Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some pictures I took recently

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

I passed this poor creature on the roadside today near Gormanston Co Meath:
    Roadkill1_zpsd8c6569b.jpg

Took a closer shot of the rear paws:
    Roadkill2_zpscafaa6e5.jpg

I thought it might be a mink, but not sure. Can anybody give me a positive ID?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭stevensi

Unfortunately it's not a mink. Looks like it's an otter.

I was watching BBC winterwatch the other night and they mentioned that there had been a lot of otters reported as road kill in the UK due to the recent floods. Otters are looking for leaving rivers that have become swollen due to all the rain they had and once on roads there is always a chance they will be killed...

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Art Deko

12224027354_57f363a049_c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

stevensi wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's not a mink. Looks like it's an otter.

I was watching BBC winterwatch the other night and they mentioned that there had been a lot of otters reported as road kill in the UK due to the recent floods. Otters are looking for leaving rivers that have become swollen due to all the rain they had and once on roads there is always a chance they will be killed...
    x2
    The feet are much too large to be mink. Also the tail is very broad at the base, narrow in mink. Pity it wasn't a mink:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The tail is more than half the body length so also not a mink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Can see the webbed feet on it. Mink dont have webbed feet

Oh yes they do have webbed feet. Not a noticeable as in an otter but webbed all the same.

Oh yes they do have webbed feet. Not a noticeable as in an otter but webbed all the same.

Very slight webbing where you have to pull the toes apart and really look. I personally would say no. The webbing is noticeable on an otter as it is in the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

If it's an otter why is it so small?

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    If it's an otter why is it so small?

Seems to be a young female.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Art Deko

12227137134_eb502f6ded_c.jpg

12227135024_faa1d8c1ed_c.jpg

Probably Bass
    12255819156_92823692a5_c.jpg
    Fish jumping in stormy seas by Spookwoman, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Art Deko, as usual fantastic shots, Spook Woman, what a catch.

A couple of Mute Swans (Male and Female?) at Loughrea lake, i must upload the flock of Whooper Swans i stumbled across too

12257136676_e066fee02f_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Bull Island today

12304969596_ff7574df43_c.jpg
    IMG_7966 by carl cotter, on Flickr

12304378175_769a1f907a_c.jpg
    IMG_7969 by carl cotter, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

spookwoman wrote: »
    Probably Bass
    12255819156_92823692a5_c.jpg
    Fish jumping in stormy seas by Spookwoman, on Flickr

I've been zooming in on that for while as it was annoying me what it was. Looks like a wrasse. I've seen them jumping in the surf after bait fish which is the only time you'd see them near the surf.
    Could be wrong but body shape says wrasse.
    Great shot of it. Perfect timing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Phone scoped this Great Northern Diver at Ballyvaughan Pier today !

Did you see any Black throated divers? That's the best place in the Country to see them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Did you see any Black throated divers? That's the best place in the Country to see them.

For any of the Divers you have a decent chance of seeing them from any decent headland or harbour around Ireland tbh.

Unfortunately no Black Throated Divers today - they were on my tick list but no joy ! Got them there last year however, and I see them listed on Irishbirding as sighted at this location last weekend. Plenty of GND's though and a few distant Red Throated but hard to scope as sea was choppy enough ! Also plenty of Razorbills and Black Guillemots and a few Common Scoters . Was hoping for a few Long Tailed Duck even but roads around Finvarra/ New Quay torn up by weekend storms and hard to get to shoreline .

For any of the Divers you have a decent chance of seeing them from any decent headland or harbour around Ireland tbh.
    Great Northern Diver/Red throated diver are widespread, however Black throated diver are not. I have only ever seen them in the Ballyvaughan area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Great Northern Diver/Red throated diver are widespread, however Black throated diver are not. I have only ever seen them in the Ballyvaughan area.

Sightings in Down, Donegal, Sligo, Galway, Clare, Kerry, Cork, Wexford, Wicklow and Louth since the start of November.

I know they're not common, but from the looks of the sighting locations it's not easy to narrow down where you might have a good chance of seeing the next one.

Most sightings from Donegal, but as with everything you have to wonder if that's because of survey bias.

Sightings in Down, Donegal, Sligo, Galway, Clare, Kerry, Cork, Wexford, Wicklow and Louth since the start of November.

I know they're not common, but from the looks of the sighting locations it's not easy to narrow down where you might have a good chance of seeing the next one.

Most sightings from Donegal, but as with everything you have to wonder if that's because of survey bias.
    If you look at your Bird Atlas 2007-2011 the main site is Ballyvaughan area. Other areas are sporadic at best, but if you want a good chance to see them birders go to Ballyvaughan area. I do a good amount of seawatching. I'm no expert either though.

If you look at your Bird Atlas 2007-2011 the main site is Ballyvaughan area. Other areas are sporadic at best, but if you want a good chance to see them birders go to Ballyvaughan area. I do a good amount of seawatching.

Reading back through the thread and I see that you said "That's the best..." - I had originally thought you said "What's the best...", so sorry about that! I can see how my comments might have come across as argumentative, wasn't my intention.

From looking at the Bird Atlas it seems that because of the inlet there there is a longer stretch of coast from which you could see a BND alright, but that being said it doesn't look like it's any more popular than Donegal, Mayo or Cork, and I'm sure survey effort plays a part in that too.

But anyway, sorry about that mix up! My sea-watching experience is still limited and I've never seen a BND myself, so I won't be saying any more!

Reading back through the thread and I see that you said "That's the best..." - I had originally thought you said "What's the best...", so sorry about that! I can see how my comments might have come across as argumentative, wasn't my intention.

From looking at the Bird Atlas it seems that because of the inlet there there is a longer stretch of coast from which you could see a BND alright, but that being said it doesn't look like it's any more popular than Donegal, Mayo or Cork, and I'm sure survey effort plays a part in that too.

But anyway, sorry about that mix up! My sea-watching experience is still limited and I've never seen a BND myself, so I won't be saying any more!
    No offence taken OpenYourEyes. I do like a geeky discussion though:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

That's a good shot from a phone. Well done

GreyEagle wrote: »
    That's a good shot from a phone. Well done

Thanks for that ! I was using a Meopta phone scope adaptor (Christmas present) , comes in handy but takes a bit of practice , especially with birds that move about all the time or constantly feeding divers on fairly choppy water !

I've been zooming in on that for while as it was annoying me what it was. Looks like a wrasse. I've seen them jumping in the surf after bait fish which is the only time you'd see them near the surf.
    Could be wrong but body shape says wrasse.
    Great shot of it. Perfect timing :)
    Its a good bit out that fish, camera was at 75mm, i was at least 100 yards from the shore. Had my dad look at it and he thought bass but as you said could be a big wrass

Chaffinch - Male and Female
    B7273F6FB1924F989302AE68653E56E7-0000342048-0003494538-00640L-A91481C0877B44EB9619CEFC6680B6FC.jpg

77CD87FFD6B44191ADC85949A2F382BE-0000342048-0003494547-00640L-A76238D7FEB54FE4AB83A42D73DCEA2D.jpg

Great Tit
    EEAD604C61EE4C2088BC7FAA31CFA9EF-0000342048-0003494542-00640L-728FCBADC07042148973F9A195A11265.jpg

Greenfinch
    5A772C51D08542A0BD2EC1883C7F24A0-0000342048-0003494540-00640L-546C2D5EB74B4BD4A8594A0BE7623391.jpg

Goldfinch
    5FA497CC63AC4107A6EAD6DE1AD944FC-0000342048-0003494546-00640L-B0320C8AB29C4F02A4E19D34C91AB7FA.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

292939.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement