Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some pictures I took recently

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Best time of the year again, Hen Harrier time! :D

7S5D6995.jpg

7S5D7062.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

Blue Fleabane Erigeron acer

This species of plant is becoming scarce by all accounts, and is difficult to find.
    I spotted it several weeks ago in an old quarry close to Pollardstown Fen. It's a protected species in Northern Ireland:

21543670418_c68d867bd3_z.jpg

21545358849_b022f16009_c.jpg

Autumn Gentian Gentianella amarella

21718084342_3578c5e371_z.jpg

21541774290_601dcb3920_c.jpg

Bumblebee sp.

I didn't get a chance to see the colours on this Bumblebee before it took off, so couldn't make a definite I.D. However, if you look closely, you will see a parasitic mite on the thorax just behind its head:

21741146541_223cbb5a20_c.jpg

Bronze Shieldbug Troilus luridus

20978997294_e825e6af67_z.jpg

14-Spot Ladybird Propylea quatuordecimpuncta

21550550750_2a0aaab645_z.jpg

A small shoal of Roach Rutilus rutilus

This small shoal was seen in the Grand Canal recently. I remember being on a barge trip as a child and seeing huge shoals of fish in the canal, but it's just not something you ever see now, whatever's going on?!

21520133606_16656ca955_c.jpg

Liberty Cap Psilocybe semilanceata

Some of you may be familiar with this fungus!:)

21421578930_ee9df2b317_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Some beautiful pics there Bonedigger... love the wildflower ones.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

21757005985_d77132268e_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Nightforce 65X55

Great moon Photo opportunity tonight , its a blood moon when the moon is closest to earth.....

363984.jpg

363983.jpg

363982.jpg

• Advertisement

363985.jpg

363986.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Great moon Photo opportunity tonight , its a blood moon when the moon is closest to earth.....

How have you a Blood moon shot at that time last night? It wasn't red until near 3am.

How have you a Blood moon shot at that time last night? It wasn't red until near 3am.

I wasnt going to stay up that late with work today. Photoshop is great.....;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I wasnt going to stay up that late with work today. Photoshop is great.....;-)

What's the point of posting Nature photos if they are faked by photoshop? I'll never trust a shot of yours again.

What's the point of posting Nature photos if they are faked by photoshop? I'll never trust a shot of yours again.

That is the only photo i have aleterd in colour or used. If you dont like it fair enough. But if you think that photos used by professional photographers. And i am not a professional photographer,or being paid for photos, are all perfect straight out of the camera for publication and are not changed or enhansed pre publication you are very mistaken. That is mainly in digital photography so if you want as close to nature / actual colour ,tone etc you should only look at 35mm or large format film photos and even they get tweeked to a lesser degree. That photo of the moon was my artistic interpretation of the blood moon and after seeing other photos on the net i personally think its not bad. And i am looking at other photos on the net so they have also probobly been photoshopped, basically if you dont like it fair enough but some will and others wont. I know i dont particularly like every photo i look at but i still look at others by the same photographer.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,277 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If you have a problem with someone's photos please keep it to yourself or report them if you think it breaks the charter.

I was one of the lunatics who spent the early hours of the morning observing the lunar eclipse (and I'm bleedin' knackered now!). I took these shots from the Curragh in Co.Kildare.

At 2:58 a.m. the earth's shadow is beginning to engulf the moon:

21592529578_940556a4e0_c.jpg

The full lunar eclipse at 4:09 a.m. ..........

21593726509_25e6dfafe4_c.jpg

............. and at 4:29 a.m. this morning:

21592766060_6e8fc7ab9d_c.jpg

My very last shot at 5:01 a.m.

21790348171_cdd436abe8_c.jpg

Bonedigger wrote: »
    I was one of the lunatics who spent the early hours of the morning observing the lunar eclipse (and I'm bleedin' knackered now!). I took these shots from the Curragh in Co.Kildare.

Well worth the time and effort Bonedigger... those photos are brilliant and will stand the test of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Its a super moon when its closest to earth....Its a blood moon when its a lunar eclipse...I think...

keps wrote: »
    Well worth the time and effort Bonedigger... those photos are brilliant and will stand the test of time.

Thanks keps.
    I'd never really shot at night before, so I really didn't know whether the camera and lens would be up to the job, but was delighted with some of the shots. I was driving out to the Curragh when I realised I'd left the tripod at home, so all shots were taken with the camera handheld!

An Earthball of some description?
    7S5D7206.jpg

Brown Hawker?
    7S5D7262.jpg

Open to suggestions on this one. It was patrolling the same area as the Brown Hawker, but was much smaller. Abdomen had a checkerboard appearance in flight.
    7S5D7242.jpg

Kestrel
    7S5D7394.jpg

Hen Harrier
    7S5D7534.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Its a super moon when its closest to earth....Its a blood moon when its a lunar eclipse...I think...

whyulittle wrote: »

Brown Hawker?
    7S5D7262.jpg

Open to suggestions on this one. It was patrolling the same area as the Brown Hawker, but was much smaller. Abdomen had a checkerboard appearance in flight.
    7S5D7242.jpg

The top one is a Brown Hawker alright.

I can't see the colouring on the abdomen of the second dragonfly so I'm less certain, but it could be a Migrant Hawker Aeshna mixta? A teneral Common Hawker is another possibility. If pushed, I'd plump for Migrant Hawker.

Had to Google teneral :)

Just going by the NBDC swatch, which I didn't have on me at the time, the only two that match size wise are Migrant and Hairy Hawker, in that it was visibly smaller than the Brown. But going by the swatch, Hairy should be well gone at this stage.

It had a Green/Blue or Blue/Green appearance in the flesh that isn't coming across in the pic that doesn't seem to match the male or female Migrant pics on the swatch. However, googling Migrant Hawker does seem to return pics more like what I saw.

7S5D7225.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

tmp_16120_P1010116_1549594396.jpg

• Advertisement

Back garden - Coal tit

21806584632_402e504fe0_b.jpg

A Couple of days late but Here is a photo of the moon tonight , still looking very orange , and this is straight out of the camera for you , no Photoshop . It was taken less than 15mins ago with an equivalent of 1600mm ,lens with the crop factor included and is Hand Held, no tripod.

364201.jpg

whyulittle wrote: »
    Had to Google teneral :)

Just going by the NBDC swatch, which I didn't have on me at the time, the only two that match size wise are Migrant and Hairy Hawker, in that it was visibly smaller than the Brown. But going by the swatch, Hairy should be well gone at this stage.

It had a Green/Blue or Blue/Green appearance in the flesh that isn't coming across in the pic that doesn't seem to match the male or female Migrant pics on the swatch. However, googling Migrant Hawker does seem to return pics more like what I saw.

7S5D7225.jpg

@Whyulittle

Believe it or not, I took the image below at the weekend and thought what I was looking at was a female Common Hawker Aeshna juncea, but on closer inspection is in fact a female Migrant Hawker Aeshna mixta:

21625174930_b23cacd9e2_c.jpg

One distinguishing feature between the Common Hawker and the Migrant Hawker is the colour of the 'costa', which is the colour of the leading edge of the forewings; in the Common Hawker it is distinctly yellow and quite obvious, while the Migrant Hawkers have a brown costa. Your first image of this mystery dragonfly doesn't appear to have yellow costa, so chances are
    it's a Migrant Hawker. You did mention that you thought it had a green/blue tinge to it which would suggest a male Migrant Hawker, but just to complicate things further, some females are known to have paler blue markings on their abdomens too. I took the image below last month and posted it here believing it was a Common Hawker, but now know it's a Migrant Hawker :o. The blue markings on this Migrant Hawker would suggest it's a male, but if I'm wrong I stand corrected:

21088472515_5ffe7682c5_c.jpg

One other distinguishing feature on Migrant Hawkers that isn't present on other Hawker species is a 'golf tee' shaped mark on S2 of the abdomen; the image below shows this distinctive mark:

21829318581_e00f65f7d9_z.jpg

I'm not sure if any of the images I've posted above help identify your dragonfly, but I'd plump for a female Migrant Hawker.

Yeah I'm happy to go with Migrant Hawker. Thanks for the detailed replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

A few shots of what I presume are Ravens from my visit to the Grand Canyon last month. There is also a shot of a bird of prey (not sure what one) and also the tree that the Ravens were hanging out in - not a bad view eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭stevensi

I reckon that bird of prey is a turkey vulture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

stevensi wrote: »
    I reckon that bird of prey is a turkey vulture

Spot on! (I had to look it up though :D) There were also a lot of Black Tailed Hawks around but for some reason I don't seem to have taken a photo of those.

I've attached another one I took of a Raven in flight. They don't mind the tourists at all as they were getting fed Beef by loads of people when I was there. It's at a place on the West Rim where everyone stops for lunch.

I've only ever seen Ravens from a fair distance away and either in ones or twos but to see a dozen of them at the one time and so close was a joy. The noise out of them was amazing too. If a hooded crow or rook has the bark of a dog, then the Raven has the roar of a lion.

This morning

21862602515_fc5b414b5a_b.jpg

You must have been out early for that one keps....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

keps wrote: »
    This morning

21862602515_fc5b414b5a_b.jpg

Lovely shot. I think that's Cocks foot grass :). One of the most common species here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement