Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolves

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Amimad

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Seamus357

There's a fella down in Inch, Co. Wexford that regularly sells wolf pups.

I think a Czechoslovakian Wolfdog would be a better buy though as they are mostly dog (70% to 75% dog and 25% to 30% carpatian wolf), they would be easier to control. They are really beautiful dogs too.

Seamus

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

The russian army many years ago had a wolf working with them .A soldier rescued it as a cub and it was patrolling fences with his handler .The other soldiers gad gsds he had the wolf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 peadarose

KhuntChops wrote: »
    The Tamaskans and Utonagans are both spin off breeds from the Northern Innuit.

I have met Northern Innuits ,they have a wonderful temperment and are stunning but they do need to be with another dog as they dont live well alone,if your interested genuinely I can put you in touch with a genuine breeder of Northern Innuits living in Ireland. She can tell you everything you need to no in greater detail then anyone here (no offence) including what the story is with Tamaskans and Utonagans.

Hope this is been of some help,

KC

Hi there,
    Could you possibly send me contact details for the 'Northern Innuit' breeder in Ireland please. I've been interested in getting a Utonagan for a while and would like to compare to the 'Northern Innuit'. I'm definitely getting one or the other. Also any other advice would be very much apprecfiated.
    Regards,
    Peadar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 moonzmum

Hi, would just like to point out that neither the czech wolf dog or the saarloos are wolf hybrid, they are both breeds of DOG, a hybrid is a first cross between a wolf and a dog. Also the Northern Inuit dog is the fore runner to the Utonagan, Tamaskan and british Inuit and has been closely bred like to like for over 20 years whereas the other 'breeds have been outcrossed to breeds such as the collie and akita. I have had NI for over 10 years and have been breeding for 7, I only have 1 litter per year if that, and can honestly say that they arent a breed for everyone, they can suffer from extreme seperation anxiety and do lots of damage if left alone for long periods, they hate to be alone and are extremely social animals, they are stubborn and wilful and will try to get the upper hand if allowed, they are very boisterous at play and some have very high prey drive so definately not a dog for the novice owner. They moult heavily twice a year, like to dig and ruin gardens, sounds bad eh, but the only breed for me lol, they are loving and loyal to their family, they can be aloof with strangers and dont make good guard dogs although mine will bark at strangers. There are always people out there who think they know the ins and outs of my breed, I would suggest they go to the breed club website to get as much info as possible. Although beautiful and very wolf like, the czech and saarloos are not proven to have the best of temperaments and I know of several that have proved to be escape artists. Definately read up as much info as possible before thinking about any 'wolf look a like', they arent all in sheeps clothing lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Saruman wrote: »
    In what country? Not Ireland anyway, not even Norther Ireland/UK any more as far as i know but certainly not Ireland. You can not have a pet Tiger or any other big exotic cat, we along with a bunch of other countries and certain US states banned them years ago.
    You might be talking about Zoo owners or circus operators but im not sure how that is relevant to this thread :D

I could be wrong but im pretty certain its not legal here.
    your wrong. in the south of ireland there is no DWA. you can keep any animal you wish, dogs are the only animals that require a license.

a small jack russel requires a license, a huge grizzly bear or tiger needs no permission/ license from any1

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

montys right!in the republic of ireland anyone can keep exotics without a licence, you need one up north as far as i know but not here!as he said you need a licence for a dog but not for a tiger...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I keep a variety of exotics - I did briefly contemplate a Liger (tiger/lion cross breed) How ever I do not have the space or the cash for one - but give me an acre or 10 & €50k & I may reconsider larger exotics (when I open my mini zoo anyway!) However these animals are not for muppets! & lots of muppets want to buy my baby monkey & Jack is so not for sale!

However as stated anyone (sadly) can own any wild creature without a licence!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Think how much nicer you would feel by rescuing one of the 17000 dogs that will be killed this year.

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    Think how much nicer you would feel by rescuing one of the 17000 dogs that will be killed this year.

Was that comment aimed at me?? Cause the 9 blooming dogs I have are more than enough - 8 of those were taken from rescues or were dumped on me. Only Holly my westie was bought for me! I also rescue cats, take in small animals & exotics too - I help do K99 runs if I can & collect for my local rescue - I also catch & neuter as many cats as I can - in fact I found cat number 15 in the road outside my place today - I suspect she is heavily pregnant - she will have her kittens - then she will be spayed & she will stay here with me.

Regardless of how many exotics I get - I will always help out with domestic animals - but sadly I do not have room for the 17000 dogs that will be PTS this year.

Well I would of thought that it was obviously aimed at the original poster who wants a Wolf !!!!!!

Perhaps Moneypenny has got you all tired & irritable - you need a Martini !.

I just find it sad that people will choose a pedigree dog & pay a fortune when 1000s of wonderful dogs are literally dying for a home.

cos!! wrote: »
    montys right!in the republic of ireland anyone can keep exotics without a licence, you need one up north as far as i know but not here!as he said you need a licence for a dog but not for a tiger...
    its a ridiculos situation. there is talk of dwa coming in here but that wont be for a few years yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

It might not be Irish law but Ireland has signed up to a clutter of international treaties and agreements that prohibit the possession of and the trade in certain protected animals and products derived from those animals ( think about tiger bones or rhino horn in certain oriental medicines ) and to the best of my knowledge the European wolf is one of those animals. One of the only exceptions I'm aware of is animals bred in captivity ( certain breeds of parrot and turtles would be an example, also raptors reared for falconry from captive parents would fall under this condition ).

There is nothing in domestic law to enforce any of those provisions. The government need to enact the appropriate legislation to give these prohibitions the force of law.

It might not be Irish law but Ireland has signed up to a clutter of international treaties and agreements that prohibit the possession of and the trade in certain protected animals and products derived from those animals ( think about tiger bones or rhino horn in certain oriental medicines ) and to the best of my knowledge the European wolf is one of those animals. One of the only exceptions I'm aware of is animals bred in captivity ( certain breeds of parrot and turtles would be an example, also raptors reared for falconry from captive parents would fall under this condition ).

what you thinking off mate is "cities" papers. its forbibs the trade in certain endangered wild animals world wide but if they are captive bred and have the correct "cities" papers then its not a problem.
    http://www.cites.org/eng/disc/how.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

moonzmum wrote: »
    Hi, would just like to point out that neither the czech wolf dog or the saarloos are wolf hybrid, they are both breeds of DOG, a hybrid is a first cross between a wolf and a dog. Also the Northern Inuit dog is the fore runner to the Utonagan, Tamaskan and british Inuit and has been closely bred like to like for over 20 years whereas the other 'breeds have been outcrossed to breeds such as the collie and akita. I have had NI for over 10 years and have been breeding for 7, I only have 1 litter per year if that, and can honestly say that they arent a breed for everyone, they can suffer from extreme seperation anxiety and do lots of damage if left alone for long periods, they hate to be alone and are extremely social animals, they are stubborn and wilful and will try to get the upper hand if allowed, they are very boisterous at play and some have very high prey drive so definately not a dog for the novice owner. They moult heavily twice a year, like to dig and ruin gardens, sounds bad eh, but the only breed for me lol, they are loving and loyal to their family, they can be aloof with strangers and dont make good guard dogs although mine will bark at strangers. There are always people out there who think they know the ins and outs of my breed, I would suggest they go to the breed club website to get as much info as possible. Although beautiful and very wolf like, the czech and saarloos are not proven to have the best of temperaments and I know of several that have proved to be escape artists. Definately read up as much info as possible before thinking about any 'wolf look a like', they arent all in sheeps clothing lol.
    good information there i suggest you all read it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 nanuq

yes it is legal im buying a timber wolf puppy in 3 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 byrneos

really or are you just paying over the odds for a wolf lookalike.
    either way i hope you don't get it!

maybe you missed this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...ight=chieftain

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

nanuq wrote: »
    yes it is legal im buying a timber wolf puppy in 3 weeks
    If you know you are buying one in 3 weeks then why did you start a thread last night asking if people here know any breeders???

• Advertisement

because i have only come across one breeder of which are not "huskie" mixes and wondered if they were more im not ignorant to the care etc about them and what is involved i lived in the states for a year and worked with them. I love them there brains are 35% bigger than a dogs brain thus they are very clever and i found easy to train and very loyal loving animals. Im not the type to buy an animal for image.

and no i dident miss that post about cheiften i think that is really sad to be honest. Its like people that buy pitbulls for a Bad Boy image its not fair on the animal. But im not getting an animal to hand it back in a feew years because the novelty wore off or its to much work im aware of what is needed and involved

because i have only come across one breeder of which are not "huskie" mixes and wondered if they were more im not ignorant to the care etc about them and what is involved i lived in the states for a year and worked with them. I love them there brains are 35% bigger than a dogs brain thus they are very clever and i found easy to train and very loyal loving animals. Im not the type to buy an animal for image.

You have worked with them, trained them but in the Timber Wolf thread you ask if anyone knows anything about them !. I suggest that folk read your previous posts !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

I love them there brains are 35% bigger than a dogs brain thus they are very clever and i found easy to train and very loyal loving animals.

Can I just say that this is debatable.
    While there are studies linking the size of the overall brain to intelligence, there are also studies that emphasise brain function as a more reliable indicator of intelligence.
    It could be that a wolf has a bigger brain than a dog simply because a wolf is larger and requires greater neural function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 byrneos

But im not getting an animal to hand it back in a feew years because the novelty wore off or its to much work im aware of what is needed and involved
    a few questions
    just wondering how you are going to enable the wolf to carry out its instinct for hunting? where are you going to keep the wolf?what are the dimensions of the incloseure?
    just how are you going to stimilate its large brain you speak of?
    what makes you think keeping a wild (even if breed in captivity its still at heart a wild animal) is a good idea?

yea im aware of what i wrote i dont need to be quoted would you not want as much info as you could get?! People that think they know it all usually dont know much at all from my experiance. Now i was looking for information not a row

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

I think you need to calm down a bit & really read what people are saying here.

I also think you need to go back to your breeder & thoroughly check what you actually getting as there are no really, honestly, truely, pure breed wolves in this country.

okey everyone is entitled to there opinions thats fine but im not really intrested when its just people being bitchy and rude. So il just leave it at that and Im not explaining myself because basically i dont need to. You all seem very quick to judge when you dont even know me . Thanks

i was calm and i am well able to research myself the breeder is a very reputibe man he wanted reff`s and to see where i would be keeping him etc. I have a family im not one to take risks i was only asking if anyone knew anything positive and got bombarded with questions!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

yea im aware of what i wrote i dont need to be quoted would you not want as much info as you could get?!

Yes, you're absolutely right, I would want as much information as I could get, but I would want it before I ordered a pup from a breeder, then I could make an informed decision as to whether I could give that animal the home it deserves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement