Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some pictures I took recently

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Nightforce 65X55

372247.jpg

372249.jpg

372250.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Male Siskin I think

2ecdutl.jpg

Glorious bit of sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

Some visitors to my bird table this weekend.
    http://s962.photobucket.com/user/mech1111/slideshow/Bird%20feeder

Also this guy shows up regular.

[IMG][/img]DSCN0668.jpg

So is he RED or GREY?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

It's Grey.

keps wrote: »
    It's Grey.

it's an Irish Grey, been out in the sun and went a bit red.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There is often understandable confusion, as Greys can show some red colouration and Reds can show traces of grey at times. The general head body and ear shapes are the real clincher.

That's a Grey.

I have been feeding Niger Seed for the goldfinches for a couple of months now to coax them into the garden. Today was the most I have seen to date , I had 12 on the feeders and not just the Niger Seed , they also like the Sunflower Hearts. Also had , Robin, Chaffinch ( Both Male & Female ), Blackbird , Sparrows , too many Starlings to count , Jackdaw , Collard Dove and Wood Pigeon , they almost cleared out all the feeders.....

372375.jpg

372376.jpg

I'm swamped with Goldfinches, 36 I have counted but there is very probably more coming and going. They have a pretty good representation on the peanuts as well as the Nijer, they are tending to crowd out the other birds, so I'm having to put out extra feeders. I tried putting out a seed mix but they ignored that and moved on to the peanuts. I also tried mixing the seed with the Nijer but I suspect they are just throwing the seed mix out and eating the nijer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Nightforce - A black and white photograph of a Goldfinch is almost sacrilege!!

TT

I thought it looked nice a bit like a sketch...

• Advertisement

a dreadful picture blow up within an inch of it's life....Bullfinch? first I've seen if so. Some distance from the house other side of a small field

2i7mxb7.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yes, Bullfinch. Typically feeding on buds.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭splish

Trichocolea tomentella (a liverwort) from local wood at the weekend. Only the second post 1900 record for Leinster & first Carlow record since 1867.

23556834729_0a93c55349_c.jpgTrichocolea tomentella by Ciarán Byrne, on Flickr

fluffed up against the wind

f9i5ty.jpg

greenfinch

Siskin in the Eucalyptus

dw26x5.jpg

A lot of activity in the Garden this Morning after the Storm passed through, plenty of birds for the Survey and a record no. of Goldfinches today at 18. there were Goldfinches , Green finches , Chaffinches , Sparrows , Blue Tits , Robins , a Wren , Starlings , Magpie , Jackdaw , Collard Doves and a Wood Pigeon . Here are a few photos.....

372588.jpg

372589.jpg

372591.jpg

372592.jpg

372594.jpg

372595.jpg

372596.jpg

372597.jpg

372598.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Keps, I have a local one now... Common occurrence along the Dodder :)

I only had my p&s with me, still decent quality.

23318231294_5476661617_b.jpg

A bit cheesy I know but.....

23838441232_1d2c7f4ed0_b.jpg

gzoladz wrote: »
    Keps, I have a local one now... Common occurrence along the Dodder :)

I only had my p&s with me, still decent quality.

Great that you have your own Kingfisher on the Dodder - great shot with a P&S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Fab photos, keep it coming...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Mod Note:

Hi Everyone. I'm sure many of you will remember our 'Picture of the Month' thread. Unfortunately, for various reasons during the year we fell behind in keeping it updated and it got to a stage after the Summer where we felt it might be best to leave it until the end of the year, to serve as a reminder of some of the fantastic photos you've all contributed throughout 2015 - not to mention providing some inspiration for the coming year!

So with that in mind I'll be updating the Picture of the Month thread on a daily basis over the next week or so to get us up to date for the new year.

Head on over to the thread now to see the picture of the month from February - a beautiful female Mandarin Duck by Bernard0368:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057260006

something to aspire to, I'm too much of a rookie to expect any of my efforts to feature any time soon.

Pair Siskins
    jhvx2g.jpg

Pair Redpoll
    206ybdt.jpg

My first Thrush

352f3n6.jpg

Siskins and Redpoll have moved on to my feeder right outside the window

eb7t7b.jpg

Spot of the day.....not great photos but I'm sure some of you will know how difficult it is to photo these! I took a couple of dozen shots and these were the best!

73ikx3.jpg
    5ahp37.jpg

cropped version

k1w909.png

Well done and well spotted the smallest bird in Europe and they don't stand still for too long either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭emo72

Since yis are both here, tell us what it is.

sorry, it's a Goldcrest. AT least I think so, I'm far from expert in these things, total beginner who has discovered a garden full of birds!

• Advertisement

what a beauty....is it a Siskin?

a3le8i.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement