Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgrad funding

• 20-07-2008 9:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

I'm doing a masters in good ol Dublinthis September. I'll be over 23 when I start but I'm not sure if I'm eligable. Will my last years salary be considered? Or will the fact I'm quitting my job give me any help ?

I've been living in the uk and earning equiv to 70 - 90k euro. Probably move in with the parents to save on moola.

Comments

damnyanks wrote: »
    Howdy,

I'm doing a masters in good ol Dublinthis September. I'll be over 23 when I start but I'm not sure if I'm eligable. Will my last years salary be considered? Or will the fact I'm quitting my job give me any help ?

I've been living in the uk and earning equiv to 70 - 90k euro. Probably move in with the parents to save on moola.

Hi damnyanks,

I assume it's a taught masters with no funding provided by the college? To be eligible for the grant as a mature student in Ireland you have to have been over 23 on the 1st of January in the year you're looking to start your course, so if you have just gone 23 you wouldn't be eligible. Furthermore there are certain requirements to do with residency which would probably hurt your application somewhat.

4.1 Residence

4.1.1 The candidate's parents or guardians, or, in the case of an independent mature candidate, the candidate herself/himself, shall have been ordinarily resident in the administrative area of the Local Authority from 1 October 2006. The Local Authority shall have discretion to waive this requirement in exceptional circumstances.

^^ From http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/support_higher.doc?language=EN

So if you would be moving back in with your parents you would have to apply under both your income (which would be 0 since you'd be applying under a 'change in circumstances' since you're leaving your job) and your parents' income since you would be 'dependent' on your parents in the eyes of the Council.

So to (finally!) sum up and answer your questions - your previous salary won't be considered since it would be a change in circumstances, although you moving back in with your parents would bump you into the 'dependent' category which would mean both income levels would be taken into account (0 + x). The combined total would have to be less than the income limit, which is available on here (down in the 'Family Income Limit' section, and will be updated when the information becomes available).

If there's anything else feel free to ask. There are of course scholarships in various colleges for postgraduates so it might be worth contacting the college to see what's available. Plus have a look at the other finance section of StudentFinance.ie for some more information.

Hope this helps!

Dónal / Myth

Advertisement