Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk assumption

• 19-07-2008 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Need to vent a recent annoyance that has surfaced.

When asked would I like a cup of tea, I usually respond
    in the affirmative but (for the last while) I usually get milk
    thrown in without being asked. I take it black like tar.

(I haven't experienced this for coffee yet)

Anyways, rant aside, why is it assumed you'd like milk?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Hi guys,

I've never had that experience. Maybe you have the look of someone who's fond of a bit of milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Is this in a business or someones house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Is this in a business or someones house?
    It's just people assuming you take it with milk as tea with milk tends to be the norm in Ireland and UK.
    In other parts of Europe I've seen a higher of people drinking it black or with honey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭theboytaylor

Businesses are grand with it (except hospitals actually).

But mostly in someone's house.
    I think it's to do with people making two cups for themselves
    and giving you one of them, if you get me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Most people ask, surely? If not maybe say 'tea would be great, no milk for me please' when they ask.

When I'm at a friends house and they offer coffee I always say 'just a drop of milk, kinda like the colour of the tennis courts at the french open' :) Though I should really bring one of these:
    http://www.suck.uk.com/product.php?rangeID=76

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

You have no-one to blame but yourself for getting milk in your tea. in this country it's nearly a given that you'll get milk in your tea. you'll be likely to be asked for your preference of sugar, but nobody asks about milk. When asked you should point out you dont take milk and not assume everybody is a mind reader

/me finishes rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Pfft, that's nothing. I don't drink tea yet am regularly just handed a cup in people's houses. It's quite embarassing to have to hand it back. I've come to realise everyone (except me) drinks tea so there's no point fighting it. I just politely say actually I don't drink tea and people always get flustered, it makes me feel bad though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I don't really drink tea either watna but have sort of trained myself to be able to drink it,for the sake of not looking ungrateful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Punchesnpeaches

Urgh, milky tea. Yuck. I also drink it black and strong and I've noticed that when I buy it to take away from a cafe they often put milk in automatically. I usually get coffee though when I'm out and about and they always ask if you want it with milk. I got a cup recently in Heuston Station and my friend got tea, they were putting the milk in before handing it out. I wonder why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Well, I like about half a cup of milk in my tea but I do see your point, I can always add more milk but you can't take it out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Milky Tea is an abomination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

half a cup of milk in tea.

wtf....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Because most people do take milk, no real mystery. They also will tend to put it in a cup or mug, even if you prefer it in a glass. So just ask for it without milk, presume you will get it otherwise, no big deal.

There are similar threads in the beer/wine/spirits forum, where barmen automatically put ice and/or lemon in spirits. Specifically ask for it without it, simple.

Ettiquette says you never add milk to another persons tea, unless your certain you know how much they like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

I think in England people will make tea for you without asking how you take it (not even how strong you want it) but I haven't noticed it in Ireland. I take it without milk too, oat or rice milk is nice in tea but cow's milk is horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Would milk in tea and coffee add to sinus/catarrh problems ? i drink tea with semi-skilled milk but find i am often bunged up with both irratations and wondering if their is a connection with milk ? Intrested in others opinions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

latchyco wrote: »
    Would milk in tea and coffee add to sinus/catarrh problems ? i drink tea with semi-skilled milk but find i am often bunged up with both irratations and wondering if their is a connection with milk ? Intrested in others opinions

If you're lactose intolerant I don't think it makes any difference how you take your milk. In tea or straight from the cow, it's still going to wreak havoc with your sinuses. Try giving up all dairy for a while and use a non-lactose substitute in your drinks just to see if it makes any difference.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I usually respond with "yes please, no milk, no sugar thanks :)"

Even after this I sometimes get it handed to me with cow-juice in it, seldom happens though.

Because the very large majority of Irish people take milk in there tea.

Advertisement