Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The best thing about being from Dublin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Abigayle wrote: »
    Did you miss the "cant see" bit, or what?

Oh I didnt know a reprimand for misreading could get me so turned on. Grrr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Anyway. I'm glad we all agree that Dublin is the best place to be for anyone who likes basic comforts such as running water, electricity, nightclubs with strangers, etc.

I'm unsubscribing from this thread now. I think its probably time to let this one go. Thanks for all the laughs.

I'm gonna go walk my dog. Might go to the ATM machine, or pick something up in the 24 hour. Ahhhh, good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Dudess wrote: »
    Kold, are you a Londoner?

Yup. Only living in Cork 8 years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

turgon wrote: »
    I didnt know a reprimand for misreading could get me so turned on. Grrr.

I do love a submissive man. Grr back at ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

womoma wrote: »
    I'm gonna go walk my dog. Might go to the ATM machine, or pick something up in the 24 hour. Ahhhh, good times.

Yeah, services available in all medium size towns in Ireland really are great. :rolleyes:

Don't come back now, y'hear?

:rolleyes: ouch dude that hurt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Kold wrote: »
    Yup. Only living in Cork 8 years now.
    So your family moved from London to Cork I presume? Wo... that must have been some culture shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 drug dealer

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Yeah, services available in all medium size towns in Ireland really are great.

WHAT? You mean the culchies have ATMs now? We have to stop giving you so much money. next you'll have running water, then what comes next? a vote? Over my dead body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 drug dealer

Wo... that must have been some culture shock.

You forgot to say "like" at the end there. You must have ventured out of Cork for long periods in your life.

LMAO!

Thats so funny like. Totally class like. Savage like. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

LMAO!

Thats so funny like. Totally class like. Savage like. :p

Ya, you know what I mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭madser

Being in the capital, best clubs, best restaurants, best shops, best everything basically:P

So your family moved from London to Cork I presume? Wo... that must have been some culture shock.

Yeah, it really was. Actually, I couldn't wait to get out of this place when I was younger. Now, I quite like that most of my mates will be around the same 2 or 3 mile radius when going on the pish. It's also pretty nice knowing that whenever I'm bored, I'll probably bump into someone I know somewhere (I get around ^_^). I do get pretty stir crazy sometimes though. I'm not too interested in shopping but Cork could afford some competition. It pretty much caters for all I need these days. Music scene is fairly handy for it's size.

I'll probably move somewhere else in a few years for my career's sake but Cork is a pretty cool place to be a student. It is pretty hilarious that a Dub is boasting about metropolitan life. I head up there for gigs and I have mates up there but in all honesty, Dublin is to London what Sligo is to Dublin.

biko wrote: »

Why do cluchies think that Dubs are offended by being called Jackeens, reality check calling us Jackeens doesn't bother us:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Getting called a langer doesn't offend me either. And when people say "Are you from Cork biiiiiiy? Ya langer!" for the millionth time it starts to grate...
    Kold wrote: »
    Yeah, it really was. Actually, I couldn't wait to get out of this place when I was younger. Now, I quite like that most of my mates will be around the same 2 or 3 mile radius when going on the pish. It's also pretty nice knowing that whenever I'm bored, I'll probably bump into someone I know somewhere (I get around ^_^). I do get pretty stir crazy sometimes though. I'm not too interested in shopping but Cork could afford some competition. It pretty much caters for all I need these days. Music scene is fairly handy for it's size.
    What part of Cork did you grow up in?
    I'll probably move somewhere else in a few years for my career's sake but Cork is a pretty cool place to be a student. It is pretty hilarious that a Dub is boasting about metropolitan life. I head up there for gigs and I have mates up there but in all honesty, Dublin is to London what Sligo is to Dublin.
    Yeah, Dublin city centre doesn't feel that much bigger than Cork city centre - I know it is, but it's still very compact and easy to navigate. What makes up most of Dublin's area is hideous suburban sprawl - the city centre is tiny in the grand scale of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

What I love about Dublin:
    • The Northside vs Southside banter. Can't get that anywhere else in Ireland.
    • It's the hub of Ireland. People come here from everywhere around Ireland for college, work, shopping etc. so the argument that "Galway people are more fun" for instance... fair enough, but Dublin had plenty of Galweigans too.
    • Adrian Kennedy

No junkies in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Why oh why do people keep saying Adrian Kennedy? I can't stand that show and the idiots who ring in.

Typical conversation on one of the regular topics: joyriding.

Sensible guy who should know better: Ok hypothetical situation, let's say your son was out robbing cars and....
    Moron woman: My son doesn't rob cars.
    Guy: Yeah but let's imagine that...
    Moron woman: My son doesn't rob cars.
    Guy: Do I have to spell it out for you? H. Y. P. O. T....
    Moron woman: M. Y. S. O. N. D. U. S. N. T.......

Rinse lather repeat.

Besides you can get perfectly good FM104 reception well beyond the pale so it doesn't count as a good reason to be from Dublin.

Bishopstown more or less but I spent a vast amount of my youth in Cork City. Living out in Bishopstown at the moment now.

True about the sprawl thing. I was asking my brother when I was staying up with him what the equivalent of Camden would be, he laughed. Dublin prices are the real thing though. So are Cork's to be fair.

• Advertisement

You forgot to say "like" at the end there. You must have ventured out of Cork for long periods in your life.
    Indeed - Dublin for two years. I missed Cork a lot after a while though. But I'll admit I loved Dublin too... Ah Cork people, so much more gracious than Dubs most... ;) :pac:

No junkies in Cork.

Yeah right:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I presum you tounge is firmly placed in your cheek:P

People always say that, to which I'd respond: if there are heroin addicts in Cork, wouldn't we see them? I mean, it's not like it's top of junkies' priority list to keep it hidden. If there was a significant heroin problem in Cork, wouldn't we know about it? There isn't a heroin problem just because "it would be naive to think there isn't", there's no heroin problem in Cork because... there's no heroin problem in Cork.

Out of all the people I know involved in drugs, which is a fair bit I suppose, I know of only one heroin addict. It's not really readily available down here afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T54TU8bsj8

much lolz.

As for Cork being 'junkie free', based on a few trips to Turners Cross- I can confirm that is indeed rubbish.

People always say that, to which I'd respond: if there are heroin addicts in Cork, wouldn't we see them? I mean, it's not like it's top of junkies' priority list to keep it hidden. If there was a significant heroin problem in Cork, wouldn't we know about it? There isn't a heroin problem just because "it would be naive to think there isn't", there's no heroin problem in Cork because... there's no heroin problem in Cork.

Thats rubbish there is registered heroin users in cork using methadone programs, I live in Dublin and I don't see junkies every day of the week, there may not be as many an Dublin but there isn't half or even a third of the amount of people in Cork that are in Dublin, so your theory is if I don't see any then there isn't any, theres over 1million people in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I wouldn't say it's junkie free but the largest seizure they ever made down there was something like 1 or 2 kilos. So either Cork Gardai are inept or there's not that much heroin to seize down there.

You do have to put up with all that People's Republic of Cork shíte though so it's a trade-off.

PrivateEye wrote: »
    As for Cork being 'junkie free', based on a few trips to Turners Cross- I can confirm that is indeed rubbish.
    Why Turners Cross? I actually lived there for a short while recently.
    madser wrote: »
    Thats rubbish there is registered heroin users in cork using methadone programs, I live in Dublin and I don't see junkies every day of the week, there may not be as many an Dublin but there isn't half or even a third of the amount of people in Cork that are in Dublin, so your theory is if I don't see any then there isn't any, theres over 1million people in Dublin.
    I've lived here for most of my life - I think I'd have got some sort of inkling if there was a heroin problem. There's never a hint of a mention in the local papers and on local radio (which often have a direct line to the murkier things going on in a locality - I worked in both the Evening Echo and RedFM. Never a mention). There are never any junkies round the place - when I lived in Dublin I'd see several a day in the city centre - moreso the north inner city than the south inner city. I really think people just say "oh you're a fool if you think there's no heroin in Cork" just for the sake of it - because it's an urban area, so it must have a heroin problem. It doesn't.

Worst thing about being from Dublin:

The Irish double-standard -

People from outside Dublin come to work/live/study/holiday/gig in Dublin and nobody batts an eyelid.
    A Dubliner leaves Dublin for any reason and is ridiculed, bullied or harassed for being a Dub.

Pretty pathetic. But that is the trade off for being from a superb capital city.

Why Turners Cross? I actually lived there for a short while recently.

I've lived here for most of my life - I think I'd have got some sort of inkling if there was a heroin problem. There's never a hint of a mention in the local papers and on local radio (which often have a direct line to the murkier things going on in a locality - I worked in both the Evening Echo and RedFM. Never a mention). There are never any junkies round the place - when I lived in Dublin I'd see several a day in the city centre - moreso the north inner city than the south inner city. I really think people just say "oh you're a fool if you think there's no heroin in Cork" just for the sake of it - because it's an urban area, so it must have a heroin problem. It doesn't.

So you haven't seen any so there mustn't be any, yeah great logic girl:rolleyes:

People from outside Dublin come to work/live/study/holiday/gig in Dublin and nobody batts an eyelid.
    A Dubliner leaves Dublin for any reason and is ridiculed, bullied or harassed for being a Dub.

Pretty pathetic. But that is the trade off for being from a superb capital city.

At least were not in denial about having a drug problem;)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

By the way, how do we tell if they're junkies? Short of having syringes and stuff sticking out of their eyeballs I'm not sure we can say for certain!

Most junkies just look like scumbags. Cork has ****loads of scumbags.

Ah you can spot a junkie - out of it, speech slurred and slowed down.
    So you haven't seen any so there mustn't be any, yeah great logic girl:rolleyes:
    Well yeah. Is the heroin problem in Dublin hidden or something? It's one of the most blatant things there is. Oh and there are zero methadone clinics here too. I mean, it's not like I'm in denial because I'd be so ashamed or somesuch shyte like that - it's simply that there isn't a heroin problem here!

I'd love the proof that there's a heroin problem here, I really would. What's this Turners Cross thing about again?

Wow, that rolleyes symbol - and specifically the overuse of it - makes people come across as really obnoxious and ignorant...

Anyhoo, I remember that Examiner article - two and a half years ago - and has there been a peep in that department since? Nope. And even the quotes in the paper "he believes that...", "anecdotal evidence" and "it was claimed". I'm not dreaming at all - that implies that I'm really proud of my city and firmly believe there'd never be drugs here etc. Horse-manure - I'm not remotely like that. But I live here, you don't, and there's never been the slightest indicator of a heroin problem. Sure, one-off cases maybe, but a significant problem - there just isn't one.

Edit: I've just read that Irish Times article - hmmm... fair enough.

PrivateEye, I'd love to know more about that Turners Cross thing... Bizarre thing to say - if you view Turners Cross as Cork's answer to Benburb Street or whatever, you're well mistaken. Are you saying you saw concrete evidence there of heroin use?

Wow, that rolleyes symbol - and specifically the overuse of it - makes people come across as really obnoxious and ignorant...

Anyhoo, I remember that Examiner article - two and a half years ago - and has there been a peep in that department since? Nope. And even the quotes in the paper "he believes that...", "anecdotal evidence" and "it was claimed". I'm not dreaming at all - that implies that I'm really proud of my city and firmly believe there'd never be drugs here etc. Horse-manure - I'm not remotely like that. But I live here, you don't, and there's never been the slightest indicator of a heroin problem. Sure, one-off cases maybe, but a significant problem - there just isn't one.

The irish times artical is dated 2008 thats this year by the way, so the consultant who treated the heroin overdoses is a liar and the paper is making up all this bad stuff to make Cork look bad, Im sick of your trolling now so I'll bid you good night oh and let me know how the biggest drug haul in history trial is getting on won't you :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nite nite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Beating Wexford today:D:D:D

The irish times artical is dated 2008 thats this year by the way, so the consultant who treated the heroin overdoses is a liar and the paper is making up all this bad stuff to make Cork look bad, Im sick of your trolling now so I'll bid you good night oh and let me know how the biggest drug haul in history trial is getting on won't you :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nite nite

How on earth can the mod troll, thats just ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

AMAZING FRANCHISE OPPORTUNITY

Don't miss out on the opportunity of a lifetime. Tired of the same old 9-5 drudge? Fed up of your boss always on your back? Why not become your own boss by becoming part of AntoCorp? There are limited franchise opportunities for salesmen in completely untapped markets such as Cork.

CALL NOW! Anto 087 <snip>

...You're going to have a heroin problem soon enough if any dealers are reading your posts Dudess. :D

The irish times artical is dated 2008 thats this year by the way
    Yeah you added it later and I acknowledged it.
    so the consultant who treated the heroin overdoses is a liar and the paper is making up all this bad stuff to make Cork look bad
    I couldn't give a fuk how Cork would be made to look - I'm not one of those "local pride" eejits at all.
    Im sick of your trolling now
    Trolling? Where?
    oh and let me know how the biggest drug haul in history trial is getting on won't you
    What are you on about? Was the biggest drug haul in history discovered in Cork and comprised of heroin?
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Sad that someone has to take something like this so personally and resort to spitefulness - really is...

How on earth can the mod troll, thats just ridiculous.

I know but read the posts

• Advertisement

You can accuse me of trolling when you've proof I'm trolling thank you.

Yeah you added it later and I acknowledged it.

I couldn't give a fuk how Cork would be made to look - I'm not one of those "local pride" eejits at all.

Trolling? Where?

What are you on about? Was the biggest drug haul in history discovered in Cork and comprised of heroin?

Sad that someone has to take something like this so personally and resort to spitefulness - really is...

No you didn't acknowledge the second artical and yes the biggest heroin trial in history is going on in Cork at the moment, and the :rolleyes: smillie is there for a reason.

Trolling where read your posts for the answer.;)

I know but read the posts

I have, she has'nt (assuming Dudess is a female).

I think you'll find I did acknowledge the second article and edited it into my post - see underndeath:
    Last edited by Dudess; Today at 00:23

No need to overuse the :rolleyes: symbol either though. You'd come across as a far more respectable debater without have to resort to it.

At this stage madser, YOU are the one who is trolling.

You can accuse me of trolling when you've proof I'm trolling thank you.

Your completly off topic, your posts are not construtive, ie theres no drugs in Cork and thats that attitude, using abusive language telling me you dont give a 'fuk', is that enough evidence, now I really am tired proving my point over and over again, I supose you Corkonians need a bit longer than us Jackeens:P

Give it a rest. You're from Dublin, you're really happy about that, you're small minded and trying to incite an argument. We get it.

As for a heroin problem. Cork does not have one. A few users about the place does not represent a problem. Lots of weed, lots of coke and pills and MDMA but heroin is not really available, which will probably change seeing as education in this country is going to the dogs.

Your completly off topic, your posts are not construtive, ie theres no drugs in Cork and thats that attitude
    Yeah sure, I said "there's no drugs in Cork" - 'course I did. Off topic - how? Stop trolling.
    I'm basing it on the lack of evidence (i.e. zero) of heroin in the place in which I live. Do you live here?
    using abusive language telling me you dont give a 'fuk', is that enough evidence
    Of trolling? No it isn't. And most people swear here and the language was not used to abuse anyone.
    now I really am tired proving my point over and over again, I supose you Corkonians need a bit longer than us Jackeens:P
    Stop trolling.

PrivateEye, I'd love to know more about that Turners Cross thing... Bizarre thing to say - if you view Turners Cross as Cork's answer to Benburb Street or whatever, you're well mistaken. Are you saying you saw concrete evidence there of heroin use?

Ok just read your edit, sorry and goodnight:rolleyes::p:D:)

I have, she has'nt (assuming Dudess is a female).

Careful about labelling people female in here. Some people thought I was female in here last night and I ended up getting hit on by guys, and harassed by a female.

Anyway...
    Give it a rest. You're from Dublin, you're really happy about that,
    Yep
    you're small minded and trying to incite an argument.
    Nope. Just having some fun.
    We get it.
    Obviously you don't son.

• Advertisement

Yeah sure, I said "there's no drugs in Cork" - 'course I did. Off topic - how? Stop trolling.
    I'm basing it on the lack of evidence (i.e. zero) of heroin in the place in which I live. Do you live here?

Of trolling? No it isn't. And most people swear here and the language was not used to abuse anyone.

Stop trolling.

I gave you evidence and you acknowleged it now your the one trolling, your getting boring now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement