Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some pictures I took recently

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

I put in my own perches, if you know they are on the river/lake just
    put up a couple of perches and you will find they will use them, especially if you throw a bit of fish food in and around the perches to attract the fish, they will come to where the food is. Early morning is best but if they are feeding a brood any time, they have about three broods a year so they only have the fledglings with them for about a week or so before chasing them out of the area and starting again.

This was taken with a 150-500mm lens on a Nikon D200 at 500mm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

0875153E3E0F45BEA6E35C80B6C92596.jpg

633F639EE67B447C8D775A66B9823481.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Training my Goshawk! She's just over 11 weeks old.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKefCiZgpBU

Great sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Always enjoy this forum folks - my first post here - taken in Poland recently.

123369.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

Sitting in the gaden an hour or so ago and I seen something strange fly by me and land in the lawn. Went over and took a closer look and it was mating bumblebees.. Pics below

Out of interest, the National Biodiversity Data Centre down in Waterford have just published a really good guide to true and cuckoo irish bumblebees, i got mine for €3 but that was cost price....

http://www.biodiversityireland.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 24,492 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

SAM_0348.jpg

Total Fitness in Sandyford, I nearly hit it turning into the place. There was a female on the other side, to the left of the photo. Couldn't get a shot before they disappeared off.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Stray_Cat

1st time posting (dont think it will be my last),lots of great pictures here:D
    took this while in Craggaunowen – the Living Past Experience in Galway
    4880190544_99684c82cb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,492 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

(Partial) View off the back balcony
    SAM_0351.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

We have a preponderance of these 'red-arse' bumble bees in our garden this year.

DSC_0668.jpg

This pretty guy landed on my arm today, and stayed for a while. Wouldn't do it while I had the camera though!
    dragonfly2.jpg

dragonfly1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

Think its a longhorn beetle.

6C5A3984024A4C6D8662D15F55CD3338-800.jpg

and a classic butterfly one.

E591C7C407EF4E288E0A066C5C401363-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

This is freddie the frog my resident fly catcher:)

frog1ed.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

Some swans on the nearby lake ;)

img8507.jpg

img8478g.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

v5agk4.jpg
    Bee orchid from Mallorca Spain.:)
    Never seen one in Ireland though:(

amz8e0.jpg

Adult female Green Crowned Brillant (hummingbird) from the Monteverde cloud forest Costa Rica from 2008.

GGBC-3.jpg

Taken in Howth harbour, they were massive! This was just under the water but got a nice bit of eye contact with him.
    Adaybythesea-44.jpg

I wonder are they all scars around his face from fighting?
    Cool photo:)

I wonder are they all scars around his face from fighting?
    Cool photo:)

Could be, they fairly scrap over the fish that is thrown in for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Alliandre

Bee orchid from Mallorca Spain.:)
    Never seen one in Ireland though:(

I've seen them here a few times, but they can be quite hard to find.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 costelcp

Hi I am a 4th year zoology student.I just started my final year project which involves the study of the distribution and habitat of the common lizard(lacerta vivpara) in the south dublin uplands and I am looking for any information regarding sightings in the dublin mountains in particular around the DUBLIN WAY area.

If anyone has seen lizards in that area and also if possible if they have the grid reference/location in which they saw the lizard could you please let me know?

cheers

This little fella had been visiting our garden, feeding on dry cat food and the slugs which were feeding on the cat food!

BEB7C42C105C45CEBBE9B5CE5DEE4C48.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Smartypantsdig

I have come across lizards in many parts of Ireland, but mostly in Dublin/Wicklow mountains. One place where I rarely if never fail to spot one is near the old lead mines on the road between Laragh and the Wicklow Gap.

cheers for that thats extremely helpful!I dont suppose you would have any grid references for your sightings?if not dont worry.
    Anywhere else in the dublin mountains that you have come accross them?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The IWT do / have done a lizard survey in the past, and I've certainly forwarded on any sightings I've made in the Wicklow Mountains with grid references and everything. The last report I remember seeing was from 2008 so I don't know if they're still actively collecting sightings.

http://www.iwt.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=65&Itemid=46

yeah i have contacts with them and am awaiting data from them.Was just curious as to any other sightings which may not have been recorded and in particular sightings in the dublin miountains.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

This guy came into the house this evening, cant remember seeing one of these before. Looks kinda vicious in a way, but also quite beautiful. It certainly got a bit stroppy when I got near it, and you can see it raising one of it's legs in warning in one of the photos.

Anyone know what it is?

picture.php?albumid=56&pictureid=7064

picture.php?albumid=56&pictureid=7065

picture.php?albumid=56&pictureid=7067

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

gona have a stab in the dark and say an ant!
    or something of that ilk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

It's an ichneumon wasp. (parasitic wasp) They inject eggs into hosts which are often caterpillars. They don't sting as such but may have venom and I have experienced a mild sting from one.

• Advertisement

I suspected a type of wasp alright, but the fact it came in the window at night was making me think it was something else as I didn't think wasps would be nocturnal in general.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement