Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute Newbridge/Naas to Dublin

Options
  • 19-07-2008 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi All

I'm thinking of moving to either Naas or Newbridge and was wondering how long it would take me to commute to city centre either driving or on train? Was also thinking could drive to Red Cow and get luas!!

Just wonder how long it will take me each way on average day when kids in school.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

It used to take me about an hour too get from Naas to city centre using the Red Cow luas.
    The bus isn't a bad option from Naas either. Takes about the same lenght of time in the morning although the Luas option is quicker getting home during the evening rush hour.
    Never got the train from Sallins.
    I drove all the way to Clonskeagh this morning and only took about 50 mins when I left at 7:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I live in kilcullen so its pretty much the same distance as newbridge or naas is from dub city. I drive to donnybrook every day, it takes me about an hour. ( i leave at 6:20).

Getting home can be a pain in the ass, it takes anywhere from 1 hour - 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

I get the train every morning from newbridge, the train i get is timetabled to leave at 07.35, but normally more like 7.45 when it actually leaves, this normally has me in Heuston station for about 8.20/25, and then the luas adds another 15 - 20min, depending on crowds, and any other amount of variables!
    There is a fairly solid train service running to newbridge as it is, and naas has been seeing better treatment as of late, generally a train every half hour or so at peak times to either destination, only problem in the stations appears to be parking, with many people opting for the blatent abandonment option from what i see in newbridge:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Eyeofthetiger

Trains-
    The station for Naas is in Sallins so it's a fair bit out of the town. Not sure about parking there but I believe it is pay parking.
    Newbridge station is close enough to the town but parking there can be chaotic at best! Need to get there early enough to get a decent space (and by early I mean for a train between 6 and 7), the further into the car park you park the more likely you are to run into problems getting out with the crazy parking of other people.

Trains aren't too bad from either place more likely to get an express train in Newbridge I think.

Driving-
    You need to leave early from both so as not to run into too much traffic. It can be crazy heading into and coming back from town depending on where you are going to.

Personally I'd go for the train :)

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

I commute from Newbridge to Clonskeagh 5 days a week.
    As long as you have a flexi option you should be fine.
    Ileave Newbridge at around 06:15 and make it into Closkeagh (driving) at around 7 (+/- 5 mins). I leave at 4 pm and am back home at 17:00 (summer) or 17:30 winter time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I dont recommend driving. I live a bit outside Naas, and the occasional time I have to drive to town for work, it can take me upwards of 90mins to 2 hours from the time I hit the motorway at Naas (its a lot less during the summer months, but in winter its not pretty). Coming home is a PITA as well. If suffer it for the couple of times a month I have to do it, but it is not something I would even consider on a daily basis.

My father used to drive every day, but has gotten the bus for the last couple of years, and he said he feels so much better for it, less stressed and everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭abitlonely

I know people who drive from Naas to Maynooth for the train to Connolly / Tara St. / Pearse. There's plenty in the morning and its 40 mins to Connolly.
    The trains back at 6 & 7 take 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

You might consider Kildare Town. It's about five miles further from Dublin than Newbridge, but you can get on the motorway quicker than from the busier Newbridge so you'll probably save time. The train station also has more mainline services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

7.30am bus from Newbridge should get to city centre by 8.45am

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭davidm20

I get the 126A bus in the morning from Newbridge, its great. It at about 7:10. and is the one from Rathangan. It goes through Newbridge but turns onto the motorway at Newhall(B&Q) so bypasses Naas and everywhere else. Next stop normally Newlands X. I get off at the Red cow at about 7:50.

The other option is about 5 mins earlier and is the Dublin Coach service that goes to the airport via the red cow Luas car park, It has some great coaches but also sometimes a sh1tty mini buses. They are bright green, hard to miss and its only 5 euro single.

Going home on the bus in the evening is not so great though. Again the 126A is the better option as it again by passes Naas get me back to Newbridge about 6:30

Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 chitchat01

hi all

i am looking at buying a house in naas/ newbridge

originally i was looking at the monread area naas, but we might need to start looking at newbridge. we both work in dublin so naas was the first choice as we would save 10-15 mins drive each way.

does anyone know these areas well and give us some guidance? we have 2 kids (1 x 2 yr old and 1x 2months) nso we would creches /schools close by. also what is newbridge like for nightlife - is there often trouble there?

Advertisement