Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ht access internal server error mayhem

Options
  • 19-07-2008 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

Hi, I wanted to password protect my website so I uploaded a .htaccess file and .htpsswd file. The host service uses Apache. However I then got a 500 page, so I searched for the .htaccess file and psswd file and deleted them and then went through the procedure again...I'm pretty much clueless about these things and don't really know how to fix it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Could be lots of different things. Common issues would be file permissions, or support for .htaccess (which can be none, partial, full). You'll have to check with the host to see what is supported in the .htaccess file, or see what the error log gives as the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Most hosts allow you to password protect folders via their control panels. You could always do it this way and then have a look at the .htaccess file it creates to see where there problem is.

Advertisement