Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kayaking

• 19-07-2008 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi
    Just bought a kayak with girlfriend,and looking for places to go for some paddling.
    Today tried out my kayak on Leixlip/celbridge reservoir-great fun.
    As a begginer I'm looking for any words of advice where to go somewhere else.
    Where to go on liffey?What about boyne river?any lakes?What about sea -is it very dangerous because of tides?Any permitions needed for using rivers,lakes?
    This is double kayak,we have safety gear.
    any info appreciated

Thanks
    Peter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

Hi.

A great resource for finding rivers is irishwhitewater.com, For a beginner I'd look primarily at the liffey and the Boyne.

That said I wouldn't recommend you go out on either river on your own. always paddle with people who know the river, they will be the most important safety equipment you can have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Trim Canoe Club operate on the Boyne. They run courses, activities and trips for all levels. They usually meet on the water Tuesdays and Thursdays opposite the Swimming Pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭decdev

But you need a permit @ 25 euros from Esb fisheries board Ardnacrusha Limerick as they own lake:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

check out www.irishfreestyle.com lots of forums etc there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

The liffey for the most part is a grand river for kayaking, but some of the weirs can be tricky for a beginner. Yourself and the gf should get yourselves enrolled in a good kayaking course. I think the canoe union (http://www.canoe.ie) still have some spare places for the last of the summer courses. I done them before, great fun and you'll learn loads about how to kayak properly and not get yourself into difficulty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭candlemouse

I attended a beginners lesson in Howth recently having previously canoed 10 years before that for about 1 year on rivers and found that I still liked it. So much so that over the past 2 weeks I have aquired all the essentails and I'm now keen to get on the water to start learning and praticing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

Are there any clubs or group who go kayaking on the northside ?

Try Wild Water Kayak Club on the Strawberry beds.

Advertisement