Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some pictures I took recently

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Twice now I have seen a heron being pestered by a crow in mid flight..This time not 20 foot in the air right above me....and twice no camera with me..not even an iphone..:mad:
    Someone shoot me please...;)

@pegasus- I didn't know that could happen until I saw it myself a couple of yrs ago ( when newly arrived here)

See post 3921 here and the replies!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90879780

keps wrote: »
    @pegasus- I didn't know that could happen until I saw it myself a couple of yrs ago ( when newly arrived here)

See post 3921 here and the replies!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90879780
    I think, when walking the dogs and even raining, I will have the camera with me..from now on..Nice capture...

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Nightforce 65X55

384820.jpg

384821.jpg

384822.jpg

384823.jpg

384824.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Tomnafinnogue wood Nightforce? Terrific pics...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

I was surprised to see a party of Brent Geese still on the Boyne this morning. They were on the Baltray side and I was at the Maiden Tower on the Mornington side. Uncropped, a bit of a stretch for my Nikon P510.
    Brent%20Geese%20on%20the%20Boyne%20in%20May_zpsen4tpnxc.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

One Kittiwake in Port Oriel, Clogherhead among all the local herring gulls;
    DSCN2685_zps6np6c4pr.jpg

He/she was good enough to settle on a nearby post:
    DSCN2725_zpsi2usktbc.jpg

• Advertisement

Great shot Keps. I was trying to track and focus on swallow's tonight but they are super fast and very erratic in flight. Hats off to you. That is not an easy photo to get....well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Great shot Keps. I was trying to track and focus on swallow's tonight but they are super fast and very erratic in flight. Hats off to you. That is not an easy photo to get....well done.

I've got probably 1000s of shots of sky and river with no sandmartins in frame!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Twice now I have seen a heron being pestered by a crow in mid flight..This time not 20 foot in the air right above me....and twice no camera with me..not even an iphone..:mad:
    Someone shoot me please...;)

When we were running our trout farm here in the BBNP we were constantly visited by Herons trying to come through the heron nets but funnily enough we had 2 pairs of crows that acted as policemen keeping the herons away. In return we made sure the crows were fed.

today

Blue tit gathering nest material

26189863484_fe71e790ab_b.jpgblue tit

26770535096_526fc583dc_b.jpgblue tit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

It looks to me like a Female Mallard with a male head.....any idea what it really is? maybe a juvenile Male?

vh49hi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

It looks to me like a Female Mallard with a male head.....any idea what it really is? maybe a juvenile Male?

vh49hi.jpg
    domestic duck/mallard hybrid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

sumtings wrote: »
    I've got probably 1000s of shots of sky and river with no sandmartins in frame!

Same, lol!!!

I am wondering if there is merit to set up a "swallows/swifts/sand martin in flight" photos thread. It is almost a different category all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

gzoladz wrote: »
    Same, lol!!!

I am wondering if there is merit to set up a "swallows/swifts/sand martin in flight" photos thread. It is almost a different category all together.
    Here's my contribution!

https://flic.kr/p/cAuHQs

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

Keps Lovely shots, I love blue tits & robins. Presume you use telephoto lens? I think I have a nest in our fire bush but I am afraid of disturbing them, will wait until they fly out looking for food and then try & check it out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

LinF wrote: »
    Keps Lovely shots, I love blue tits & robins. Presume you use telephoto lens? I think I have a nest in our fire bush but I am afraid of disturbing them, will wait until they fly out looking for food and then try & check it out

If you see birds flying in and out regularly, sometimes with food, then you more than likely do have a nest. It's best not to try and investigate it until later in the year though or you could put it at risk.just keep a close eye on the hedge from a safe distance and you should get a good idea of how the nest is progressing over the season :)

LinF wrote: »

Yes I now nearly all the time use a long (zoom) telephoto lens extended to 600mm - which helps to get 'closer' !

A strange coincidence!

Earlier in the week we were talking about crows attacking/mobbing a heron.

Well today I saw 2 pigeons having a go at a heron- it took me a sec to realise what was going on.
    Two pigeons did 2 'swoops' each before departing the scene.

Just managed to get one pic

26744574591_98b5ef6ce2_b.jpgpigeon

Actually just looking at the pic again.... could it be a female blackbird?

Thought it was a pigeon when looking through the lens:confused:

385075.jpg

385076.jpg

385083.jpg

385085.jpg

385086.jpg

There is such thing as a brown crow...very rare....!!
    A friend of mine spotted one..and someone from birdwatch ireland came and met him..

A leucistic crow..
    Leucism involves a partial or total absence of pigmentation from plumage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

It does strike me as more Thrush-like alright, was the other bird darker or the same in colour?

today

26214979863_ca775e6e7c_b.jpgorange tip

It does strike me as more Thrush-like alright, was the other bird darker or the same in colour?

To tell the truth - I don't really know.

I had zoomed in on the heron to take a photo - and I saw it 'duck' as a bird came from the right and I think it raised/snapped its beak to try to injure/deflect the bird.

Then the bird swooped again from the left and that's when I got the shot.

In fact I would not be a good police witness -and while there were 4 swoops in all and I was kinda sure there were 2 birds - it might( on mature reflection) have been only one bird coming from different directions.
    I was mainly looking through a 600mm lens.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

Meadow Pipit

26817336285_6ae95ab79e_b.jpg

26817278315_95578da1f0_b.jpg

Northern Wheatear

26817400775_55521f7d59_b.jpg

26817496895_986a487d6d_b.jpg

26213101363_3dd8a5f0d0_b.jpg

Blackcap

26724046232_d61058a02e_b.jpg