Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ESB : 12 or 16 kVA

• 20-07-2008 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm about to apply for ESB (even though I've just started building) but I'm not sure which supply to go for.

We won't have a heat pump, but we will have 3 showers in the house (1 upstairs, 1 downstairs and 1 en-suite)

Also - I may be doing a bit of welding in the future.

ESB recommends 16kVA for heat pump, or if you've a farm and they mention you may need it if you're doing welding.

If I go for the 16kVA supply is there any price difference in the install ? Or in the actual electricity cost ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance !!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Part of the form will need to be completed by an electrician so if you havent decided on this part of the project you should do so now and get the electrician to advise you.

It's about €600 extra for an "enhanced" conection, I originally applied for one then backed out as I decided against GSHP.

As far as I know the only difference is the size of fuse at the meter and "headroom" allowed on the cabling back to the sub-station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Part of the form will need to be completed by an electrician so if you havent decided on this part of the project you should do so now and get the electrician to advise you.

I don't have an electrician yet as I've just started building, and I want to get the application in ASAP as they can take AGES to do the install, so I was looking to get as much input from people as possible, in addition to their experiences.

I will talk to an electrician before I make the final decision, but like I said, I'd just like to hear what people think here also.

By the way - there is no section that must be filled out by an electrician - it's all pretty basic :
    http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/downloads/domestic_new_connection.pdf
    You basically tick either 12kVA or 16kVA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

It's about €600 extra for an "enhanced" conection.

Is that a one off payment or is there an increase in the annual service charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

It clearly states on the form too consult your electrician.

Also they've made massive improvements in connection times. 4 weeks is the wait in Cavan, down form 3 months 2 years ago.

• Advertisement

It clearly states on the form too consult your electrician.
    Yep - but it's hardly a section that "will need to be completed by an electrician"...
    Also they've made massive improvements in connection times. 4 weeks is the wait in Cavan, down form 3 months 2 years ago.
    That's good to know - will be interesting to see how long it does actually take - I'm just at foundation level currently and I talked to ESB on the phone and they advised to apply now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

deadl0ck wrote: »
    I will talk to an electrician before I make the final decision, but like I said, I'd just like to hear what people think here also.

By the way - there is no section that must be filled out by an electrician - it's all pretty basic :
    http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/downloads/domestic_new_connection.pdf
    You basically tick either 12kVA or 16kVA
    Sorry I meant to say in an earlier post that you should get an electrician to assist rather than complete. Q's 7, 8 and 9 would dictate a bit of input from an electrician unless you knowledgeable in this regard.

Ah OK - I thought I was missing something, or looking at the wrong form :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cinny

im feeling confused am trying to complete my esb connction form but question 7 is throwing me off. im going with a heat pump and am awre i will need a 16kva connection however i havent got an electrician on board yet still getting quotations but am not sure about the continious operating current starting current and minium interval between starts. im using a nibe fighter 1240. any help would be much appreciated

The heatpump supplier should be able to provide that information.

• Advertisement
Advertisement