Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found Sick Cat

Options
  • 20-07-2008 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

I found a cat lying on the ground outside our house this morning, it was conscious but twitching and shaking and not able to stand up. My OH thinks it has maybe eaten poison. I can't seem to find an emergency vet in our area (moyvalley) and in the meantime i've been trying to feed it some milk using a plastic syringe. It has swallowed a good few sips and this seems to have calmed the twitching but it's still not able to move around. Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this? I know it needs to see a vet but I think it'll be the morning before I can get it to one, and i'm also worried about how much they will charge to help it as I am completely broke! Will they still help if we have no money? Or will they just put it down? I feel so helpless for the little guy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

There has to be some kind of vet on call? If there's no answer at the surgery then there's usually a message at the end telling you what to do in an emergency. Try your local SPCA as well, they might know who the emergency vet for the area is.

If the cats not yours then the SPCA may offer to help with costs or the vet might let you arrange a payback scheme with them or take the cat themselves.

Don't give the cat milk, it'll give him the runs, water only if you must.

Which Moyvalley are you in? If it's Meath then here's a list of local vets, start with the ones closest to you and work your way out. http://www.goldenpages.ie/search.ds?encodedRefinement=heading..%3d..%5e%22Veterinary+Surgeons%22%24..%26..Veterinary+Surgeons&stageName=&what=vets&where=Meath&startingPageNumber=1&originalOffset=1&expandWWWSearch=false&myplaces=false&distance=50&searchType=www&activeSort=yprandom4&phoneNumberSearch=false&alphaRefineable=AN15%7CBN5%7CCN5%7CDN6%7CEN0%7CFN7%7CGN1%7CHN1%7CIN0%7CJN0%7CKN1%7CLN1%7CMN4%7CNN1%7CON4%7CPN1%7CQN0%7CRN2%7CSN2%7CTN1%7CUN0%7CVN0%7CWN1%7CXN0%7CYN0%7CZN0%7C%5B0-9%5DN0&excludeZone=false&restoSearch=false&firstMaxRank=0&residential=false&previousPath=search

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭theonlygirl

Thanks for that, i'm trying a fe of those numbers now. She/he seems to be a bit calmer now, the twicthing and shaking has stopped but she's sleeping very heavily so I don't know. Hopefully it will pull through, does anyone know what kind of chances a cat has in this situation? I'd love to keep it if it manages to get better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Poisoning is a very serious thing and you need to get him to a vet asap!!!!

If it can't stand up is it possible it has been hit by a car and sustained internal injuries check it's nails if they look really scuffed then chances are it's been hit again get it to a vet asap.

The only vet I konw is ucd I brought a cat there that had it's tail riped of and they asked me to sign it over to the spca and they would pick up the bill if I couldn't locate the owner luckly I found the owner and she was insured. You could ring the spca on monday and fill them in on the situtation and ask if you could adpot him, you just have to get him their?

Try ringing a local vet you should be given an emergency no. ring them and ask who the animal wil go under if you can't afford to pay for it and then you can contact them on monday to ask to adopt it.

If piosoned then only give him water. Get advice from emergancy vet before you leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Any news on the little fella? Hope you managed to sort something out. There is usually one vet in the area on call for out of hours I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭theonlygirl

I had no luck finding a vet yesterday, I did get 2 emergency numbers and both rang out!:( I kept an eye on him all night and brought him to DSPCA this morning, was quite upset as i've got quite attached to him (I know i've only had him a day but i'm an animal nut!) and I was sure they were going to have to put him down. But the vet nurse took one look, said it was a common case of poisoning from some chemical that people use to kill pigeons, and that a day under the heat lamp will have him back to normal! So they are keeping him in overnight and calling me tomorrow to let me know how he is. She said it looks quite horrific to us as he is spasming and reacting very badly to loud noises but it's actually quite a common occurence and the heat lamp sweats it out of them. He's a boy, he's now named Christopher and I hope to take him home once he's better! Very happy and relieved he's ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Thats great you managed to help him! :D Well done you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Well Done OP, it's always good to hear stories of this nature. I hope you have him for many years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Good to know it is something that can be treated. Well done for taking such good care of him, I'm sure he will bring you lot's of joy in return.:)

Advertisement