Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't watch online GAA coverage on rte.ie via O2 mobile broadband.

Options
  • 19-07-2008 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Can't watch the GAA online coverage via rte.ie. Sound is ok but as for video, all I get is few still frames updating every few seconds. Can you watch this coverage via mobile broadband or is it suitable only for fixed line broadband?

Nothing wrong with broadband itself it seems, good 3G signal and good download speeds alot of the time. Often get over 3000 Kbps via speedtest.net.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

This sounds like a video player issue to me rather than an issue with the broadband. It might be the case that the video player is optimize it for poor connections when it actually doesn't need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Thanks for that! What settings would you need to make(if it can be done), to improve performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

If you have selected windows media player to watch it from. When playing the video right click on it and go to options try changing the settings from detect connection to something like 2mbit or if its set too low change it to higher, you might also try changing the buffer settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's mobile Internet that sometimes does Broadband speeds.

The video player speed settings are for when a server offers several qualities on the same address. Change it to 256K or ISDN and IF the server has lower bitrate streams, then it will work, perhaps at lower quality or smaller image but correct frame rate.

But if you set to 2Mbps AND the server can offer faster streams (larger images, better quality) but your connection is too slow then it will stutter and stagger.

Very often Mobile "Broadband" is not fast enough and you must pick a lower quality stream and set Player to ISDN or 256k. Of course some streams are faster.

On my Vtuner Web TV application video streams vary from 64k (terrible quality plays smooth) to 2Mbps (near TV quality, but only on fixed Broadband).

I don't know what speed the RTE one you are looking at.
    One of "play live" seems to be 48kbps on WMP, but gave me a black screen on it ans Real Player.

The "saturday night live" is 222kbps in WMP, plays perfect on my fixed BB.

On Mobile 3G/HSDPA because of how it works, you'd need a much faster connection than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Watty, using Real Player, and set it to 256K. Seems to work now, but only in a small screen. Cant really watch a hurling game, ball is to small for the video resolution to see!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Miss Gulch

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago, still frames but audio, I quit it and then clicked to watch in Windows Media and it was perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

watty wrote: »
    It's mobile Internet that sometimes does Broadband speeds.

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Watty, using Real Player, and set it to 256K. Seems to work now, but only in a small screen. Cant really watch a hurling game, ball is to small for the video resolution to see!

This is why I think Dish, TV aerial or Cable is going to be a better solution for TV. :)

Advertisement