DVLA reg Cert will take 10 days to arrive, which the dealer will forward on once recevied.

Reg the Car and tax it, works out about 3k cheaper than Irish Prices and plus the UK Spec is greater than the Irish equivalent so you could say that there is a greater savings considering the Irish cost of extra eg Bluetooth controls etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Imported cars (originally registered in another country) may well have superior specs.

MPH clocks however are a downer, and any tiny degree of uncertainty over the cars history will make it very difficult to move on.

HPI and FSH will help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I can see issues with people not wanting to buy this off you in a couple of years because of the MPH speedo. You might save a few grand up front, but then get extra hassle at the back end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

pureirish (ironic name for this thread) I take it you have no trade in and already have the cash or at least will be getting a loan here and paying cash over there?
    Im not sure its worth the hassle unless its some kind of super car which would mean a bigger saving. It would not be worth it for a mondeo or some standard range car.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Depending on what you are buying you may well be able to specify a KPH speedo in the build options. It's usually a zero cost option.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

macrubicon wrote: »
    Depending on what you are buying you may well be able to specify a KPH speedo in the build options. It's usually a zero cost option.

Don't think so. UK regs. dictate a mph speedo must be supplied on any new UK registered car. Kph's will be shown also on the inner side of the dial face.

Irish regs. allow for a Kph only speedo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Most UK cars have both kph and mph, if only mph then I would think twice as a future buyer might be put off. If they have both then I don't see the issue, your car will be new, so there are no question marks over its history, just keep all the paperwork to show any prospective buyer down the line. You will also be gaining a three year warranty instead of a two year (probably).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Awh here thats not a good reason why not to buy a new car in the UK - because the speedo and clock is in MPH.

Thats very silly in my opinion. By the time the car gets sold on (in this case) the depreciation difference will be minimum.

Why spend an extra couple of grand just to have a speedo that reads KPH :eek: thats crazy IMO. Go on a fecking holiday somewhere with that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Agree, but if you can order it from the start for a few quid why not ? Not saying it's a showstopper, just something to ask when you are ordering.

If it's not a runner, it's not a runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

robbie99 wrote: »
    If you do the sums cars from UK are cheaper pretax by around 10%.

And amazingly all cars in Ireland are imports :eek:

Yes, I can't remember the last time an Irish car manufacturer existed;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

A new A4 TDI 143 SE is RRP €39900. Say 2 K off for straight deal. 37,900 + €1000 delivery, €1100 metallic and €2900 for leather. Total €43K

UK spec A4 SE is about £23000 straight deal (with leather and metallic) which is €29000. VRT is €5700, VRT on leather (16% of €2900) is €464, Vrt on metallic €176. Total €35340. Taking minor irregularities in spec, difference in vat (paying irish vat and claiming back uk vat ), vrt/exchange rate movements and travel we are looking at a max of 37K for the same car.

€6000 difference :D

Advertisement