Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So i give the guy a $100 billion dollars...

• 20-07-2008 12:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32

And all i got was a lousy loaf of bread.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7515823.stm

Never mind the recession here, Zimbabwe has to be one terrible place to live right now, 2,200,000% inflation :eek:

Back to the barter system i guess...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Fantasic country.

Like you said..what recession?

I was supposed to have been there on work about 12 weeks ago [before the trouble really kicked off] but got sent to Iran instead. lucky me?

Still like to go tho; life experiences and all that yack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

i barter two bic red pens for ya'r ma!!

/ah i cant believe i just stooped that low.....walks away ashamed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It's heading towards The Simpsons Trillion dollar bill all over again. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

That Mugabe is a disgrace, He has destroyed that country with his racist system, he has racially selected the worst workers for the job. Arguing about Africa is always difficult, as it was once a pure unpolluted and free world. Europe had to have a peice of it and this brought problems such as disease and misplaced technologies. That does not give Mugabe the right to act the way he does.

What technology Zimbabwe has in the form of cities and infrastructure should be used properly. The vast countyside doesn't have to be spoilt, the farms dont have to be run amok. It's not as if Mugabe doesn't take advantage of the modern infrastructure in Zimbabwe for himself. You could build a stable enough economy. It doesnt have to compete with New york or japan. He obviously can't even do that.

The city farms should be managed properly and the vast counrtyside left unspoilt and the ecological system protected. They could support this by tourism, tribes can live there if they are not already, but you can't hide the fact that europe left it's mark and a mark that is repeated throughout the world. Many young people of Zimbabwe are not born into tribes are part of a modern world. Mugabe has to let these people manages it's city and it small economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

pirelli wrote: »
    Europe had to have a peice of it and this brought problems such as disease and misplaced technologies.

but you can't hide the fact that europe left it's mark and a mark that is repeated throughout the world.

Cry me a freaking river. If the Africans had the technology they would have taken Europe first and they would have brought technology and disease too.
    They didn't. They were primitive and thats why they were taken captive. I mean Africans used slaves. Africans fought for new land. Europeans did nothing wrong back then.

Its only wrong today because our moral stance has changed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Its only wrong today because our moral stance has changed.
    No, its wrong today because it was really, really stupid. Unlike the Roman Empire, which focused largely on Romanisation of its conquered peoples, turning them into Romans, the British and other Empires of the time took the idiot stance of turning the populations against themselves, awarding positions of political power to minorities who they felt represented wealth, and redrawing the maps so they completely ignored the historical territories of the tribes there.

Well, they succeeded in making Africa basically one huge ongoing civil war. Its the same policy which has directly lead to the mess we have in Iraq today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

2,200,000% inflation, possibly higher - That is absolutely mad. Sounds like a work of fiction. It's unbelievable that things have actually got that bad.

And to think that Zimbabwe was once one of Africa's wealthiest countries. It's sad :(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

"Nowadays, for my expenses a day, I need about Z$500 billion," one resident said.

Me too!

Advertisement