Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolves

Options
  • 19-07-2008 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭

Would somebody know what is required to get/own a wolf, or if it is even legal at all? i heard up in the north they were breeding them and seeling them on...

Basically i want a dog that looks like a wolf, are there any other types of dogs besides huskys that fit this criteria? if there aren't can some husky owners give tips and what to look for and what they are like as a pet.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Well from the point of view of huskeys, my brother had one. Beautiful dog and had a great temperament. Lovely dogs.

Not much help to you but just my two cents worth anyway :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

what happened to it? and do all huskys have the curly tail? don't like that to much:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Wolves are wild animals, you can't just keep one as a pet, I'm sure it must be illegal.

Honestly, you seem too focused on the looks of the animal rather than getting a pet that will suit you! Most Husky owners will tell you that they need about 2 hours exercise a day and need a lot of training and attention as well as an extremely secure garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

My uncle's father in law had two half wolves, they looked exactly like wolves though, I barely remember them though, I was about 6 or 7. To cut a long story short, they had to be shot, so I wouldn't recommend it, their not exactly the type of pet that you can bring for a walk!

kerrysgold wrote: »
    Wolves are wild animals, you can't just keep one as a pet, I'm sure it must be illegal.

Honestly, you seem too focused on the looks of the animal rather than getting a pet that will suit you! Most Husky owners will tell you that they need about 2 hours exercise a day and need a lot of training and attention as well as an extremely secure garden.
    which isent really a problem if you live in the country side, any way why not focus on looks of the pet? thats a big part of it as well, thats my i would imagine not many people have pet tarantulas!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerrysgold

which isent really a problem if you live in the country side

What isn't really a problem if you live in the countryside? Keeping a wild animal, it being illegal, the need for exercise or the secure garden? :confused:

Just curious...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Cato wrote: »
    which isent really a problem if you live in the country side, any way why not focus on looks of the pet? thats a big part of it as well, thats my i would imagine not many people have pet tarantulas!:pac:

Quite naive here Cato? You think owning a wild animal like a wolf is less of a problem in the country?
    Its MORE of a problem. Wolf escapes and starts rampaging through farms? Its going to get shot and if you are chasing after it the farmer might be in his rights to shoot you for stupidity :D

Just get a German Shepherd or something.

ok so what about a husky? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

My brothers husky got led astray by another dog unfortunately. She went after sheep :eek:.

She didn't kill any but nevertheless when you live in the country theres only one outcome for a dog that demonstrates an interest in sheep.

In fairness though, thats a potential issue with any dog, not necessarily a husky. I'd have one if my garden was big enough (which it isn't).

• Registered Users Posts: 22 roybob

With any big dog your going need alot of space to keep them. My brother and I have two Siberian huskies from the same litter and they are just a great animal. We got two cause If we only got one they would have gotten lonely. They need loads of attention either by a human or other animal. Ya they will all have a curly tail, You'd love it if you see one wagging away. When we first got our two, people around us taught they were wolves and were scared but now everyone loves them. We live just outside a small town so livestock was a big issue, When they were younger they would bark alot at horses and cows but luckily we were able to stop that. We've had a few dogs and so far I must say the huskies have been the best behaved so far. There just over three years old. Also with huskies its a good way to meet people, as while we are walking them people will stop us to look at them and pet them. If you get one just be prepared to have your whole house coverd in hairs. Hope that helps somewhat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭expediateclimb

The Saarloos Wolfhound and Czechoslovakian Wolfdog are both wolf hybrids. As far as wolf hybrids go they are extremely unpredictable and from the sounds of it, not suitable for someone such as yourself who is only interested in appearance.

The Tamaskan is a wolf like dog with no recent wolf ancestry. The tamaskan dog is a good family dog and as it is not a hybrid, would be easier to take care of but would still require a lot of attention.

I'm not aware of the legality of keeping a wolf in Ireland as a pet but it should never be done whether legal or not. Wild animals can be aggresive and unpredictable and while it is not only cruel to the animal, it is also dangerous to both yourself and the general public.

roybob wrote: »
    If you get one just be prepared to have your whole house coverd in hairs. Hope that helps somewhat.
    Great post thanks for the reply, how do you deal with the fur around the house?
    The Saarloos Wolfhound and Czechoslovakian Wolfdog are both wolf hybrids. As far as wolf hybrids go they are extremely unpredictable and from the sounds of it, not suitable for someone such as yourself who is only interested in appearance.

The Tamaskan is a wolf like dog with no recent wolf ancestry. The tamaskan dog is a good family dog and as it is not a hybrid, would be easier to take care of but would still require a lot of attention.
    ahh come one now i never said it was only for appearance, but thanks for the suggestion on breeds, i goggled the Tamaskan and it looks ideal! now where would i go about find a breeder? what country are they from?

Try http://www.tamaskan-dog.co.uk/

None for adoption right now but they might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Are you trying to get one saruman?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

We had a thread recently about Tamskans (and Utonagans, and Northern Innuit :D)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055258496&highlight=tamaskan

Read through that thread, and im even more confused now! but ive learned a a few new things!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Just curious, why do you want a dog? You just appear to want a wolf or wolf-like dog, maybe if you post a bit about your lifestyle/property you can get some realistic advice about what sort of dog would suit you. i.e. how much time you are away from home each day, how much time you can devote to exercise, size/security of garden etc.
    unless you want to do mushing or something a husky isn't essential, any breed/type of dog will make a good pet. Would you consider a GSD? They are fairly wolfy looking if that's the sort of dog you like and there are also masses of them looking for new homes usually.

ive had two pets previously, dogs they were the same age and died recently last year in space of a year, of old age, ive aways wanted a wolfy looking dog, i don't want to get one now, its just research for the future when i can fully co mite to having one of these "wolf type" dogs.Also my dad mention he wanted a similar dog and used to looking after pets so, i have a few reasons.
    do you doubt me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

There are more Tarantula keepers then wolf keepers.:D And yes Wolves are illigal.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

The utonagan the northern innuit and the tamaskan are all the same type .They look like wolves .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

Northern Inuits look just like wolves and have great temperments

NorthernInuit.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

LovelyTom wrote: »
    Northern Inuits look just like wolves and have great temperments

]

True, if you want a wolf get a Northern Inuit, they look exactly like a wolf, with out the wolf temperment.

There are a few people breeding wolf hybrids, best to stay clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KhuntChops

The Tamaskans and Utonagans are both spin off breeds from the Northern Innuit.

I have met Northern Innuits ,they have a wonderful temperment and are stunning but they do need to be with another dog as they dont live well alone,if your interested genuinely I can put you in touch with a genuine breeder of Northern Innuits living in Ireland. She can tell you everything you need to no in greater detail then anyone here (no offence) including what the story is with Tamaskans and Utonagans.

Hope this is been of some help,

KC

Hey, Guys thanks for the replys and the info ive done a little research on these dogs and i would be inclined to agree with Morganna the 3 are similar, and realy the thing is the characteristics dont seem to be a huge difrerence bettween the "Breeds".

Having said this i would love to get more info KhuntChops if you could forward that on in this thread or via pm that would be great! and the Northern Inuit Breeder is located in the republic you say? would love to get contact details...

KhuntChops wrote: »
    The Tamaskans and Utonagans are both spin off breeds from the Northern Innuit.

I have met Northern Innuits ,they have a wonderful temperment and are stunning but they do need to be with another dog as they dont live well alone,if your interested genuinely I can put you in touch with a genuine breeder of Northern Innuits living in Ireland. She can tell you everything you need to no in greater detail then anyone here (no offence) including what the story is with Tamaskans and Utonagans.

Hope this is been of some help,

KC
    Two of my friends started the utonagan and another the tamaskan they first called there dogs northern innuits.They are all the same breed except the people fell out and gave their dogs different names.

Hey, Guys thanks for the replys and the info ive done a little research on these dogs and i would be inclined to agree with Morganna the 3 are similar, and realy the thing is the characteristics dont seem to be a huge difrerence bettween the "Breeds".

Having said this i would love to get more info KhuntChops if you could forward that on in this thread or via pm that would be great! and the Northern Inuit Breeder is located in the republic you say? would love to get contact details...
    Hi Cato i have had dealings with the breed since the mid 90s they are all the same except the people had differences of opinions and changed the breed from innuit to utonagans then another friend started the tamaskan ,They are all the same type there are some nice ones and some rubbish ,but basically they are xbreeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes its legal to own wolves - tigers & bears etc. If they are under cites you need to ensure they are registered & have the paper work needed.

I am not advocating wolf, tiger or bear ownership!

I own tarantulas! snakes, lizards, birdies, skunks etc etc etc etc.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Yes its legal to own wolves - tigers & bears etc..

In what country? Not Ireland anyway, not even Norther Ireland/UK any more as far as i know but certainly not Ireland. You can not have a pet Tiger or any other big exotic cat, we along with a bunch of other countries and certain US states banned them years ago.
    You might be talking about Zoo owners or circus operators but im not sure how that is relevant to this thread :D

I could be wrong but im pretty certain its not legal here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I know off a guy in Mountrath that keeps a Timberwolf, great pet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I know off a guy in Mountrath that keeps a Timberwolf, great pet.

I seriously doubt that. It's either not a timberwolf or not a great pet ...but it can't be both.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement