Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubisoft caught pirating the pirates

Options
  • 20-07-2008 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Just catching wind of this now, don't know if anyone else has already heard about it.

Basically Ubisoft released a patch to fix some direct to drive issues with Rainbow Six: Vegas 2, but it was found that this patch was actually just a rebranded "Reloaded" no-cd crack.

Whats so hilarious about this is that by posting links to their official patch they where going against their own TOS by posting links to a crack.

My handle on it is that some lazy programmer over at Ubi, instead of fixing the problem just got this no-cd crack, rebranded it (badly) then released. Someones head is going to roll for this SNAFU

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1991064316/m/1381029176/p/1

r6vegas2.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Saw that tonight as well;

lulz.

glad i got it for 360 now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Yep, read that during the week. Slightly hypocritical.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

we should do to them what we did to creative!

... wait..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Ooooh, that's embarrassing. then again Ubisoft get a free pass on anything from me until Far Cry 2 comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Wait, so they released a patch that was essentially a no-cd crack? Why?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They are nice? Warcraft II did it finally, was so happy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you bastard... now I want a game of warcraft II

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

wow epic fail, someones gonna lose their job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

what game was it where the dev actually encouraged the use of a no cd/dvd crack?

It was a while back; I may be badly mistaken tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

You'd be surprised by how common such plagarism is in the big bad world of commercial software, I've seen it loads of times, and I've yet to see someone lose a job over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I do not understand this topic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

you bastard... now I want a game of warcraft II

Ah some game, made some great maps in it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Zillah wrote: »
    Wait, so they released a patch that was essentially a no-cd crack? Why?

The NO CD Crack removed the Safedisk copy protection, like most copy protections, they tend to screw up games so this no cd patch obviously fixed many issiues as it had the copy protection stripped :)

Nick

i don't know much about games but why couldn't he jsut remove the bit easily without copying it?
    just comment out that shizzle!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

What happened was that Ubi latest patch for R6 added the copy protection back onto the game for people who had bought the game and legally downloaded it. People complained and this was put up as a fix. But I doubt this was a devs work, they would have access to the already clean exe for the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Ah I doubt heads will roll - there'll probably be a few lulz in the office though. :P

Advertisement