Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Caps.

Options
  • 20-07-2008 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I have a 2mb dsl line with IBB since 5/07. I saw just now that there dsl is now capped since Imagine bought them. I looked through my online invoices and i dont *think* they charged me anything for going over the cap, so me thinks I still have my Unlimited status.

Also, They didnt send me any emails about a new cap or anything like that.

Any other IBB customers know anything about this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 wildwest

For products that have no download/upload limits attaching to them then, measured in gigabytes (GB), we would consider acceptable traffic usage to be no more than approximately 25 times your download speed (as measured in Mbps) per calendar month.

I came across this from their terms of agrement so I guess it covers all old coustmers from Irish Broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

would the customers already with them stay the same since they signed up for unlimited usage.

ibb will loose lots of there customers due to this cap.
    and there isnt a add-on for a bigger cap.

i hate imagine why did they buy ibb :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

I am not happy about this change, I only signed up with IBB dsl recently before there was a cap stated on there website

I would probely go else where next time because of this :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 wildwest

Dosent that mean 50 GB for 2MB coustmers going to 60GB if we get upgraded to 3MB by eircom sometime .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Eventually everyone will have two tiers of packages, Capped for "ordinary users" and Pay as you eat or pre-pay by data used for heavy users (10% to 15% of users only would need more than the cap so Imagine is not going to worry about this) to have as much Gigabyte as they like...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

watty wrote: »
    Eventually everyone will have two tiers of packages, Capped for "ordinary users" and Pay as you eat or pre-pay by data used for heavy users (10% to 15% of users only would need more than the cap so Imagine is not going to worry about this) to have as much Gigabyte as they like...

Well this is an interesting cristal ball, I tend to disagree with you.

In the next couple of years, the High Def resolution will explode and granny's and internet nono's will learn how to download music, movies and any content for that matter.

ISP's that charge a lot for a couple of Megs like Digiweb are likely to lose customers unless all ISP's suddenly start charging a lot for going over a cap. Thank god it looks like there is enough competition even if 20Mb by UPC is only available in bigger cities/towns.

Your scenario might still happen though because tier 1 wants to have more money as well and someone has to put down some pipes.

Mind you, I don't have big problems with the 'use more, pay more' adagium, but it seems the limits are too low at the moment.
    I think/hope? that there is enough competition that ISP's are forced to provide reasonable rates for extra Megabytes.

Judging Digiweb specific (your boss), it seems that Digiweb is moving to the low end of the market as almost any other provider allows more data at similar speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Wcool wrote: »
    ISP's that charge a lot for a couple of Megs like Digiweb are likely to lose customers unless all ISP's suddenly start charging a lot for going over a cap. Thank god it looks like there is enough competition even if 20Mb by UPC is only available in bigger cities/towns.

You say this, but some UPC areas are absolutely destroyed by contention, lower caps are the last thing that some UPC customers need :) Then again, in my area there wasn't a hint of contention on UPC when I had it.

no sign of a usage monitor on there site.

and how come the caps are only on there dsl products

and wouldn't they have to tell there existing customers about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

Why does anyone have DSL with IBB anyway? The last time i checked they were roughly the same price as eircom anyway.

admol wrote: »
    Why does anyone have DSL with IBB anyway? The last time i checked they were roughly the same price as eircom anyway.

they have DSL with IBB because there is/was no cap with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

admol wrote: »

Wen I signed up there was no cap

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

If that acceptable usage policy is for old IBB users, 25times your download speed isn't so bad when you're upgraded to 7.6Mb. That'd be 190GB allowance, hmm doubt that will stand after the upgrades! I only changed over to them a few months ago as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Drifter

I signed up for a 1 MB uncapped IBB Ripwave package in Dec 2007.

They've now capped the service at 10 GB. I've exceeded the cap this month and they've cut me back to dial up speeds for the rest of the month.

Has anyone here successfully challenged this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 krust

Advertisement