Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some pictures I took recently

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

keps wrote: »
    @OYE

Congrats on those super photos of the gull - a really great set of pics for the album!

Thanks Keps! It was a nightmare trying to get the exposure right (white gull, almost black sea!), but I was happy enough with a good few of them. My first time seeing a Glaucous Gull so it's nice to have some decent shots from it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Hotei wrote: »

25784284491_e5c9251e53_z.jpg

I have tried getting photos of them and I found it nearly impossible. That photo is very beautiful. Great work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

I have tried getting photos of them and I found it nearly impossible. That photo is very beautiful. Great work.

Thank you for the kind comments.
    Believe me, I've been trying to get a decent shot of one for years too - I just got lucky! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Nightforce 65X55

These are a bit grainy , shot at 6400 ISO in late afternoon today the light was quite low / overcast , F11 i think for most and about 1/400s shutter speed and the lens @ 800mm....

381057.jpg

381058.jpg

381059.jpg

381060.jpg

381065.jpg

@ Keps ,

He was very healthy and quite lively on the ground but he had no interest in the Hare or grey crows , he appeared to be hunting for something in the grass , I couldn't see anything moving but he was probably looking for Mice / Rats or Shrews etc. When he Flew in over the Hare at first I thought he was going to grab it but then he veered off at the last second....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Sorry Nightforce- I deleted my post saying the Buzzard didn't look too well - when I realised it seemed to be feeding/eyeing on some 'prey' hidden in the grass

Great photos

@ Keps ,

He was very healthy and quite lively on the ground but he had no interest in the Hare or grey crows , he appeared to be hunting for something in the grass , I couldn't see anything moving but he was probably looking for Mice / Rats or Shrews etc. When he Flew in over the Hare at first I thought he was going to grab it but then he veered off at the last second....

Great shots N.
    It's likely it was looking for earthworms rather than small rodents.

Great shots N.
    It's likely it was looking for earthworms rather than small rodents.

Maybe , but I did see one take off with a rat yesterday that it caught in the grass, unfortunately it was too fast and I only got a very blurred photo. But they do eat earthworms , normally after the rain forces them to the surface but it hasn't rained in a while so not sure about the Worms....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Little owl.

Not the best photo as I had my p&s. Still delighted to see it.

25875132242_80f60e3b00_b.jpg

gzoladz wrote: »
    Little owl.

Not the best photo as I had my p&s. Still delighted to see it.

25875132242_80f60e3b00_b.jpg

Where did you see this Little Owl?

• Advertisement

Where did you see this Little Owl?

Hyde Park, London.

gzoladz wrote: »
    Hyde Park, London.

I thought, rather excitedly, it may have been somewhere here in Ireland. :)

I thought, rather excitedly, it may have been somewhere here in Ireland. :)

Ah apologies, should have clarified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

25373969703_7b77d0be79_c.jpg

Took the camera out for the first time after watching this set on and off for six weeks.
    This is the area they always played, last night it was all behind the camera except for this lad.

Spotted this hooded crow today in Lucan Demesne
    A few white feathers/or parts of feathers white!

Looked it up on google and only answer seemed to be Leucism?

25709125350_50fbb40e3b_o.jpghooded crow

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Spotted this hooded crow today in Lucan Demesne
    A few white feathers/or parts of feathers white!

Looked it up on google and only answer seemed to be Leucism?

Yeah partial Leucism alright! Its frequently seen in Jackdaws and Blackbirds, but can affect any bird really! Makes for some interesting looking birds!

26009983525_32a960d09a_c.jpgflight of crows

25709647470_71689dd13c_c.jpg a tree full of crows

both full size on flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Jackdaws, Keps

Jackdaws, Keps

oops - I thought jackdaws were crows:eek:

are there not some hooded crows in the tree pic?

maybe I should use 'corvids'

oops - I thought jackdaws were crows:eek:

are there not some hooded crows in the tree pic?

Some, yes. Crows is a very generic term like 'gulls' or finches. Jackdaw, Rook, Hooded Crow, Magpie, Jay, Chough etc are better used.

Generally, that is a decent flock of Jackdaws. Not easy to photograph, as they flit about a lot and are easily scared off.

• Advertisement

If there are hooded crows in the tree shot- they are also in the flight flock as it is the same group a second or 2 later.

I used the term crows as I thought there was more than one 'type'.

as I edited above -maybe 'corvid' would be better

( Maybe I am reading too much of George RR Martin's stuff!) haha

If there are hooded crows in the tree shot- they are also in the flight flock as it is the same group a second or 2 later.

I used the term crows as I thought there was more than one 'type'.

as I edited above -maybe 'corvid' would be better

( Maybe I am reading too much of George RR Martin's stuff!) haha

You're not imagining things keps - there's definitely one Hoodie in the tree shot from what I can see.

As I mentioned on the original post- the full sized images of both shots are on flickr- so if you click on the tree photo and press the + button, a clearer count emerges

Lucan Demesne today

Unfortunately a bit of a branch partially obscures the face ( and his face and chest seem to be wet) - but it's always a treat to see this crow:)
    The Irish Jay

25987052176_033bb74233_b.jpgjay

Lucan Demesne today

Unfortunately a bit of a branch partially obscures the face ( and his face and chest seem to be wet) - but it's always a treat to see this crow:)
    The Irish Jay

25987052176_033bb74233_b.jpgjay

I have a Jay visits the garden daily but is so shy he flees at any movement. Well done on catching him at all.

[IMG][/img]25389027103_88d5f99c35_c.jpgDont Know what he has , but he is struggling with it... by Rod Wilson, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]25922918091_c11100515b_c.jpgHe's Got it... by Rod Wilson, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]25922920631_38d7309f2d_c.jpgStill at it .... by Rod Wilson, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]25717267690_15f90f1bb3_c.jpgNearly Done... by Rod Wilson, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]25385106194_e3739bf1a2_c.jpgBuzzard in Flight 3 by Rod Wilson, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]25922908911_a29c895dfa_c.jpgBuzzard in Flight 1 by Rod Wilson, on Flickr

Stonechat

25934432461_1956ebc4ea_c.jpgStonechat by Brian, on Flickr

25728415440_9be86db930_c.jpgStonechat by Brian, on Flickr

25908384842_720a973253_c.jpgStonechat by Brian, on Flickr

Edit: My bad, apparently it's already sold out.

The National Biodiversity Data Centre have a 'Wildlife Photography: Fieldcraft Tips & Tricks' workshop on the 9th of April in Waterford. It's only €20 and the workshop is being given by Mark Carmody (see his Flickr here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/drcarmo/) who has published three books on Irish birds.

You can book online here: http://www.eventzilla.net/web/event?eventid=2138839073&dateid=2138918773

And there's a facebook event page for it here: https://www.facebook.com/events/984824841609119/

Just logged in to have a quick look at the workshop details...but already sold out.

• Advertisement

381218.jpg

381221.jpg

381222.jpg

381219.jpg

381220.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement