Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some pictures I took recently

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Art Deko

9170684412_f28711d742_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭splish

Keeled Skimmer?
    epnu.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Fruit1985

Some more shots taken in Phoenix Park today

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Fruit1985 wrote: »
    Some more shots taken in Phoenix Park today

mandarin duck with a white mutation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

splish wrote: »
    Keeled Skimmer?
    It is.
    Black-tailed Skimmer also has blue abdomen, but there are a number of differences, not least the pterostigma (the coloured cell near outer part of wing) which is dark in Black-tailed, but yellow in Keeled.

Also Black-tailed Skimmer is not resident in Wexford. (If this was taken in Wexford) Though that doesn't exclude wanderers.

• Advertisement

9177213554_f95e1f46ab_c.jpg

Treecreeper in a grove of trees in our garden.
    ysr2.jpg

9176255355_63076e1a7e_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭glaswegian

9186845294_7fb3d46ca3.jpg
    june 13 018 by glaswegian58, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Art Deko wrote: »
    9177213554_f95e1f46ab_c.jpg
    9167950137_04678d5307_c.jpg
    9176255355_63076e1a7e_c.jpg

The quality of the photos on this thread are amazing and not just Art Dekos, but I do suspect that Art Deko has these birds brought to his properly lit professional studio, gets them relaxed with a nice meal, soft music and promises of stardom and then takes hundreds of photos of them and after many hours of hard work, puts one of them here for our enjoyment; or, he is just an excellent photographer putting the rest of us to shame. :D

• Advertisement

Thank you. That made me laugh out loud :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Thank you. That made me laugh out loud :-)

Come on man
    Get with the times.
    It's LOL.
    Jeez :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pensivepuca

I don't take good photo's but I do have a very amusing wood pigeon who has been coming to my garden for years.

He tends to hang about and look in my window at times, and sometimes he has a little skirmish with the local gang of magpies over bird seed.

I also found a nesting pair of what seem to me to be Buzzards, not a good picture to be honest, I must go back soon.

When on holiday last year I seen a hawker who had to deal with pigeons so had a picture of his wonderful work partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

I disagree! Terrific atmospheric photo of a buzzard on the ground where they spend more time then people think, well done!

Thanks, but compared to the standard of ArtDeco mine are rather dodge :p. The atmosphere of the buzzard was because I had to fall into a hedge and had poor zoom :p. I have literally 100s of local bird photos as references for drawing for my final A level year, I must share some of those pics. Glad I found this subsection of boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

That Harris hawk wasn't in London by any chance there's a lad over there that uses it for the pigeons there
    Also in Edinburgh and most cities
    Pity can't use mine in Dublin :( pigeons are infesting the place. Only so much the peregrine can take :)

^ Yeah, Trafalgar Square it self, lovely creatures and such an old trade. As much as I have a soft spot for pigeons, keeping numbers down makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Goldfinches - first I've seen at my feeeders

Goldfinches2copy_zpsccdd3bc5.jpg~original

Goldfinches5copy_zps4fa66dee.jpg~original

Goldfinch7copy_zps0766879c.jpg~original

Long-tailed Tit
    5jv3.jpg

9200014993_d5bc62b35b_c.jpg

• Advertisement

In Derry library yesterday and a pigeon flew in :P

Collared dove in my garden today along side a wood pigeon.

Bull finches about too with baby tits.

Seen a few swifts on my walk, no pictures of those bullets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Sandpiper
    9208271218_526309d1ee_c.jpg
    Blackheaded and other gulls
    9205521565_041f2a91c6_c.jpg
    Gull taking off
    9208208030_444a2f10ba_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Some from yesterday, haven't been out in a while... all from Newcastle, Wicklow area..

Stonechat (m)..
    Schatm_zpsc011b6da.jpg

Stonechat (f)..
    Schatf5_zpsb5e3b9bb.jpg

Linnet (m)..
    Linnetm_zpsb99608f2.jpg

Reed Bunting (f)..
    RBuntingf3_zps31d83aaa.jpg

House Sparrows (j).. large family group, approx 9..
    SPARROWSJ2_zpsc3636a63.jpg

Beetle Bug..???
    Bug2_zpse594a28f.jpg

Whimbrel fly over.. heading south..(thanks Openyoureyes))
    Curlew_zpsc95375a8.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

V Bull wrote: »
    Curlew fly over.. heading south..

Possibly a Whimbrel, just judging by the bill? It doesn't really seem to have the eyestripe Whimbrels usually have, but the beak looks a lot less curved than a Curlews. I've seen a lot more Whimbrel than Curlew around my area the past few weeks too

A white Shag!
    Presumably its leucistic, because its definitely not albino.

7D66399A80B44198B1A8F804666D7BB9-0000342048-0003298825-00640L-6382BAC1B25945BFB1A93040226D2763.jpg

Mothman wrote: »
    It is.
    Black-tailed Skimmer also has blue abdomen, but there are a number of differences, not least the pterostigma (the coloured cell near outer part of wing) which is dark in Black-tailed, but yellow in Keeled.

Also Black-tailed Skimmer is not resident in Wexford. (If this was taken in Wexford) Though that doesn't exclude wanderers.
    Hi Mothman, I was just wondering what field guide you would recommend for dragonflies and damselflies. Looking online it looks like Brooks & Lewington's and Smallshire & Swash's field guides are the most popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Possibly a Whimbrel, just judging by the bill? It doesn't really seem to have the eyestripe Whimbrels usually have, but the beak looks a lot less curved than a Curlews. I've seen a lot more Whimbrel than Curlew around my area the past few weeks too

I think you're right Openyoureyes, the legs aren't extending past the tail either, it was the wing feather pattern that I was looking at, I'll correct the title so, thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 soupdragon

One from a month or so ago, still in Mozambique and still not seen a single seabird - only a couple of flying fish :-(
    9207597759_03105b4e71_b.jpg
    Stonechat - male (Saxicola rubicola)

Azure damselfly?
    e465.jpg
    Female Emerald damselfly?
    y2bc.jpg
    aknk.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Poppies with one bee
    OneBeeinaPoppycopy_zpsb12c50e8.jpg~original